Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caster settings -

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster settings -

I know the general rule of course is less caster = quicker turn in, lighter steering but less high speed stability. Every car is different in regards to alignment of course.

I have a 99 FRC with 04 Z shocks & C6 Z bars and NT05 tires running +7 front & rear caster...has anyone gone lower than 6.4? I am looking for a quicker more immediate steering response. I'm looking for something more entertaining for street and occasional spirited driving.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I've not experimented with this, but remember even though you will need less effort to turn (with less Castor), you'll also get less camber gain on the loaded tire. So while the effort might be lower, and actual grip may be lower also.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

My car came with 7 degree and I changed it to 4.5 and a smaller steering wheel for a crisp feel. I ran 2.5 on my previous car. Theres a big diff between 2.5 and 7 regardless of car.
Im currently changing to a quick ratio rack, so I might need to go up in caster. Ill know when I get it out to the track.
Id rather have a crisp feel at the expense of minor camber gain.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Makofoto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been playing around with Caster on our '03 Z06. With minimal Caster the steering was (too) light and there was NO self centering. One had to constantly steer the car. There was also little steering "feel."

btw. I had a very quick ratio steering rack in my SCCA Street Modified Subaru WRX (with maxed out Caster). THAT was the coolest mod. Most sports car do NOT have fast enough steering!

Get notified of new replies

To Caster settings -

Quick Reply: Caster settings -