Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enduro race in november

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Enduro race in november

I am running my first 3 hour enduro. Fuel is critical. How can I get fuel in faster?

I will have to make 2 stops.

We will remove the restrictor in the filler pipe and fabricate a bigger vent tube.

We can then use a larger hose from the Hunsaker fuel jugs.

Has anyone here tried this? Will it significantly reduce time. (It takes 2-4 minutes per 5 gallons normally).

Is there anything else?

At this time, I can't consider dry breaks or fuel cells. Not enough time or budget.

That's why I'm looking for creative solutions using what's there.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
CV Wells

Last edited by az55; 10-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 PM
az55
Instructor

Default anyone?

Guys, the reason I'm trying to get this done is that if I don't run and win, the regional title will go to a MUSTANG!

I won't let that happen without a fight.

There are only 45 points between me and him, with 2 races left. I've beaten him the last three races so I know I'm faster.

I just need an edge in the pits. He has a full time pit crew, I don't. (just a couple of friends to help).

Even crazy ideas will be considered!

Cheers,
CV
Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

For my first Lemons race we used a funnel and 5 gallon jugs. It took probably 2-4 minutes per 5 gallons as you mentioned. I just cut off the tip of the funnel and bored it out a little and now it only takes about 1 minute for 5 gallons. I didn't change the gas filler on the car at all. I use the fuel jugs with the large caps and remove the cap completely and just pour directly into the funnel (no hoses). You can buy wide mouth funnels with 45 degree bends in them also.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM
az55
Instructor

Originally Posted by redtopz
For my first Lemons race we used a funnel and 5 gallon jugs. It took probably 2-4 minutes per 5 gallons as you mentioned. I just cut off the tip of the funnel and bored it out a little and now it only takes about 1 minute for 5 gallons. I didn't change the gas filler on the car at all. I use the fuel jugs with the large caps and remove the cap completely and just pour directly into the funnel (no hoses). You can buy wide mouth funnels with 45 degree bends in them also.
Thanks for the idea. I appreciate your response.

We'll time that against the jugs with the larger hose. The trick is not to spill ANY fuel. It can result in a 5 lap or 5 minute penalty! That would be a potential death blow in a close race.

Cheers,
CV
Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a guy that has handled the refueling of three cars at the enduros, you need a big piece of carpet to absorb and splash as there is an one lap penalty for fuel left on the pit pavement. This allows the car to run over it on exiting your pit space; thicker the better 4'x3' for safety and a cut out for the rear tire on one side leaving edge open . No u cut.

Remove the fuel door if possible. Seen those stick or not work and slows time.

Don't get bigger the six gallons, just too hard to to manuever without splashing. Fuel weight moves around a lot during fueling. Getting air in to replace the fuel is very important. Big venting without dumping on the ground. Test it!

Our cars had the fastest pits of anyone. I'm available, if not asked by Terry Denton. Hope you pull it out! Refueled Chad's BMW, Terry's Corvette and BMW.

Last edited by 96solo; 10-22-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
az55
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96solo
I'm available, if not asked by Terry Denton. Hope you pull it out! Refueled Chad's BMW, Terry's Corvette and BMW.
Hey Darrell.
I guess you didn't get my email. I could definitely use you. Let's get together and talk. The jugs are up to 6 gallons with huge vent tubes. We are modifying the filler pipe and putting in a bigger vent tube with a "roll over valve".

Cheers,
CV
Old 10-23-2010, 08:45 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by az55
Hey Darrell.
I guess you didn't get my email. I could definitely use you. Let's get together and talk. The jugs are up to 6 gallons with huge vent tubes. We are modifying the filler pipe and putting in a bigger vent tube with a "roll over valve".

Cheers,
CV
Great! I was out at the Chevy Shoot out today getting interest in the the Le Mans.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:55 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by az55
Hey Darrell.

Cheers,
CV
i think 96 solo has a fire suit too........
Old 10-24-2010, 02:41 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rustyguns
i think 96 solo has a fire suit too........
Well gee, hard not to with racing. Have full safety for many years.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96solo
Well gee, hard not to with racing. Have full safety for many years.
Ah Pshaw! Just gloat you race car driver you!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

C.V.- The Blackberry went into the pool. I replaced it with a Droid, but can't recover my phone numbers. Email your phone number please.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

CV,

What is the date of your enduro?

It is snowing up here. I may need a road trip.

J.R.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 PM
az55
Instructor

Originally Posted by J.R.
CV,

What is the date of your enduro?

It is snowing up here. I may need a road trip.

J.R.
Hey J.R.

That would be fantastic if you could make it. I'll call you soon and discuss dates. I appreciate you considering it. It should be fun. Especially if we beat the Mustang!

Weather in Arizona is great in November. Highs in the 70's or low 80's with lows in the 40's and 50's.
You would be welcome to stay at my "resort".

Cheers,
CV

Get notified of new replies

To Enduro race in november

Quick Reply: Enduro race in november