Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any comments on the Cobra Suzuka Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 PM
jsottile
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any comments on the Cobra Suzuka Seats?

Hello,
I am considering these for my 2002 Z06. I plan to mount them up to the Hardbar seat mount kit. I am 6' tall and weigh 180lbs. I will also be having Pheonixville putting in a SCCA rollcage.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I love mine. I am 5-10, 165. Be sure to recline it generously to get safe head room. Not sure if the Hardbar mount allows enough, I fab'd my own mount from 1/8" steel.
No negatives that come to mind.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 AM
txst
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pair as well and love them in my 2002 Z06 and I'm 5'11" and 170lbs.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a pair in my 03, and I love the the seats. I have them mounted on Hardbars. The seats are a very tight fit in the car.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsottile
Hello,
I am considering these for my 2002 Z06. I plan to mount them up to the Hardbar seat mount kit. I am 6' tall and weigh 180lbs. I will also be having Pheonixville putting in a SCCA rollcage.

Thanks
Joe and the gang at Phoenix installed mine. Love 'em!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Great seats!
If you are taller you will need a seat like the Suzuka, the holes for the sholder belts are higher than say a Sparco Evo.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you using the standard size or the larger gt version.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the std.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
ace996
Pro

I'm 6'4", 210lbs, and have the Suzuka GT on Hardbar rails. I really do like the seat, it's snug and the shoulder holes are perfect for me.

The install....
On other forums, people bitch about how they had to break out their multitool...that an uncle gave them when they were kids...to install something. That to install their "smoked corners" that they actually had to go outside and bend down to do an install.
On the Corvette Forum, there is really no install bitching...instead, there's the "it was a little challenging" followed by a smiley face winking. I now understand that when someone says an install is "challenging" or "we figured it out", that it's possibly maddening and could lead to a full-blown, grand-mal meltdown. This was the case with my seat install, slightly less painful than a 12 hour tattoo.

I'm no stranger to tools or doing work myself, but this seat install was a bitch. The seat is a "tight fit"...that's CF-talk, OK? It took me about 15..at least...times of putting the seat in and out to find the proper way to have the Hardbar rails line-up to fit over the studs. They were too tight and I had to use a grinder to relieve the holes in the mounts for them to fit( lengthwise). Then, once the rails were positioned properly with the seat mounted...I COULDN'T GET TO THE REAR SEAT BOLTS!!! With the seat all the way on the floor, yes it does get pretty low which I did need for headroom, and back enough for me - there was not enough space to get ANYTHING on the rear nuts to fasten the seat to floor. What I wound up doing was cutting "access holes" in the rear/bottom of the seat (under the cushions so it's not apparent) to put a socket on the nuts. This was a major PITA and something I did not want to do to my brand-new expensive, to me, racing seat. But it was the only way to mount the seat, in my mounting location.

All said and done, it took me the greater part of a day to finish the install. I was so sore from putting the seat in and out of the car to fit/cut/adjust...my back and legs were fkuced for days. Now, I'm really happy it's in and I really couldn't be happier with the result. The seat is comfortable and holds me in very well, and the Hardbar rails are beefy enough to lift the car - they are some serious mounts. I could put another seat in in half the time now, but I wouldn't volunteer to do it for anyone other than the best of my friends...it sucked that bad.

So yeah, the seat is great...and the install was a bit challenging, but I figured it out...

Be good,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 11-23-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info, do the hardbar mounts have locations to secure a 6 point harness?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:17 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

love mine! works great with a hardbar mount. I have the GT, 5'-9" 190.

I hate the stock seat now. The Suzuka is really comfy. I've driven 7 hours straight in it several times.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM
stano
Safety Car

I've got a Cobra Imola S for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited by stano; 11-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
I have a pair in my 03, and I love the the seats. I have them mounted on Hardbars. The seats are a very tight fit in the car.
Morris is overstating the "tight fit". I helped him with his install... read Ace's quote, it is a pretty good description of that "tight fit". We did not have to cut access holes in his seats, but we did have to relocate the YAW sensor. Lots of cussing and sweating -- I question my friendship with Morris every day.

-Kevin

Originally Posted by ace996
I'm 6'4", 210lbs, and have the Suzuka GT on Hardbar rails. I really do like the seat, it's snug and the shoulder holes are perfect for me.

The install....
On other forums, people bitch about how they had to break out their multitool...that an uncle gave them when they were kids...to install something. That to install their "smoked corners" that they actually had to go outside and bend down to do an install.
On the Corvette Forum, there is really no install bitching...instead, there's the "it was a little challenging" followed by a smiley face winking. I now understand that when someone says an install is "challenging" or "we figured it out", that it's possibly maddening and could lead to a full-blown, grand-mal meltdown. This was the case with my seat install, slightly less painful than a 12 hour tattoo.

I'm no stranger to tools or doing work myself, but this seat install was a bitch. The seat is a "tight fit"...that's CF-talk, OK? It took me about 15..at least...times of putting the seat in and out to find the proper way to have the Hardbar rails line-up to fit over the studs. They were too tight and I had to use a grinder to relieve the holes in the mounts for them to fit( lengthwise). Then, once the rails were positioned properly with the seat mounted...I COULDN'T GET TO THE REAR SEAT BOLTS!!! With the seat all the way on the floor, yes it does get pretty low which I did need for headroom, and back enough for me - there was not enough space to get ANYTHING on the rear nuts to fasten the seat to floor. What I wound up doing was cutting "access holes" in the rear/bottom of the seat (under the cushions so it's not apparent) to put a socket on the nuts. This was a major PITA and something I did not want to do to my brand-new expensive, to me, racing seat. But it was the only way to mount the seat, in my mounting location.

All said and done, it took me the greater part of a day to finish the install. I was so sore from putting the seat in and out of the car to fit/cut/adjust...my back and legs were fkuced for days. Now, I'm really happy it's in and I really couldn't be happier with the result. The seat is comfortable and holds me in very well, and the Hardbar rails are beefy enough to lift the car - they are some serious mounts. I could put another seat in in half the time now, but I wouldn't volunteer to do it for anyone other than the best of my friends...it sucked that bad.

So yeah, the seat is great...and the install was a bit challenging, but I figured it out...

Be good,
TomK
Old 11-24-2010, 11:45 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

It is definitely a great seat for those who don't want a fuLl containment type like the Sebring pro. I had the Suzuka in my T1 car last year and this, but I jus got a deal from Joe A on a Sebring pro, so the Suzuka will go to being a passenger seat
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevensa
Thanks for the info, do the hardbar mounts have locations to secure a 6 point harness?
Any info on the harness mounting?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mounted my lap belts and sub belts on the Hardbar seat mounts. In my opinion, the mounting locations are not perfect per the instructions that came with my harness, but they are close enough for me to be comfortable with them.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:01 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

For those of you in the Northeast who want to try on a Cobra seat and are close to Phoenixville, stop by the shop and you can try one on... We have several seats mounted in various cars that will give you a good idea of how they fit, how seat belts should be mounted etc..

We are open this friday and saturday after thanksgiving, so drop the better half off at King Of Prussia Mall (6 miles east of us) for a day of shopping and cruise on over to test fit Cobra seats.

We are an authorized dealer, so we can order whatever you need...

We do have a few used ones in stock and will sell them on the spot...Mounts and all..

Joe
Old 11-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The lap belts can be mounted to rear of the Hardbar rails close to the rear floor mount bolts. The sub belts can be mounted to the rails under the seat but depending on the design of the seat bottom you may not be able to get the seat all the way down on top of the rails due to the sub belt end pieces. That is how I have my belts connected although next season I am looking at running a horizontal bar between the two rails so I can mount the sub belts there. That will give me a little more room to get the seat lower.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Any comments on the Cobra Suzuka Seats?

Quick Reply: Any comments on the Cobra Suzuka Seats?