Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time track tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default First time track tire questions

Got my 305/35/18 R888s from GT Racing(thanks for quick delivery) and track wheels are painted so all should be good for RD Atl Saturday. 0% chance of rain and probably low 50s when I hit the track at 8:30.

1- Starting temp? My BFGs I start at 34/33 cold and they end up around 39/38 hot. From searches, the R888s seem about the same? Should I start higher seeing it will be cooler?

2- I know the R888s are unidirectional, but if I don't plan on driving in rain, is it OK to put the good tread on the inside? My alignment was done by David, and that is where they seem to wear.

3- How many laps to get warm? I was assigned to Advanced group (first time), but Mark says there will be enough room to where it won't be an issue. Just don't want to be holding anyone up.

4- Balance tire when mounting?

Anything else I should know?

Last edited by waddisme; 11-17-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do work best at higher hot temps 40-41. I've used them on my C6Z several times here in Cailf. and like 'em a lot.

http://www.aimtire.com/typ_category....&ObjectID=6828

http://www.aimtire.com/typ_category....&ObjectID=6637

Last edited by stano; 11-17-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

2: Yes, grooves don't matter in dry conditions.
3. A couple laps to get warm. There will be plenty of space this weekend with MVP(I'll be in the yellow RX-7), plus you can always just point cars by if you want more time.
4. Alot of debate about balancing or not balancing. Either way you go, I think you'll be fine IMO. If you want, get them balanced and mark your wheel/tire and see if the tire moves on the rim.

We'll see you this weekend.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just got tires mounted. Went ahead and had them flipped. I got them balanced as it was only $10/tire for mounting and balancing. I will mark them just to see if they spin.

As for Rd Atl, I haven't had an instuctor there in over a year, so I may try to get one for the early sessions to refresh some lines.

Stano - thanks for the link. Good read on the R888s. I have 6 sessions, so that should give me plenty of chances to adjust to see how high I should go.

Between the tires and the Pfadt Racing Heavy duty swaybars, I should be able to be somewhat faster than previous laps.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the R888s are a great tire for being able to drive to/from the track somewhat safely (non A6/R6) for their level of grip/cost. I'm usually in the intermediate group.

I usually start 35/34 on mine and adjust accordingly. I usually try to keep them right around 40.

You'll definately get that wierd tread wear (just seems to be a C6 trait) and flip them on the rims often if $$$ allows to get the most outta them.

Enjoy and be careful. Take the first few laps slow (like w/ any race type tire).
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R888s are "directional" only because the grooves shed rain better in one direction than the other. If you keep them on dry pavement, then they are equally good in both directions.

With the track temps you'll see in the morning, you may find that your tires do not get hot at all, because the cold asphalt sucks the heat out of the rubber faster than friction heats them up. R888s are noticeably grippier when up to temperature than when cold. Everyone else will have the same problem, so you won't be holding anyone up due to your cold tires.

You'll be amazed how much better the r-compounds feel. Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 PM
PeOR
Instructor

I know I am probably the person running my R888's on the lowest pressure. I stay at 35 hot. Be prepare to let 7-8 psi out from cold to hot. Also, the R888 is the tire with best grip cold. So unlike other R-tires you can go more or less flat out already on the first lap. (Well, make sure you feel the grip to be sure.) This is what makes the tire really good also in wet, as long as the temperature is not too low.

My experience comes from R888, Direzza 02 and Kuhmo V70A. Have not tried MSPC or R6 yet.

PeO.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have no idea why people get them to over 40 psi, noticeably lower corner speeds and pretty unpredictable at the limit in my experience.

pretty much everyone who i talked to (various cars/skill levels) keeps letting the air out of these to keep them in 35-37 range or lower, but somehow people here keep mentioning 40+ psi. great, if it works for you, i suppose, but maybe try somethng different and see if you can pick up 5+mph in your corners? or not.

no point in saving tread either unless you shaved them - once they heat cycle out, you may just as well be driving on cheap chinese street tires.

manufacturers keep suggesting to overinflate the tires and people keep quoting that, there was a wonderful thread a while back with T1 people who actually win races talking about their pressures vs what hoosier "recommends".
Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
manufacturers keep suggesting to overinflate the tires and people keep quoting that, there was a wonderful thread a while back with T1 people who actually win races talking about their pressures vs what hoosier "recommends".
Toyo actually recommends lower pressures than are being recommended by Ron @ AIM Tire. I have tried lower pressure vs high pressures, and my laptimes are better with high pressures -and- the car feels better.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:41 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Welll, started out 35/34 cold, 42* for first session at 8:30. Never really got up to speed as stalled car caused black flag and only 4 laps after that, but they were spent feeling out grip.

Another track issue and our second session was dropped. Finally got a solid 20 min in for third session and 10:35. Pressure were 45/44 when I came in. Grip didn't really seem that good for the first 4-5 laps, pretty good for the next 3 or 4 then back to not that good.

By last session at 3:30, was at 40/39 hot and they did pretty good all session. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done my street tires until the outside temp got above 60* so I could tell how much of a difference the tires would make. I was afraid I would be slowing everyone in the advanced group down, but it wouldn't have been an issue.

Will give them another shot at VIR in a couple of weeks. At least I will have a better starting clue.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Toyo actually recommends lower pressures than are being recommended by Ron @ AIM Tire. I have tried lower pressure vs high pressures, and my laptimes are better with high pressures -and- the car feels better.
Run the R888s at VIR yesterday. With 4 1/2 hrs track time, I had some opportunity to try different things. Outside temps were 25* starting with high of about 50* by afternoon. With ending temps around 38/37, tires felt great, stuck great even in the colder temps. Dropped 4 lbs to finish at 34/37lbs hot, but tires did not do as good. Active Handling kept coming on and my ABS started engaging. Not sure I was driving that much different. Curious if outside temps make that much difference for higher or lower tire temps. Won't find out untill next year.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

I really like the R888's I only have one track day on them but they worked great. I would like to play with air pressure more but I'm sold on them for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To First time track tire questions

Quick Reply: First time track tire questions