Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Guys Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default C5 Guys Help

Hey guys, Im getting ready for some HPDE in Nov and looking at oil filter relocation kits to run a cooler but where the heck would I mount the filter? What have you guys done?

Last edited by C5Natie; 09-27-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Hey guys, Im getting ready for some HPDE in Nov and looking at oil filter relocation kits to run a cooler but where the heck would I mount the filter? What have you guys done?
You do not need to re-locate the oil filter. There are numerous kits out there that use the oil temperature fitting above the oil filter mounting point that attach a block with either hoses already attached or threaded fittings to atttach hoses.
I've used Lingenfelter's adapter block for the past three years without any leaks or other issues.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Call Randy at DRM and have him hook you up. I put in his Setrab oil cooler and I never see a temp above 250 even with brutal flogging. He can hook you up with all the parts you need.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thanks guys. I was really trying to think up a place to put the filter and I could see a mess in the future when doing oil changes. Do the kits you guys mentioned use a thermostatic adapter?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ipuig
You do not need to re-locate the oil filter. There are numerous kits out there that use the oil temperature fitting above the oil filter mounting point that attach a block with either hoses already attached or threaded fittings to atttach hoses.
I've used Lingenfelter's adapter block for the past three years without any leaks or other issues.
This one right?
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C186
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm happy w/the DRM kit--filter is still in stock location.
For first HPDE, you won't need a cooler yet.

Andy
Old 09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I used to use the early DRM EOC kit with the Ron Davis Racing Radiator. That kit came with an adapter that bolted to the oil filter mount on the engine and then remotely mounted a larger filter to the radiator support cross bar just below the radiator. Two hoses ran from the adapter on the engine. One went to the oil filter and the other went to the cooler fitting on the bottom of the passenger side radiator end tank. Another line went from the filter to the top of the end tank. Plumbing was easy and the extra half quart of oil in the filter added a little more reserve. In a C5 with the extra quart added for road racing total oil capacity was 9 qts.

This combination really cooled the oil but also caused problems during cold weather when the oil temp would never get above 100 degrees. I added a Summit thermostatic bypass valve and the remote filter made that a plumbing nightmare since you don't want the valve to bypass the oil filter.

If you are going to use a thermostat in the oil line then I recommend you go with the block adapter mentioned above. It will make installation of the bypass much easier.

Bill
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Our new style setup is much nicer then the older (Bill's) setup. It uses the stock filter in the stock location. I'm uploading a picture now to photobucket.

I'll be back after tacos!!!

Randy
Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I used to use the early DRM EOC kit with the Ron Davis Racing Radiator. That kit came with an adapter that bolted to the oil filter mount on the engine and then remotely mounted a larger filter to the radiator support cross bar just below the radiator. Two hoses ran from the adapter on the engine. One went to the oil filter and the other went to the cooler fitting on the bottom of the passenger side radiator end tank. Another line went from the filter to the top of the end tank. Plumbing was easy and the extra half quart of oil in the filter added a little more reserve. In a C5 with the extra quart added for road racing total oil capacity was 9 qts.

This combination really cooled the oil but also caused problems during cold weather when the oil temp would never get above 100 degrees. I added a Summit thermostatic bypass valve and the remote filter made that a plumbing nightmare since you don't want the valve to bypass the oil filter.

If you are going to use a thermostat in the oil line then I recommend you go with the block adapter mentioned above. It will make installation of the bypass much easier.

Bill
Yeah deff going with a thermostatic setup. Its hot now but Im up in the foothills so itll be 30-40*F pretty in a few months.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I'm happy w/the DRM kit--filter is still in stock location.
For first HPDE, you won't need a cooler yet.

Andy
Well Ive done some competitive canyon carving, if you will, and I saw oil temps get into the 280's*F and it wasnt that hot yet outside. Here in SoCAL its in the 90s still so itll be warm till Nov. I know 280 isnt too too bad but Im sure itll be close to 300 in the summer and now Im running a setup with 12.3:1cr on a e85 mix so more power = more heat.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thanks for the tips guys. Im looking at all these kits. Hard to choose since they all look good.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We don't sell the t-stats, but they can be installed pretty easily into our kit. (4) -10 straights and you are good to go and a Mocal inline t-stat.

Randy
Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Yes that is the one I'm using but it does not have a thermostat. My EOC is inside the radiator, I use the OEM thermostat so excessivley low oil temperature has not been a problem. If it gets too cold I could partially block the air inlet to the radiator.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I mounted my remote to the pax side head (built a plate to mount to the head, attached a canton filter there).

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Guys Help

Quick Reply: C5 Guys Help