Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ground wire/fuse link?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default ground wire/fuse link?

I posted the following in the c5 tech section with no response so far. Maybe someone here can help.
My car is a '99 FRC. On the passenger side frame rail ground stud near the battery there are three wires. One goes to the battery negative. The other, small guage wires go into the harness and fuse box area. The one that goes into the harness, going forward, has a fuse link between the end of the wire and the terminal. The terminal connection broke and I can't seem to figure out what that particular ground is for and why it needs a fuse link. Does anyone have an answer to this and also what size fuse link I need?
thanks,
-V
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I just checked mine. 2002 Z06 . Two wires come off negative battery terminal. The smaller one goes to the frame rail near the battery.... The battery is new and is leaking acid....

It seems odd to have a fusible link on a ground wire.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

The earlier cars, like mine, apparently have 3 wires there. I agree about the fuse link on a ground wire. Never seen one like that before. The ground wire itself appears to be 18g so I suppose I will be safe installing a 20g fuse link. Still would like to know what the ground goes to. I have a set of manuals, but they are nearly impossible to figure out for stuff like this.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
The earlier cars, like mine, apparently have 3 wires there. I agree about the fuse link on a ground wire. Never seen one like that before. The ground wire itself appears to be 18g so I suppose I will be safe installing a 20g fuse link. Still would like to know what the ground goes to. I have a set of manuals, but they are nearly impossible to figure out for stuff like this.
The ground references are G104 and G108 if you want to look them up in your manual.
G104 - One wire as you stated, is to the battery (blk wire).
The other is a blk/wht wire and is the feed for splice pack 208 which is the primary ground distribution for the Instrument Panel..
G108 is the third wire and is the ground reference for the EBTCM. It is also a blk/wht wire.
None of these wires have a fusible link.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

unless my car is differently wired than yours, I am betting it's 108. It is a black wire with white stripe and goes into the loom that routes forward. For whatever reason, my car has a fusbile link as described above. Personally I'd rather dump it as I have never used, or seen, a fusible link on a ground, but there must be a reason gm put it there. If they decided that on the later cars it wasn't necessary I will feel more comfortable not using it.
When I get a chance I might open up the loom and trace it. If it is indeed from the ebcm I may just shorten it and ground somewhere closer to the unit to clean things up.
Thanks for the info.
-V

Get notified of new replies

To ground wire/fuse link?

Quick Reply: ground wire/fuse link?