Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking-In Rotors

Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Breaking-In Rotors

Does everyone do this with all their rotors, even their spares? This seems like an incredible PITA.
Will getting cryo'd discs make this unnecessary?

I cracked a new (NAPA Canadian) disc after 5 sessions (with ducts). Changing discs is a bit less fun than driving.

Are 2-piece setups any more tolerant of going out fresh? The cost of 2-piecers seems even higher as I'll need a spare set of hats & rings to do a quick change at the track as swapping hats will take a while.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 09-19-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Cryo rotors may crack faster and in many times do crack faster.

Two piece rotors are best, but still need to be beaded as with any brake rotors or brake pads.

This is all part of the prep work for track driving.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Yes, I "season" all of my rotors using the Stoptech procedures. In fact I've got to do it again this week.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-19-2010, 09:18 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, bed them in. I'm taking it a step further this winter. I drive my car year round so I'll put some street miles on rotors over the winter on several sets of rotors. The rotors that I've used that had street miles lasted way longer than new ones that just got bedded and run on the track.

Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks for confirming.
The rotors that came on the car (bought it used) have lasted 3+ days vs. the new one lasted 5 sessions.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can thermal shock any rotor period. Two piece will be more forgiving because of the shape (flat) makes it easier for the rotor to deal with the expansion and contraction as it does not have the solid cone fighting expansion.. Stoptech had good seasoning procedure on their white paper section. If I did that I was lucky. I just ate the splits. When braking you can say "I hate changing rotors" tens times on each corner approach and you mat treat them a tad better when braking hard! Scrub less speed and go faster through the corners for better rotor life. As I got faster the rotors lasted a slight bit longer. I learned to only murder them in hotter competition or looking for a lap time even though it's a HPDE.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

they tend to last a bunch longer if you can street drive them first. Sometimes there is no option but to take a new one out of the box and flog it, but new ones with no heat cycles/seasoning seem to pop quick.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
they tend to last a bunch longer if you can street drive them first. Sometimes there is no option but to take a new one out of the box and flog it, but new ones with no heat cycles/seasoning seem to pop quick.
At an HPDE you don't need to flog a new one during its very first session. Backing off and driving an 80% session will season the rotor.

Bill
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I'd love to have the time to bed all my spares. Most of the time it ends up being an at the track thrash then right to grid. If I'm lucky I'll get a chance to run up and down the street outside the track for a couple min. Probably get a ticket doing that one of these days.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Ben,
Been through this with G (silver C6) all season. We've bedded not bedded. Slotted, eliptical, plain, cryo and non-cryo. Different brand and pad compounds. Ducts or no ducts. Cheaper rotors (NAPA, Centric, etc ) are going to last you 3-5 track days like you ran with us. More expensive I.e. two-piece rotors will last longer but at many times higher price. Best suggestion is stock up and replace them before each event or invest in a good battery powered impact wrench and get used to changing them.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks Jim.

It isn't so much the time it takes to change the rotors, it is the time I miss on the track.
I have had much better luck with used as opposed to new rotors, so I'll put in the time to break-in my spares and hope for the best before looking to a floating setup. Even at $155 for spare Coleman rings, that is a pricey setup.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Thanks Jim.

It isn't so much the time it takes to change the rotors, it is the time I miss on the track.
I have had much better luck with used as opposed to new rotors, so I'll put in the time to break-in my spares and hope for the best before looking to a floating setup. Even at $155 for spare Coleman rings, that is a pricey setup.
Interesting that you bring up Coleman. Discussions with Fred B from the club he has a long standing relationship w them and says he has custom rotors cut for his 911 that last all year. His car is lighter than ours but still worth a try. Most other 2pc rotors are over 200ea for rings. It will be an off-seasonpurchase for me along with ducts new SKF hubs and a few other items. Also pulling carpet etc. Almost looking forward to winter. (not really )

Get notified of new replies

To Breaking-In Rotors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breaking-In Rotors