Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTM Coming to the USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Default DTM Coming to the USA

Autoweek has an article on the potential for the DTM to come to the USA. I for one think that would be very cool...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101019/FREE/101019884
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, it should be pretty cool. I saw this announcement last week on Wind Tunnel and they they theorized that US audiences don't want to watch only European drivers so the driver lineups will be interesting to watch.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one watch it all the time the European drivers are better as a whole than the American drivers, here it's about money over there it's about who is the better driver in most cases, exception being F1.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:02 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

DTM in the US would be a nice alternative, but I believe the economy would have to recover 1st. There are already multiple race series in the US, and teams are having problems finding sponsors. In my opinion (granted I don't race or own a team, just a fan of the sport), another series would spread out the fan base even more. I think we need fewer series, to get the team count and car count up, drawing more fans, which will bring the sponsors.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The difference is that there would be factory support from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Nissan, Toyota, and probably GM in the form a Cadillac. I expect that with these cars would come advertising, and there would be lots of sponsorship. With NASCAR behind it, I think that this could be the biggest road racing series since the original TransAm...
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I like the DTM. I've enjoyed watching it on Speed, and I don't really care if there are no US drivers in it there. Good racing is always fun to watch, no matter who's behind the wheel or where it's from. I think I like DTM and the similar Aussie and British series, just because the cars are so different from what we usually get to see.

The original SCCA Speed World Challenge of 2003, 04 & 05, reminded me of the original Trans-Am (1966-74, probably the best road racing series anywhere, ever), and I thought it could develope into something like that or the DTM. But it seems to have gone some other direction.

If they bring it to the US, I'll support it!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It's an interesting play for both DTM and GRAND-AM. I'm excited about the idea as long as they do everything possible to get more variety into the series - I can't stand to watch 15 Mercs and 15 Audi's go at it, just silly. I know BMW is back on board for 2012, but in the US, GRAND-AM needs to call it "STS - Super Touring Sedans" and open it up to similarly prepared cars from all manufacturers. Harder to police, but much better business case.

I could see the DTM cars replacing the DP's.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be all over it, sounds great
Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

That is awesome, same cars, same rules racing around the world image how cool it would be to get the top 5 drivers from the US, Europe and Japan together for a world championship. Three races one Champion, one in Japan, onein Europe and one in the US

Get notified of new replies

To DTM Coming to the USA

Quick Reply: DTM Coming to the USA