Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting a C6 M w/ a dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default starting a C6 M w/ a dead battery

I am just thinking ahead but here is the scenario: battery is dead on an '08 C6 manual. Since I have a push button start and no key for the ignition, is it possible to start by rolling down a hill and letting out the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear?.... would I have to push the start button at same time and hope there is a little battery juice left??
Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

nope won't work! the fuel pump won't run.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How "dead" is the battery? Do any interior lights come on when you open a door? Does the horn work? What is the voltage reading at the battery (check with a DVM)?

A good jumper pack should be enough to start the car so that you can get it to a shop where the battery can be charged. Don't drive the car around to let the alternator charge the battery; that's too much of a strain on the alternator and it could damage it.

Invest in a good battery maintainer like the Deltran "Battery Tender Plus" and keep it connected to the battery if you don't plan on using the car for a few weeks at a time. Aren't C6 MN6 cars supposed to be left in Reverse when they are not being used??
Old 10-31-2010, 04:58 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Aren't C6 MN6 cars supposed to be left in Reverse when they are not being used??
Only the '05 required that...
Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Don't drive the car around to let the alternator charge the battery; that's too much of a strain on the alternator and it could damage it.
Voltage regulator will probably burn out a few days later if you allow the alternator to charge a dead battery. Especially with dead battery at night and headlights on. If at all possible, charge the battery fully before driving or at least study up on how to replace your regulator.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

How "dead" is the battery? Do any interior lights come on when you open a door? Does the horn work? What is the voltage reading at the battery (check with a DVM)?

A good jumper pack should be enough to start the car so that you can get it to a shop where the battery can be charged. Don't drive the car around to let the alternator charge the battery; that's too much of a strain on the alternator and it could damage it.

Invest in a good battery maintainer like the Deltran "Battery Tender Plus" and keep it connected to the battery if you don't plan on using the car for a few weeks at a time. Aren't C6 MN6 cars supposed to be left in Reverse when they are not being used??
I guess my writing wasn't very clear. At present my battery is fine. I just know how things will go in the future and I am trying to get prepared for when my battery will be dead. I do have a trickle charger and access to a battery charger. However instead of seeing myself taking a jump from one of my other cars, I was wondering if I could coast down the hill.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

None of these responses make sense the alternator has to be rated to charge the battery while the lights and accesories are running otherwise the battery would drain while driving at night with the AC headlights and radio are running.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Even the caveman C5's don't like push starts or trying to charge a stone dead battery.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by morris
None of these responses make sense the alternator has to be rated to charge the battery while the lights and accesories are running otherwise the battery would drain while driving at night with the AC headlights and radio are running.
It doesn't have to make sense! that is what happenes in most cases. the battery will take so much power from the alternator that it will soon go bad. so it just makes sense to charge a dead battery (in a Vette anyway) before you just drive off
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
It doesn't have to make sense, it's a GM.
Fixed that for you.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Ok
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The alternator is rated at maintaining a battery, not charging a dead one. Yes, I have replaced regulators (twice) and yes, the last one was leaving work at night after having jumped the dead battery from a co-worker. Replaced the regulator when the warning light started glowing a week later.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay got it

So that means a jump pak isn't a useful tool either
Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Okay got it

So that means a jump pak isn't a useful tool either
It is a very useful tool if you find a dead battery when you need to drive the car right away. It will provide enough power to start the car and then you can drive it to a shop where the battery can be charged. Battery chargers like those used at auto repair shops can recharge a battery in 30 to 45 minutes. That will be more than enough time to bring a battery up to a level where the alternator won't have a problem with current load.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
I do have a trickle charger and access to a battery charger. However instead of seeing myself taking a jump from one of my other cars, I was wondering if I could coast down the hill.
No, coasting down the hill to attempt to start the car will most likely not work. There has to be sufficient battery power to energize the PCM, the fuel pump and the ignition system.

If you don't drive the car for extended periods (like a month or more), then attach the trickle charger and it will keep the battery at a fully-charged state. When you want to drive the car, disconnect it and the car will start.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

To answer your question, as long as there is enough juice to power the fuel pump. If you turn the power on like you are starting the car and the starter just clicks, then yes you can jump start a manual trans car just fine. You can turn your power on just like you do when you start the car, just don't push the clutch in and the start will not engage. Then let it rip and pop the clutch in 2nd. It will even do it in reverse if the car is going down hill backwards.
Justin

Get notified of new replies

To starting a C6 M w/ a dead battery

Quick Reply: starting a C6 M w/ a dead battery