Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner Weighing a C6Z with OEM Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Corner Weighing a C6Z with OEM Springs?

Can you effectively corner weigh a C6 Z06 with the OEM transverse leaf springs? I wouldn't think you'd have enough adjustment to shift weight a meaningful amount?

TIA

Rick
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Not an issue at all. Plenty of travel to lower the car and then corner weight it too.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

yes, but you need adjustable sway bar end links to actually make everything neutral. The springs are easy to adjust, and there is ample adjustment.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps we can get David to comment on this thread as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1575393506-post14.html

Just going by gut feeling here, but it seems to me that adjusting the corner weighting of a car without adjustable end links on the sway bar is not really desirable. For example : It would force weight to be transferred to the left front when you were only trying to add it to the right front.

Would love to get some comments from a few suspension experts.

PS> Of course if you have coilovers this is not an issue.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

No, it works fine, just not as easy to do and if the links aren't adjustable you can end up with preload in the bar. That isn't a horrible thing, but in cars with the bars that are lubed, the bar can float to one side if it is preloaded. On cars with rubber mounted bars where the rubber twists in torsion, the bar won't float and it isn't an issue at all.

As noted in the linked post, it is better to remove the front links and adjust the links at the end, but you can still cornerweight with the front bar connected.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
Perhaps we can get David to comment on this thread as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1575393506-post14.html

Just going by gut feeling here, but it seems to me that adjusting the corner weighting of a car without adjustable end links on the sway bar is not really desirable. For example : It would force weight to be transferred to the left front when you were only trying to add it to the right front.

Would love to get some comments from a few suspension experts.

PS> Of course if you have coilovers this is not an issue.
Smart butt comment gone........

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 09-21-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy:

To the contrary it is the leading forum contributors like yourself that I hope will help me learn more.

Hope I am not offending you or others, simply would like to try and understand the science behind the sport.

Just trying to learn.

For example a little research points out several variables in procedure for adjusting corner weight. A few points other sources point out:

Disconnect sway bar and shocks (if possible)
Changes in ride height in one corner of the car will change the toe and camber settings
Hope those on the forum that have the real experience can share their information so others can learn.

Last edited by Dan Wendling; 09-21-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

It certainly doesn't hurt to adjust weights with fixed sway bars, but you'll never get it fully balanced....something will always be in tension. Since the OEM bars slide side-to-side, they are capable of find a neutral spot over time if it's not too far out.

As for the last question, generally the corner balancing itself doesn't require enough actual ride-height change to effect camber. The goal isn't to actually raise/lower the car, but to keep the height fixed while only changing the preload in each wheel. Sometimes cars are so far off (or the symmetry is way out of whack) that it really changes height/camber, but that is the exception not the rule.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
Randy:

To the contrary it is the leading forum contributors like yourself that I hope will help me learn more.

Hope I am not offending you or others, simply would like to try and understand the science behind the sport.

Just trying to learn.

For example a little research points out several variables in procedure for adjusting corner weight. A few points other sources point out:

Disconnect sway bar and shocks (if possible)
Changes in ride height in one corner of the car will change the toe and camber settings
Hope those on the forum that have the real experience can share their information so others can learn.
Sorry you got the wrong idea. I was talking about the other dude.

You are just fine learning and having fun. Not arguing about the small stuff

Disconnect the bars, set the weights and then put the bars back on.

We do all the cambers and toe after the rough scale is done. Then go back and tweak it a tick more. Hopefully not back and forth too much.

Randy
Old 11-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy email to ya
G
Old 11-30-2010, 01:42 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I wouldn't think you'd have enough adjustment to shift weight a meaningful amount?
Remember that you can't shift weight front to rear or left to right by simply turning the spring bolts. That can only be done by physically moving weight/ballast on the car. Adjusting the bolts can only change the weight diagonally to achieve the desired cross weight. When you raise the ride height on one corner that corner and it's diagonal opposite will gain weight and the other two will lose weight.
You'd be suprised to see how much it changes with each adjustment. Even a couple of lbs of air pressure shows a pretty significant difference.

I'm curious to know if the C6 platform is RR weight challenged as much as the C5.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'm curious to know if the C6 platform is RR weight challenged as much as the C5.
The standard C6 is pretty similar to the C5 but the C6Z and GS's put the battery in the RR so that really seems to help. I was plesently suprised the first couple Z's that I put on the scales, not only are they better balanced they are light. I'd love to see what you SE guys or geerookie could do to get one of those things stripped down high 2300's maybe?

Get notified of new replies

To Corner Weighing a C6Z with OEM Springs?

Quick Reply: Corner Weighing a C6Z with OEM Springs?