Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those people with C6Zs, something else to check before and during a track event

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Default Those people with C6Zs, something else to check before and during a track event

My car's last track day was Oct. 6th. I was at the Glen and had several sessions during the morning. In the afternoon I took a student out for a 20 minute ride. When I got back a friend was standing next to my parking place in the garage and said as I pulled in to pull far forward and that I had a problem. When I got out and looked where the car had been parked there were many large spots of engine oil and where it was now parked there were more spots quickly appearing. After it cooled down some I got it in the air and took a look. The oil cooler line was coming apart where the line changed from aluminum to a hose. The crimp was failing. This was confirmed by the dealer mechanic when he got it on a lift. Part was ordered on the 11th and just got in on the 22nd. Once I got the car on the trailer at the track it stayed there until I dropped it off at the dealership. Not sure if I could have driven it a few miles from my house to the shop but didn't want to take a chance on it coming completely apart and needing to call a tow truck.

Not sure how often this happens and if it might be the cause of some of the engine failures that we have heard about. If an engine grenaded it is possible the lines could be easily damaged in the explosion.

Bill
Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good info. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My car's last track day was Oct. 6th. I was at the Glen and had several sessions during the morning. In the afternoon I took a student out for a 20 minute ride. When I got back a friend was standing next to my parking place in the garage and said as I pulled in to pull far forward and that I had a problem. When I got out and looked where the car had been parked there were many large spots of engine oil and where it was now parked there were more spots quickly appearing. After it cooled down some I got it in the air and took a look. The oil cooler line was coming apart where the line changed from aluminum to a hose. The crimp was failing. This was confirmed by the dealer mechanic when he got it on a lift. Part was ordered on the 11th and just got in on the 22nd. Once I got the car on the trailer at the track it stayed there until I dropped it off at the dealership. Not sure if I could have driven it a few miles from my house to the shop but didn't want to take a chance on it coming completely apart and needing to call a tow truck.

Not sure how often this happens and if it might be the cause of some of the engine failures that we have heard about. If an engine grenaded it is possible the lines could be easily damaged in the explosion.

Bill
How much oil do you think you lost? Was in oiling the track too? Do you check your oil level after each session?

Glad you caught it !!

DH
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...I'd recommend replacing it with something that is not a "crimped" design. I like the SS hoses w/the Aeroequip fittings.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I thought about stainless lines as well but since they are non stock they would invalidate the engine warranty if I had an oil problem that ruined the engine. Besides those types of lines have their own leakage issues. I had those on my C5 and they did tend to loosen and leak although none came close to coming apart.

I usually check the oil a couple of times per day. When I checked it this time it was down about a quart. It had to be blowing onto the track. The bottom of the engine, the front spring, stuff in front of the spring, the bottom of the car, the oil filter, and the rear fascia all had oil on them or dripping from them. Not sure what the oil pressure is when running at 6500 to 7000 rpm but the leak must have been spraying a fine mist under the car for at least two track sessions. If the thing would have totally blown out I imagine it wouldn't have taken long to dump most of the oil on the ground or under the rear tires.

Bill
Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I thought about stainless lines as well but since they are non stock they would invalidate the engine warranty if I had an oil problem that ruined the engine. Besides those types of lines have their own leakage issues. I had those on my C5 and they did tend to loosen and leak although none came close to coming apart.

I usually check the oil a couple of times per day. When I checked it this time it was down about a quart. It had to be blowing onto the track. The bottom of the engine, the front spring, stuff in front of the spring, the bottom of the car, the oil filter, and the rear fascia all had oil on them or dripping from them. Not sure what the oil pressure is when running at 6500 to 7000 rpm but the leak must have been spraying a fine mist under the car for at least two track sessions. If the thing would have totally blown out I imagine it wouldn't have taken long to dump most of the oil on the ground or under the rear tires.

Bill
Yep ..... could have been ugly, glad it wasn't

DH
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill Stock Engine Oil cooler ?

If so send me some more details and I will forward to head of Corvette Warranty. He is a good guy and comes to our NCM HPDEs .

Not saying it is a warranty issue, but he likes to know these things.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 PM
no spin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not just C6Z. My Z51 had the same issue. I found it while prepping the car for a DE. It was not dripping but it was wet. I had it replaced under warrenty.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Bill Stock Engine Oil cooler ?

If so send me some more details and I will forward to head of Corvette Warranty. He is a good guy and comes to our NCM HPDEs .

Not saying it is a warranty issue, but he likes to know these things.
Yep. Completely stock. Line is being replaced under warranty. I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they will take some pictures of the line before they send it off to GM.

Bill
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of this problem, but I have not personally had an issue yet.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Picked up the car today. Took a couple of pictures of the crimps but they really don't show anything. If I didn't know they leaked I wouldn't have been able to tell. One of the mechanics at the dealership said GM has been having problems with oil cooler lines. I mentioned to him that my 8 year old Tahoe hadn't had a problem yet and he said I was lucky because most of the problems have been with trucks.

I had them change the oil while it was there. Total number of quarts came to 9 Vs 8 the last time they changed it in March. Must be 1 quart that stays in the cooler with a normal change.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Those people with C6Zs, something else to check before and during a track event

Quick Reply: Those people with C6Zs, something else to check before and during a track event