Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clockwise NCCAR with Asphalt Ventures Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Default Clockwise NCCAR with Asphalt Ventures Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbL6cMj7ixQ

a few laps at the new facility running Clockwise. There are also videos running CCW from the spring. I prefer CCW, as running clockwise makes the last 3 corners quite dangerous (may not be obvious in the video), and makes turns 7-8 just continuations of the carousel. Running CCW, those 2 corners (they become 5-6) require a bit of brakes and speed management to master.

Anyway, enjoy!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
m3to335
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeze, there's not much in the way of passing zones there.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM
edz
Instructor

Great shot of you passing me at 6:15, in the black Cobra.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Where is this track?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Roanoke Rapids, NC, I95 just below the Virginia Line. It is wide, and there are places to pass, just a LOT of the folks this weekend didn't seem to understand "passing anywhere". It is actually pretty easy to pass in many of the corners, since they are mostly constant radius and go on forever.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Roanoke Rapids, NC, I95 just below the Virginia Line. It is wide, and there are places to pass, just a LOT of the folks this weekend didn't seem to understand "passing anywhere". It is actually pretty easy to pass in many of the corners, since they are mostly constant radius and go on forever.
Its easy to pass - one takes the inside line and lets the other take the outside. IIRC the pavement is wide enough for 3 wide in those loooonnnnggg turns. Wouldn't do it though.

CCW looks a little scary - did they move the one flagstand to the other side of the track at turn 2/3 clockwise direction? CCW I'd hate to be in that flag stand.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't notice any corner stations being in horrible spots, but I didn't think to compare it to the earlier visit. I felt CCW was safe that CW, especially entering the Hairpin in a high HP car, and I definitely felt CCW was more fun. However, it is a nice track in either direction, and I'd be going back with NASA this weekend if it were a bit closer.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Darn I got my directions reversed - we ran CCW in April. Its CW thats a little scary for that corner worker. IIRC going CW that corner worker was almost a straight shot.

I like the track, can't go this weekend because of other commitments. Its also 8 hours away for me so I would have to take off a Friday and a Monday to run there.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Thanks for the video David,
I liked your line and tried to follow you when I could keep up. Your trackmate in the classroom was cool to watch. You are right about Turn 11. My buddy in the green M Coupe spun out there pretty bad Saturday and just missed the riprap and guard rail. It made him timid the rest of the event.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've watched some other video, and apparently turn 10-12 only becomes an issue in really fast cars. For me to run "flat out" through turn 9, it's hard to get turn 10 to be anything except exciting. Watching guys in the lower power cars, they have plenty of time to setup 10, and barely have to lift.

I guess that's the price you pay for wanting to go fast.

Does your friend with the M Coupe have video??? I saw him off track (I think I was with a student), but wasn't sure what happened.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:11 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

He didn't have his video hooked up. I spoke with him afterwards. He said he got in the turn too hot and then lifted. That's all it took. His back end came out and then he overcompensated and it looped around clockwise off the track. He had to clean his pants out when he got back to the paddock! That was his first day in that car and he is still getting used to it.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Man, looks like you have to work your butt off to get around that track quickly. Gret video!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by m3to335
Jeeze, there's not much in the way of passing zones there.
Actually, it is a lot better than one might think just looking from the camera perspective. From the steering wheel it gives plenty of opportunity.

David, I know what you mean about the 9 and 10. I could hit the rev at 7k but really had to nail the threshold braking to ease around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPzaJXFwYj8
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I've watched some other video, and apparently turn 10-12 only becomes an issue in really fast cars. For me to run "flat out" through turn 9, it's hard to get turn 10 to be anything except exciting. Watching guys in the lower power cars, they have plenty of time to setup 10, and barely have to lift.

I guess that's the price you pay for wanting to go fast.

Does your friend with the M Coupe have video??? I saw him off track (I think I was with a student), but wasn't sure what happened.
I agree. On what I think was my best lap through turn 9, I was not able to get 10 right. I got loose on exit and tank slapped it all the way done to 11. At the last second, all I could do was to looked around turn 11, turn the wheel, and hope it would stick. It did, but it was more than a little "exciting". I learned to give up some in 9 to make sure I could get thru 10 and 11 safely.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

David, at about the 20 second mark in the video, there appears to be a wall of Jersey barriers that all of a sudden runs parallel with the track. That looks kind of dangerous with the blunt end (the starting point) of the wall facing the track at speed. If I'm seeing that correctly, there is no chance of deflection if a car catches that thing straight on. It would only be impaled on the end of it.

Nice smooth driving, BTW!

Get notified of new replies

To Clockwise NCCAR with Asphalt Ventures Video

Quick Reply: Clockwise NCCAR with Asphalt Ventures Video