Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems installing quick release steering wheel hub (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Miraculix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems installing quick release steering wheel hub (pics inside)

So I wanted to replace my steering wheel for an OMP Superleggera and also add a quick release hub for the new wheel.

Everything was fine until I started installing the new hub and I soon found out it leaves a gap (see picture).

Ok, I thought, let's continue anyway and see what happends and so I did just to find out the quick release hub wont even fit because of the screw and nut fastening the whole hub. The screw pushes out the quick release hub so there's no way I can tighten them together.

What gives? Have I got the wrong parts for the job?

It seems to me a spacer would do the trick but since I ordered just about the lightest wheel there is on the market I would be kicking myself adding a big, fat spacer. Still, this might be what has to be done. It's just weird no one has come across this before?

Last edited by Miraculix; 10-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like you have a C5.
What brand is the hub adapter? Quick release? Did you buy from a shop- have they ever installed these two parts together?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Miraculix
Instructor

Yea sorry, it's a C5Z. I bought the parts of a tuning company in the southern states but they wont return my mails now that I'm running into problems. The parts came without the original boxes so I really don't know whether or not it is what the invoice saids it is.

According to the invoice this is what I have:

12115112401 - Steering Wheel Hub
MOMO-HUB - Quick Release Steering Hub

It's not so much a problem fitting them together when they're separate. The problem is the gap when I install the hub in the car and when I tighten the steering wheel nut I tighten the gap, which makes the steering wheel screw (dunno the name) stick out so I can't fit the quick release hub
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

On my C5Z06, there is a gap. But if I put the steering column shroud on, everything lines up great.

My adapter is from Sparco and is secure. My quick release has a pretty flat bottom though so it doesn't hit the nut on the top of the steering shaft.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Send me a PM with name of company that you bought it from and I will try to see what is going on. I did a search of the part number and did not get any hits. Did they send directions?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Miraculix
Instructor

Originally Posted by MySR71
On my C5Z06, there is a gap. But if I put the steering column shroud on, everything lines up great.

My adapter is from Sparco and is secure. My quick release has a pretty flat bottom though so it doesn't hit the nut on the top of the steering shaft.
Well would you look at that... With an adapter like that things would be smooth sailin'
How hard do you tighten the nut for the hub, do you use a torque wrench or do you just tighten the he** out of it?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Miraculix
How hard do you tighten the nut for the hub, do you use a torque wrench or do you just tighten the he** out of it?
I did use a torque wrench to whatever the spec was in the service manual. I don't recall it being too hard to do as the column lock held the steering shaft in place.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Miraculix
Instructor

Anyone with a manual know the numbers for torque wrenching the steering wheel nut?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Miraculix
Instructor

Found the numbers
Got a spacer made today and minutes after my new steering wheel was in place

Get notified of new replies

To Problems installing quick release steering wheel hub (pics inside)

Quick Reply: Problems installing quick release steering wheel hub (pics inside)