Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS for track wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS for track wheels

So I am having my new track wheels mounted with RA1s and wondered what do about the tire pressure sensors. Do you guys who track the C6 use them or do without?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
cfra
Intermediate

I use them to check how high my pressure is getting on the track so I can adjust during the day. I have heard some members complain that their car would go into limp mode without TPMS. If you get the TPMS make sure you get a programing tool. I put my track wheels on and bedded my brakes without programing the wheels and my car ran fine
but I only drove 10 miles
Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have lost a few sessions when an off shakes up the tps and it cracks. fortunately i take an extra to the track each time.. I and my tire guy are about ready to 86 the TPS and put them in a pressure can and bolt it down in the trunk.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by cfra
I use them to check how high my pressure is getting on the track so I can adjust during the day. I have heard some members complain that their car would go into limp mode without TPMS. If you get the TPMS make sure you get a programing tool. I put my track wheels on and bedded my brakes without programing the wheels and my car ran fine
but I only drove 10 miles
Do you get the sensors from Chevrolet or Tire Rack? How much are they, and how much is the programming tool? Ah, complications of modern technology...

Thanks!

Gary
Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

So no way to just remove a fuse and shut down TPS entirely I guess.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
So no way to just remove a fuse and shut down TPS entirely I guess.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:32 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Ateq VT-10

I installed the sensors in my autox tires. I like being able to instantly monitor tire pressures during the course of the day.

Tire Rack used to sell the Ateq VT-10 reset tool for around $100, but I see they no longer carry it. I did find it at:
http://revolutionsupply.com/VT10.aspx . I have no experience with that vendor. I don't think any forum vendors here sell TPMS reset tools. The VT-10 is the cheapest reset tool I've found. It works great and is fast.

If you get the Ateq be aware the instructions for other cars don't work on the C6. You use the left button, not the right button like on almost all other cars. Tire Rack used to have a special set of instructions on their website for the C6, but that's gone too.

Here they are:

1. Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).
2. Turn the Ignition key to the ACCESSORY position and apply the parking brake.
3. At the same time, press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the keyless entry remote for several seconds.
4. The horn should sound letting you know that the vehicle has entered into TPMS re-learn mode.
5. Place the VT10’s antenna against the driver’s side front tire’s sidewall aimed at the valve stem location.
6. Hold down the left button on the VT10 until the horn sounds.
7. The horn sound lets you know that the vehicle just registered that sensor.
8. You can now move on to the passenger side front tire.
9. Once again, place the VT10 against the tire’s sidewall at the valve stem location and hold down the left button.
10. Once the horn sounds you can move on to the passenger side rear tire and finish with the driver side rear tire.
11. Once the driver side rear tire is registered, the vehicle’s horn should sound twice to note that the re-learn procedure is complete.
12. You can now turn the vehicle off.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Have to

If you go from your normal rims to the ones without the TPS you have to be prepared to drive 90 miles without shutting off the motor. I have done this a number of times now and it takes between 70 - 90 miles before the last sensor is considered not existing. You have to get to that point otherwise the Active Handling think you have one or several flat tires and will more or less shut your car down in every corner.

I have done the mistake once. It is completely useless to drive with the car in that mode unless you are on the road. I had to get off track, drove 25 miles one way, turned and drove back, 15 miles the other way and then finally the last sensor was lost.

PeO.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PeOR
If you go from your normal rims to the ones without the TPS you have to be prepared to drive 90 miles without shutting off the motor. I have done this a number of times now and it takes between 70 - 90 miles before the last sensor is considered not existing. You have to get to that point otherwise the Active Handling think you have one or several flat tires and will more or less shut your car down in every corner.

I have done the mistake once. It is completely useless to drive with the car in that mode unless you are on the road. I had to get off track, drove 25 miles one way, turned and drove back, 15 miles the other way and then finally the last sensor was lost.

PeO.
Good info. I think I would much rather have no sensors on the track than have them and be disabled if one breaks (happened to me this yr).
What did the DIC read as the sensors where being lost?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Info

You need to see XX on the position of every tire. As long as you have a reading on any of them you have to keep going.

PeO.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I use TPS's in my track wheels....it's just much easier to keep full functionality than worrying about work-arounds. I know one man who keeps his sensors inside four small go-kart tires banded to the roll bar in the rear cargo area....a good way when you need to make a quick tire change during a pitstop.

Originally Posted by PeOR

I have done the mistake once. It is completely useless to drive with the car in that mode unless you are on the road
. I had to get off track, drove 25 miles one way, turned and drove back, 15 miles the other way and then finally the last sensor was lost.

PeO.

Driving on the track with TC and full active handling is downright dangerous! It happened to me once (due to an errant TPS) and I had to exit the track after one lap. It was scary...you expect your car to handle a certain way and it does something totally different.

Get notified of new replies

To TPS for track wheels

Quick Reply: TPS for track wheels