Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadrace brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Casey_SS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadrace brakes

Hi guys,

I'm running OEM C6 rotors & calipers on a 4th gen Camaro in NASA's American Iron Extreme (AIX) roadrace series. Curious what rotor & caliper upgrade options are available without going to a full StopTech kit or similar.

I found these rotors which look like a modest upgrade from OEM at about the same price but nothing so far on calipers:
http://www.racingbrake.com/CORVETTE_...1-211-1115.htm

What other rotor / caliper upgrades are out there that you'd recommend for competitive roadrace use? The caliper mounting brackets & 17" wheels I'm running won't allow Z51 or Z06 sized parts...

Thanks!
Casey
AIX #29
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey_SS
Hi guys,

I'm running OEM C6 rotors & calipers on a 4th gen Camaro in NASA's American Iron Extreme (AIX) roadrace series. Curious what rotor & caliper upgrade options are available without going to a full StopTech kit or similar.

I found these rotors which look like a modest upgrade from OEM at about the same price but nothing so far on calipers:

What other rotor / caliper upgrades are out there that you'd recommend for competitive roadrace use? The caliper mounting brackets & 17" wheels I'm running won't allow Z51 or Z06 sized parts...

Thanks!
Casey
AIX #29
those look good but it is hard to beat stock rotors price/performance

the C6 calipers are excellent just run a really good pad

PFC 01 or better or carbotech 12's or better. etc I am using HAwk dt70's and love the pads, just hate the dust! Hawk blues are very good too

just be sure to flush your brake fluid the day before any event. i use Castrol SRF, unreal stuff, nothing better. But Motul 600 or Wilwood or comparable is better price/performance

G/L

FYI i take extra rotors with me to the track
Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey_SS

They look like good rotors but did you read that funny part about the metallurgy being incompatible with Ferado and Carbotech pad compounds:
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=73
Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to build a serious aix car you will have a budget allowing for some much better brakes. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time. Stoptechs are inexpensive for what you get and I would consider their price point a minimum.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sidney004
They look like good rotors but did you read that funny part about the metallurgy being incompatible with Ferado and Carbotech pad compounds:
http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=73
:rof l:
Old 10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Casey_SS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies....apologies if I left out some info you need to help me out.

First - where I'm at now - I've been running the C6 setup with Carbotech XP12 & 16 compounds for a couple years now along with SRF fluid. It's time to replace rotors & rebuild or replace the calipers before the 2011 season starts so I'm looking to see what the popular aftermarket replacement options are rather than ordering another set of OEM stuff. I know there's alot but haven't spent much time researching it...thought you guys could point me to the popular ones and save me some time.

Second - AIX, budget, etc. - it's honestly not a serious AIX car, at least on a national level. I'm quite competitive in my region (TX) but I got nuthin' for the top 3 or 4 guys at Nationals. It was my street car for the last 10 years and I built a pretty healthy 396 for it several years ago. Been doing DEs for a long time and finally stripped it down, put a cage in and decided to go racing. It makes way too much power for AI so I'm running AIX at the moment and having a blast without over-spending. It's basically just an overpowered CMC2 car though....with a matching budget. I built the cage and other stuff in a way that if the motor ever goes south I can quickly rebuild the stocker I have sitting in the shop and go race CMC2 if I don't feel like breaking the bank. While I certainly 'could' order up a StopTech or other kit, I'd just rather not at this point. I'm already competitive in my region and have no ambition of spending the extra 50-75k it would take to go win nationals.

To sum it all up, I'm just looking for a few links to aftermarket C6 rotors & calipers...

Thanks guys...much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The pads for the corvette calipers are expensive and wear quickly. What you may want to look into is to use the stock corvette front rotors, or equivalents, and mount a stock car type 4 piston caliper. Often refered to as a wilwood superlite. There are others that are better, but they vary in price. AP probably makes the nicest one. Sierra makes an inexpensive one that is pretty ugly, but the parts of it that count are done pretty well. They have a more expensive billet one that is better yet much more expensive. There are way too many to list here. You will need a custom bracket for the caliper. If you don't have dual master cylinders that you can size as needed you will need to locate calipers with smaller diameter pistons than normally used on the front of stock cars. Brake man makes some pretty nice calipers in that profile with 1.5" pistons, which should work with a factory style m/c, but they are on the pricier side. Basically, any caliper using the pfc 7751 pad profile (hawk equivalent is hb 101) is what I am referring to. The pads are quite thick and stupid cheap. They are designed with a swept area that works well with the stock diameter corvette front rotor.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trackboss
The pads for the corvette calipers are expensive and wear quickly. What you may want to look into is to use the stock corvette front rotors, or equivalents, and mount a stock car type 4 piston caliper. Often refered to as a wilwood superlite. There are others that are better, but they vary in price. AP probably makes the nicest one. Sierra makes an inexpensive one that is pretty ugly, but the parts of it that count are done pretty well. They have a more expensive billet one that is better yet much more expensive. There are way too many to list here. You will need a custom bracket for the caliper. If you don't have dual master cylinders that you can size as needed you will need to locate calipers with smaller diameter pistons than normally used on the front of stock cars. Brake man makes some pretty nice calipers in that profile with 1.5" pistons, which should work with a factory style m/c, but they are on the pricier side. Basically, any caliper using the pfc 7751 pad profile (hawk equivalent is hb 101) is what I am referring to. The pads are quite thick and stupid cheap. They are designed with a swept area that works well with the stock diameter corvette front rotor.
WOW! GOOD INFO! I LUV ANYTHING STUPID CHEAP!

Get notified of new replies

To Roadrace brakes

Quick Reply: Roadrace brakes