Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Octoberfast @ VIR... the best race weekend I've had in a LONG time

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NASA Octoberfast @ VIR... the best race weekend I've had in a LONG time

After a few problems w/ overheating and differential failure I was looking forward to a relatively trouble free weekend at the track. I never expected to have such a successful or FUN weekend however. Being the last race weekend w/ NASA-Mid A, there were two races on saturday and a fun 60 minute race on sunday.

The two saturday races were AWESOME. Myself and my friend Paul (in the Super Unlimited F430 challenge) had some of the closest racing I've ever experienced. I would catch up to him in all the turny bits, and he'd power right by me on the straights. The first race on saturday we exchanged the lead somewhere between 10 and 12 times during the race, with Paul coming out on top in the end by 2 car lengths. Unfortunately I didn't have video for that one.

The second race I do have video for however . And I managed to get by him and make it stick. I have to say I was running like a scared cat for the last 1/2 of the race.

http://vimeo.com/15751331

In TTS I managed a best of 2:01.9... that lap had me passing a slower car in south bend. The car and this transmission are a whole different animal, and with some slight tweaks I think I should be there right with those evil blue cars from ohio

I'll have some video of that TTS run up shortly, as well as some data comparing the close ratio transmission to the old MN12.

edit:

TTS video of the 2:01.9 lap: http://www.vimeo.com/15754262

Last edited by wallyman424; 10-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was following on mylaps on sat/sun watching the C5 guys and scott in TTA. I didn't get to make it

I was curious of your impressions on the ZR1 ratios

should be up there next year for at least some TTA, PTA. maybe I'll run ST2 and help you get some tires
Old 10-11-2010, 07:56 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Great video and congrats on the win ! A 2:01 is haulin buggy -------
Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Great race and video, Wally! I left some comments over on your NASA M/A thread.

I was noticing some crazy shift pattern in T4/5/5a and in Roller Coaster? Is that xmission that much different?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:00 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon

I was noticing some crazy shift pattern in T4/5/5a and in Roller Coaster? Is that xmission that much different?

yeah man, 2-5 all around the track. The data shows that using 2nd in 14a is like .7 seconds right there

to make it perfect I just need to bump my rev limiter to 7200 or 7300. Then I can completely flat foot it up the esses and run 2nd all the way out of 1.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wally congrats on the great weekend, it was great watching you and the F car coming onto the straight
It was nice to meet you and Brian.
Nando
Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice driving Wally. It looks like you clean your window as often as I do mine..
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wally, enjoyed the video and watching you all weekend long! I was in the yellow RX-7 with the LS1 running TTS.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brent Dalton
Wally, enjoyed the video and watching you all weekend long! I was in the yellow RX-7 with the LS1 running TTS.
Hey! I wanted to come by and say hi to the TTS guys I hadn't met, but didn't get a chance. I really like seeing more cars out there, and I'm certain with setup time you guys will be putting down KILLER laps.

I'll be coming down to Road Atl in December, so you guys can whoop up on me at your home track.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wally was flying out there...the 2nd race on Saturday was amazing to watch near turn 4. It was neat to watch the thunder race instead of actually racing in it (ran TTS this weekend instead), but I think that will be that last time I don't race!

I will agree it was a great weekend. I was finally glad to get a full weekend on my car with the new aero setup and get a chance to get some laps the car. My humbled 2:03.1 was a new personal best and I was happy with the outcome given I need to relearn the car. Lucky for me Wally is a nice enough guy to share some of his trade secrets lol
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool! Look forward to seeing/meeting you there! Between you and James Forbis, I'll be expecting to see some low 1:30's/high 1:20's in TTS. Also from Mark, Jason, and Scott in TTA

Edit: Just saw we already have 11 people signed up for TTS almost 2 months out from the event. Going to be a full class for sure.

Last edited by Brent Dalton; 10-11-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
Wally was flying out there...the 2nd race on Saturday was amazing to watch near turn 4. It was neat to watch the thunder race instead of actually racing in it (ran TTS this weekend instead), but I think that will be that last time I don't race!

I will agree it was a great weekend. I was finally glad to get a full weekend on my car with the new aero setup and get a chance to get some laps the car. My humbled 2:03.1 was a new personal best and I was happy with the outcome given I need to relearn the car. Lucky for me Wally is a nice enough guy to share some of his trade secrets lol
Dude, you're gonna be right there next year I'm sure of it. Next Feb/march at vir is going to be a BLAST
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Dude, you're gonna be right there next year I'm sure of it. Next Feb/march at vir is going to be a BLAST
The new steering wheel I am ordering is definitely the 1.2 seconds a lap I am missing

I plan to go to RD Atl in December too. Should be fun!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon

dude, get your aero done already...better watch out, Mac was running some great times this weekend too.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Wally.. Good job.. Nice to hear that you like the new tranny combo. What diff ratio did you end up with? I assume that you are running 335/30/18 rear tires?

What was your old best time at VIR compared to the 2:01 last weekend?

I hope to have my tranny/diff combo in the car for RA in Dec. We will see what it does to the lap times there.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great Job Wally!

Seems your buddy Paul was making the track more narrow than it had to be, probably watching you too much! Nice patience early on letting the Mustang slide in through turn 1 and not over-driving the car.

Next time I see you I'm going to give you a damp wash cloth for your dashboard. Also I think a clean windshield would have given you another 3 seconds!

Mike
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Wally.. Good job.. Nice to hear that you like the new tranny combo. What diff ratio did you end up with? I assume that you are running 335/30/18 rear tires?

What was your old best time at VIR compared to the 2:01 last weekend?

I hope to have my tranny/diff combo in the car for RA in Dec. We will see what it does to the lap times there.
I'm running 315/30/18 all around and a 390 diff. The trans is awesome James. The TR6060 innards shift NOTHING like the old trans, and thats a good thing.

compared to the 2:01 I had a 2:03.something.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Octoberfast @ VIR... the best race weekend I've had in a LONG time

Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Great Job Wally!

Seems your buddy Paul was making the track more narrow than it had to be, probably watching you too much! Nice patience early on letting the Mustang slide in through turn 1 and not over-driving the car.

Next time I see you I'm going to give you a damp wash cloth for your dashboard. Also I think a clean windshield would have given you another 3 seconds!

Mike
I've got 6 star cracks in the windshield... its probably time to replace it.

Mike, you sound like youd be a great crew member... how bout it???
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
dude, get your aero done already...better watch out, Mac was running some great times this weekend too.
Yea, I know. I was watching you guys on my laps.

Mac has got the wick turned up.

Aero probably won't be done until Jan. for the '11 season.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

some pictures:

I may or may not have gotten a little angry at a mustang for cutting in on me in south bend in the first race...

Quick Reply: NASA Octoberfast @ VIR... the best race weekend I've had in a LONG time