Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have a '11 Duramax yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody have a '11 Duramax yet?

"Truck month" deals have me thinking about ditching the Range and getting a real tow rig. Does anybody have one yet? Anybody know if there are any known issues or anything like that?

-TJ
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

what are the truck month offers?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked one up a couple of weeks ago. Awesome truck and no one is reporting any issues with them.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
what are the truck month offers?
They're not all that amazing considering the trouble GM has been in, but pretty good for a new model year and the new (397hp) Duramax. I've been offered $500 over invoice and 0% for 60mo.

Originally Posted by Timz06
Picked one up a couple of weeks ago. Awesome truck and no one is reporting any issues with them.
Congrats, I didn't even know they were doing Denali HDs now... darn you! If you don't mind me asking what did you pay (I don't need the actual number, just what you paid relative to MSRP or invoice)? How has mileage been so far (not that it really matters, haha)?

-TJ
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

damn 0 for 60 is pretty damn good for so early in the model year already.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tjZ06
They're not all that amazing considering the trouble GM has been in, but pretty good for a new model year and the new (397hp) Duramax. I've been offered $500 over invoice and 0% for 60mo.

Congrats, I didn't even know they were doing Denali HDs now... darn you! If you don't mind me asking what did you pay (I don't need the actual number, just what you paid relative to MSRP or invoice)? How has mileage been so far (not that it really matters, haha)?

-TJ

I paid about 3k below sticker. You could probably get them down more. Then you have the choice of 0 % or 2k rebate on top of that.

Have only drive a couple of hundred miles, mileage around town and in traffic is about 15. I would expect near 20 on the highway.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
damn 0 for 60 is pretty damn good for so early in the model year already.
Yup, and the $500 over invoice lines up with the $3k below sticker Tim got. Not bad for the brand new model, especially since they just introduced this motor (not that it's really that different).

Originally Posted by Timz06
I paid about 3k below sticker. You could probably get them down more. Then you have the choice of 0 % or 2k rebate on top of that.

Have only drive a couple of hundred miles, mileage around town and in traffic is about 15. I would expect near 20 on the highway.
Very nice Tim, and the mpg sounds like it's improved over the earlier "smog" diesels.

-TJ
Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

One thing I cannot believe is that this truck is so clean, the inside of the exhaust pipe is still just like in the picture.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How much does the urea fluid cost that you have to fill up every 5k-6k miles?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
How much does the urea fluid cost that you have to fill up every 5k-6k miles?
Can't you just "pee" in the fuel tank?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
Can't you just "pee" in the fuel tank?

Grab some runway deicer....
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

I'm really looking forward to the aftermarket coming out with EGR, Urea, Cat and DPF deletes for these trucks, and of course the tuner to support all of that. If past versions are any indication there's a few mpg to be gained and a few hundred hp/tq!

-TJ
Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM
offshore241
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damm !! That will make a sweet tow rig.

Congrats !!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn, Tim! You need to get those gutters fixed over your garage!

You need to spend more time on the ladder and less at the track!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should look at the new Ford with the 6.7 Power Stroke:
400HP / 800lbs torque

I'm getting 20 MPG on the highway and it's a beast.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sgsvette
You should look at the new Ford with the 6.7 Power Stroke:
400HP / 800lbs torque

I'm getting 20 MPG on the highway and it's a beast.

First, I'm a Chevy guy (not sure how the heck I ended up in a Land Rover ) so if I go with a Domestic truck it's just going to be a Chevy, that's how it is. Of course, I do like the solid front axle of the Ford. But I think the new grill and headlights on the Ford just look ridiculous.

Also, as far as power the Chevy is at 397/765, Ford just changed the tune to get to 400/800 in response to the Duramax putting the 397/765 up. I'm sure either one with a tune is going to pickup literally hundreds of hp/tq so I don't think power is a concern at all on either.

The 6.7 is totally new and unproven... just look at Ford's track record with the 6.0 and 6.4 and I don't want to be in a 6.7 until they're proven for a few years. On the other hand, the latest incarnation of the Duramax (LML) is really just a mild update, not a clean sheet like the Ford 6.7. If I'm not mistaken the 6.7 was engineered in-house at Ford, unlike all the previous Super Duty diesels... that could be a good or bad thing.

Nice truck though.

-TJ
Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
sgsvette
Pro

First, I'm a Chevy guy (not sure how the heck I ended up in a Land Rover ) so if I go with a Domestic truck it's just going to be a Chevy, that's how it is. Of course, I do like the solid front axle of the Ford. But I think the new grill and headlights on the Ford just look ridiculous.

Also, as far as power the Chevy is at 397/765, Ford just changed the tune to get to 400/800 in response to the Duramax putting the 397/765 up. I'm sure either one with a tune is going to pickup literally hundreds of hp/tq so I don't think power is a concern at all on either.

The 6.7 is totally new and unproven... just look at Ford's track record with the 6.0 and 6.4 and I don't want to be in a 6.7 until they're proven for a few years. On the other hand, the latest incarnation of the Duramax (LML) is really just a mild update, not a clean sheet like the Ford 6.7. If I'm not mistaken the 6.7 was engineered in-house at Ford, unlike all the previous Super Duty diesels... that could be a good or bad thing.

Nice truck though.

-TJ
Just so you know, I am also a Chevy guy. I currently own 12 late model Corvette's and have not driven another brand for a few years.
My last truck, which I still have is a 1995 Ford F-350 7.3 Power Stroke with 204,000. Never had an issue in all these years, that's why I decided to get the 2011 6.7.
The 6.7 is not a new engine, it is the same Power Stroke from 1995 with a twin turbo and less displacement. The other engines you mentioned were new and sucked.
I owned many Chevy trucks over the years and I have to say the Ford is way above Chevy when it comes to trucks. I was hard headed too about buying anything but a Chevy, but I've been glad for the last 16 years that I got a Ford.
What's the old saying "don't knock it 'till you try it"

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have a '11 Duramax yet?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sgsvette
Just so you know, I am also a Chevy guy. I currently own 12 late model Corvette's and have not driven another brand for a few years.
My last truck, which I still have is a 1995 Ford F-350 7.3 Power Stroke with 204,000. Never had an issue in all these years, that's why I decided to get the 2011 6.7.
The 6.7 is not a new engine, it is the same Power Stroke from 1995 with a twin turbo and less displacement. The other engines you mentioned were new and sucked.
I owned many Chevy trucks over the years and I have to say the Ford is way above Chevy when it comes to trucks. I was hard headed too about buying anything but a Chevy, but I've been glad for the last 16 years that I got a Ford.
What's the old saying "don't knock it 'till you try it"
Fair enough. I've driven lots of Ford diesels actually. My first job was working for my buddy's dad's concrete pumping business. Though small, those pumps weigh about 8k lbs. I was driving their '99 7.3 Powerstroke back then. That truck has been pretty trouble free for them. Then they got a '01 7.3 about when I moved on from that job, but I used it to tow a few times. It was also my buddy's daily driver though, so I drove and rode in it a lot without the trailers. That truck has gone through about 4 transmissions, but my friend isn't easy on the throttle and it had some mods (different compressor wheel in the stuck turbo, programmer, downpipe and exhaust). After that they got a '03 (I think it was '03) 6.0 that was nothing but trouble (all the usual stuff, head gaskets, boost tubes blowing off the turbo etc) and got Lemon Lawed. They replaced that with a '09 or whatever year the 6.4 came out. They still have both the 7.3s as well. In addition to the pumps they have a toy hauler that is around ~13k lbs loaded.

Overall the trucks do very well and the 6.4 handles the toy hauler easily. I just drove the 6.4 w/ an open trailer, a sand rail, and a few quads down to Glamis in Dec and it was like the trailer wasn't there.

All that said, I still want a Chevy. But I can knock the Fords because I have tried 'em.

-TJ
Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
sgsvette
Pro

All that said, I still want a Chevy. But I can knock the Fords because I have tried 'em.

-TJ
Fair enough.
Have fun with your new purchase.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:53 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

I'm really looking forward to the aftermarket coming out with EGR, Urea, Cat and DPF deletes for these trucks, and of course the tuner to support all of that. If past versions are any indication there's a few mpg to be gained and a few hundred hp/tq!

-TJ
you are gonna man up and lose warranty so soon? will be interesting to see what they can get out of them.

also wont be surprised if gm answers with a repsonse to the ford computer flash.

Quick Reply: Anybody have a '11 Duramax yet?