Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any fix for the stock seat "popping" issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there any fix for the stock seat "popping" issue

I end up with the gangster lean on about 50% of my autocross runs.

What I mean is the reclining mechanism on the right side of the seat gives way causing me to have to hold onto the wheel for dear life since the seat no longer supports me.
I drove another vette today at our last event of the year and his problem is even worse than mine.

It's time to finally fix this in the offseason if I can. If not, I think I'll just get some high density foam and cram it behind the seat so it doesn't have any room to move.

Does anyone know how to fix it?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
johninar
Drifting

Not that I know of. They changed to a cheaper mechanism in '02 I believe. Both of my '03 are a POS. Only thing that helps is I pull the lever every time I get in the car. It seems to help. My buddy had his let go at Spring Mountain and put him into the weeds.

I would like to put some sort of inflatable bladder behind the seat to keep it from letting go.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I replaced the recline mechanism which WAS available as a separate part & it helped some, but it still happens every so often.

Reset each run seems to help too.

I can't believe the seat even passes federal standards.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
waktasz
Pro

I will put on my inventors cap then.

I'm going to make a million bucks off you guys, lol
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by waktasz
I will put on my inventors cap then.

I'm going to make a million bucks off you guys, lol

Good luck, it has to be something internal though, braces on the back of (race) seats are already available & very common.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:42 PM
waktasz
Pro

I'm thinking of it purely from the aspect of SCCA Super Stock legal mods. Metal braces wouldn't work.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I had the exact same issue with my 06 when I first started tracking it.

VERY unsafe at high speeds. The entire rear, inner portion of the seat needed to be replaced.

I would not autocross and certainly not track it until you get it fixed.

OR,
Get you a race seat
Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
waktasz
Pro

No race seats in Super Stock.

I don't find it to be dangerous. It has never caused a problem, it's just uncomfortable and distracting.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

No race seats in Super Stock.

I don't find it to be dangerous. It has never caused a problem, it's just uncomfortable and distracting.
Mine would just snap back at the most opportune time and unexpectedly.
Having that happen at high speed was not something I was ready to take a chance on.

If you start out that way, I can see where that would be tolerable

In any event, it can be fixed
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The stock C5Z06 seats suck. When I bought this car last Fall, the seats immediately showed themselves at CMP as a weak point. Nothing like accelerating out of T11 or T1 or T4 only to have the right side of the seat back pop back a notch or two. Kinda like cruising on the boulevard, “Yo man, whassup???” The after shifting to 4th on the straight, I would have to readjust the seat back in time to hit the brakes for the next turn. There were several laps where I adjusted the seat back on the front straight, the short chute to T4 AND the straight between T7 and T8.

I know you said you couldn't do it, but my cure was to go to race seats.

-Kevin
Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
autox_vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by froggy47
I replaced the recline mechanism which WAS available as a separate part & it helped some, but it still happens every so often.
Does this mean that the reclining mechanism is no longer available? Mine just started doing it this year (8th season, guess I was lucky). I too am trying to address the issue over the off season.

Unfortunately, the real real solution is $$$ (going to ASP)...

Kenton
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
I had the exact same issue with my 06 when I first started tracking it.
I guess I better get on this. I think GMPP runs out soon and I need to HUD fixed along with the seat...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking of it purely from the aspect of SCCA Super Stock legal mods. Metal braces wouldn't work.
If you find a solution, or create one, I'd support the letter to the SEB to allow it.

This is the only safety issue I've found with the cars. My Z06 has only done it once since I've owned it, but my coupe does it all the time. You must reset the lever before every run to reduce it's occurence.

I too don't know why a GM fix hasn't been found and why it hasn't been recalled. Nothing worse than coming off the line at a ProSolo with your foot to the floor and suddenly find yourself looking at the ceiling and clinging to the steering wheel for life.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by autox_vette
Does this mean that the reclining mechanism is no longer available? Mine just started doing it this year (8th season, guess I was lucky). I too am trying to address the issue over the off season.

Unfortunately, the real real solution is $$$ (going to ASP)...

Kenton
I do not know if the part is available now.

They were about $60 each as I recall but labor of 2-3 hours if you pay to have it done.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I guess I better get on this. I think GMPP runs out soon and I need to HUD fixed along with the seat...
When I tried to get this fixed on my 03 GMPP wouldn't cover it. Dealer actually had the replacement seat frame in house and GMPP said no. They didn't tell me no on a lot of things but this one they did.

Bill
Old 11-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
If you find a solution, or create one, I'd support the letter to the SEB to allow it.

This is the only safety issue I've found with the cars. My Z06 has only done it once since I've owned it, but my coupe does it all the time. You must reset the lever before every run to reduce it's occurence.

I too don't know why a GM fix hasn't been found and why it hasn't been recalled. Nothing worse than coming off the line at a ProSolo with your foot to the floor and suddenly find yourself looking at the ceiling and clinging to the steering wheel for life.
Mine never moved on the street so I doubt there is a problem from that stand point and if it isn't happening on the street there won't be a recall.

Bill
Old 11-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

This is a real frustration point with me and the SCCA SEB on the idea of "Stock" classes. You are allowed to change a sway bar, adjustable shocks and run wide tires but not wheels, but in the interest of safety you cannot change the driver seat unless going to ASP! I know in some situations it could be a 10-15# difference, but then again I could go without a few meals and get some of that weight from the very same place on the car.

I'm lucky I've not had mine pop out yet, still I would prefer to swap out the seat.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any fix for the stock seat "popping" issue

Old 11-08-2010, 04:43 PM
waktasz
Pro

Originally Posted by TedDBere

At this point I'm thinking just some high density foam crammed behind the seat. Anything more "technical" than that might not be legal (and would be beyond my means to create it)

I also reset the seat before every run. It has become a habit. It doesn't always work though. I guess I need to go on a diet.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point I'm thinking just some high density foam crammed behind the seat. Anything more "technical" than that might not be legal (and would be beyond my means to create it)

I also reset the seat before every run. It has become a habit. It doesn't always work though. I guess I need to go on a diet.
Pat and Dave used to use a pillow. If I recall correctly it was one of the main reasons Pat sold the Z06 and moved to the Elise....
Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
waktasz
Pro

Well I bought a 2"x24"x108" sheet of ultra density foam padding I'm going to try to use somehow. Wont have time for a few days to start working on it though.

Quick Reply: Is there any fix for the stock seat "popping" issue