Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another C5Z Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another C5Z Suspension Question

I have participated in quite a few HPDE's and have not really taken suspension upgrades serious until now. Sure I have changed brake pads, upgraded sway bars, and purchased Nitto tires. That is it. Now I want better control.

I see many using T1 sway bars, PFADT bars, coilovers, etc. My question is "how do you know what works with what?" Is it all a matter of purchase, test, discard?

For example, I was of the opinion that the T1 system was designed for the T1 class and that all components, shocks, springs, bars, etc. were designed to work together. However, at the track I see T1 bars with various other parts. Likewise, I recently noticed T1 shocks for sale. Can you install these on your C5Z, even though you already have another brand of sway bars and springs with good success?

How do you know what really works and is it best to install a complete package from one vendor? Just really hoping to learn and not spend a lot of money testing and discarding parts. Appreciate very much some feedback from those of you running in advanced classes of HPDE or TT with success/favorable lap times and feeling in control.

My current Z set-up feels like it pushes in curves, (like Rd Atlanta turn 12 and 1) and is a bit unstable at 130 MPH. Not sure what to do.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The C5Z "TTA" set up of OEM C5Z springs, '04 shocks w/ gary's bushings, Pfadt's poly kit, and T1 bars is a pretty balanced set up. I may would soften the front bar a bit, but as a package, it's actually pretty darn good.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:23 PM
geerookie
Drifting

On a '99 C5 Coupe that is a "little" lighter than factory,
I run Penske 8760 shocks with dual rate coilover springs. No mono-leafs.
The front bar is out of a C6 coupe (non-Z51) and I don't run a rear bar.
I use the shocks to make any minor adjustments for understreer or overstreer at a particular track.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:56 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Mark, if I recall you have a shop near Rd.Atl. I have been meaning to get the car up to you for a while. Don't have an address or number, PM me and let me know if this could be arranged before the Dec NASA event. Perhaps in early November. PM me with info how to get in touch. Really would like to have the alignment checked and set-up. Perhaps a few other things done as well.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MYRX
I see many using T1 sway bars, PFADT bars, coilovers, etc. My question is "how do you know what works with what?" Is it all a matter of purchase, test, discard?
Short version: Yes.

Longer version: Try to test drive/ride with folks that have known configurations (HardbarUSA, DRM, RAFT, LGM, BlackDog, Pfadt, T1, whatever) and figure out which ones *you* like the feel of. They're all proven fast with the right driver, and they all feel different. So the real trick outside of doing your own thing is to find a vendor that likes the car to feel the way you do and work with them.

For me, I have DRM coilovers and I really like them. Every change Randy@DRM has worked with me on has made the car better *for me*. So DRM and I like the car to behave similarly and that means their products and advice work well for me...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready

Longer version: Try to test drive/ride with folks that have known configurations (HardbarUSA, DRM, RAFT, LGM, BlackDog, Pfadt, T1, whatever) and figure out which ones *you* like the feel of. They're all proven fast with the right driver, and they all feel different. So the real trick outside of doing your own thing is to find a vendor that likes the car to feel the way you do and work with them.

That there some good advising
Spent to much time with the guys from the SE at the Glen.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:23 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

first of all, a little "push" is good for most drivers. That being said, it can probably be reduce with alignment and tire pressures.

I feel that all of the major suppliers have products that get you into similar performance zones, and while I'd buy a "package" if starting from scratch, mixing isn't a problem especially if they are adjustable at all.

Now, being more specific, the springs hold the car up, the shocks control the springs, and the sway bars limit roll by attempting to keep the wheels (side-to-side) mechanically linked to each other. In general, I think you can get way with most any parts, BUT you would want the shocks stiffer than the springs, and the bar stiffer than both. This is why T1 bars (really stiff) work well even with soft springs. It would be a problem to have a car with really stiff springs, but soft shocks/bars (car would just bounce uncontrollably).

I've race, won and lost, and crappy hardware for the past 20 years, and I think it's good to adapt to what you have. Sure you want to but the best parts you can afford, but you can go fast and get better and better even on stock parts. Both the C5Z06 and C6Z06 are well balanced, fast cars, from GM, and it can take a lot of fun out of what we do when you start throwing money at 10th's of seconds.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
The C5Z "TTA" set up - as a package, it's actually pretty darn good.
I'd say low 30's at Rd Atl confirms that.
You gotta start sending me some of that setup work you keep getting now that you've trained me.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
The C5Z "TTA" set up of OEM C5Z springs, '04 shocks w/ gary's bushings, Pfadt's poly kit, and T1 bars is a pretty balanced set up. I may would soften the front bar a bit, but as a package, it's actually pretty darn good.
Except I use Koni FSD's They just love z06 springs

Get notified of new replies

To Another C5Z Suspension Question

Quick Reply: Another C5Z Suspension Question