Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

History of the 710. Should I buy new / old tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default History of the 710. Should I buy new / old tires?

A buddy of mine has a pair of 335s, they are brand new, but they are from 2004. Are these going to perform as well as new ones?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used old 710's(4 years old at the time) before and chemically treated them with Formula V Tire compound(http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=3340) to soften the rubber. A lot depends on how well they were stored and Kumho rubber ages much better than some of the others(never buy old Goodyear or Michelin slicks, they have to be fresh or they are junk) but you need to look for any rubber cracking on the thread or sidewall(better seen when inflated) and whether they hold pressure when inflated; if you see any cracks or loss of pressure they are junk. Regardless, they are probably not worth more than $50 a tire.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red5
A buddy of mine has a pair of 335s, they are brand new, but they are from 2004. Are these going to perform as well as new ones?
No. But they might be pretty close to new tires.

Depends on how they were stored for the last 6 years. They could have been in a tire dealer's warehouse for a year or two, and that kind of storage has almost no effect on a tire. Then they were stored by your buddy somewhere somehow. If he kept them wrapped in something like a Hefty bag inside a climate controlled room/garage, then they should still be like almost new. If he left them outside in a sunny spot, then they could have dried out so much that they will never be very sticky on the track.

I used a couple old V710s (a 2004 and a 2006) on my car a few months ago, and they still were pretty good for HPDE use. I wouldn't try to win a race with them though, because they could be several tenths of a second slower than newer tires.

I would pay your buddy $100, maybe $125, a piece for them. Then I would use them for practice tires, not for any racing requiring the best possible lap times.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 12-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
NO
Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I've been told three years at the time I just got a "new" set of Hankooks that were over 2 years old (I did win TTA National Championship on those 2 years old "new" hankooks) so they couldn't have been that bad.

Get notified of new replies

To History of the 710. Should I buy new / old tires?

Quick Reply: History of the 710. Should I buy new / old tires?