Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness and harness mount bar

Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness and harness mount bar recommendation

All,

I would appreciate your help and opinions about harness mount bars and harnesses. I looked at one from West Coast Racing that looked very good but was pretty pricey.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...and-sport.aspx

I spoke with another person that could help me get a bar, harness and mounting for $300. So I am not sure whats the right step here.

Do you have anything you would recommend?

PeO.

Last edited by PeOR; 12-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my AS&M used for like $300. But it also came with camera mount and fire extinguisher w/mount. Fit is spot on plus the brace in the middle fits perfectly. It only has a single attachment point for the shoulder harness, so not sure if that is a big deal as harnesses attached OK. Seeing harness attachment is centered behind seat, not sure if I can attach seat brace in future.

I have the G-Force 3" 5 pt harnesses with cam lock that I also bought used for $130. But only one had been used, the other was brand new. If you are patient, you can find good used. I bought these 2 years before I ever got racing seats in car.

$300 seems like a good deal for everything. I would just be curious about strenght of bar. If harness if SFI rated, then they should be OK.

HTH.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Originally Posted by waddisme
I bought my AS&M used for like $300. But it also came with camera mount and fire extinguisher w/mount. Fit is spot on plus the brace in the middle fits perfectly. It only has a single attachment point for the shoulder harness, so not sure if that is a big deal as harnesses attached OK. Seeing harness attachment is centered behind seat, not sure if I can attach seat brace in future.
HTH.
Interesting. I tried to search for it but did not find any matches. You have not found anyone that sells them?

PeO.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

It is Arizona Speed and Marine. I just checked their website, and they did not have them listed for the C5 anymore. Sorry for the false lead.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM
PeOR
Instructor

I appreciate the try though!

PeO.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The B-K is a great bar, great fit. Provides a rigid, firm platform for a camera mount and harness anchor points. You should be able to find a used one in good shape on this forum if you are patient - same w/harnesses.

One caution - many HPDE groups (not all) are requiring seats designed with pass throughs in the seat back; so you may want to also look for the B-K hardware that allows you to snap your lap belts in/out and retain the factory belts.

Good luck
Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Originally Posted by PaConehead
The B-K is a great bar, great fit. Provides a rigid, firm platform for a camera mount and harness anchor points. You should be able to find a used one in good shape on this forum if you are patient - same w/harnesses.

One caution - many HPDE groups (not all) are requiring seats designed with pass throughs in the seat back; so you may want to also look for the B-K hardware that allows you to snap your lap belts in/out and retain the factory belts.

Good luck
Thx - appreciate the suggestion.

Actually, I am fine with the different cost levels as long as they are worth it. So, I am more interested what is a good buy. Then if it turns out to be the $700 bar, I will at least know that I likely will be quite happy with it.

I will check the HPDE rules as you say. Heading towards being able to join Time Trials at some point would be a great thing.

PeO.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PaConehead

Good luck
How are vette owners handling this short of swapping out seats?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
How are vette owners handling this short of swapping out seats?
Not a lot options: either use the cinch function on the factory seat belts, cut holes and add gromlets to the seat backs, or pitch the crappy OEM seats and get racing seat, some of which can be changed in/out pretty painlessly.
The harness bar, seat, and harness need to be designed and installed as system with the correct geometry and anchoring. Lots of posts on this.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I prefer the Brey-Krause harness bar. That said, consider how serious you might get about 'racing' as you progress over time. You might be better off to skip the harness bar and go straight to a roll bar. If so, I suggest a custom fabricated roll bar built in accordance with the specs of whatever organization(s) you run in. Just a thought.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the BK.... I just installed it in the past 3 weeks so havn't used it yet. Fit and finish is #1 I don't think you will be disapointed.

My .02 worth
Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 AM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Appreciate

I saw an install of a BK and it looked quite good. I will check another brand as well to see how it looks.

Wayne, I did convert my previous daily driver to a full race car with roll cage and no interior left. I am going to stay on "this side the fence" this time. Or at least, that is my intention now..

I appreciate all your feedback.

PeO.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

I just swapped from a Hardbar to a Sharkbar. Both are well made. The Sharkbar meets my requirements better than the Hardbar did.

As far as using a bar and race harnesses with the stock seats most HPDE groups will not let you run a race harness if it goes around the seat Vs through it. A large number frown on using a stock seat that has been modified with harness pass throughs. One solution to that problem I have seen is to fasten the race harness and then fasten the stock three point over top of it.

The best way to use a race harness is to get a race seat. The seat holds you in place and the harness holds you in the seat. With the stock seat the harness holds you in place and because the seat doesn't have enough bolstering on the sides it really doesn't provide much more support than the stock 3 point harness when it is in cinch mode.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The best way to use a race harness is to get a race seat. The seat holds you in place and the harness holds you in the seat. With the stock seat the harness holds you in place and because the seat doesn't have enough bolstering on the sides it really doesn't provide much more support than the stock 3 point harness when it is in cinch mode.

Bill
I have been thinking in line with this as well. I have a beige interior and I was happy when I found a beige race seat but it turned out to be a custom made item. I think I will go with the bar only to start with. But you might be right, that a seat will be necessary in order to sit still. Reflections from people doing the original chair and 5 pt harness appreciated.

..Then you gain probably 30 lbs with a race seat, I would think. But this is about to get out of hand... It is my daily driver..

PeO.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been using a Hardbar for the past few years and it's been fine. I've also heard good things about Sharkbars. I know another South Florida member who may be selling a Sharkbar to replace with a roll bar. I'll have him shoot you a PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by PeOR
I have been thinking in line with this as well. I have a beige interior and I was happy when I found a beige race seat but it turned out to be a custom made item. I think I will go with the bar only to start with. But you might be right, that a seat will be necessary in order to sit still. Reflections from people doing the original chair and 5 pt harness appreciated.

..Then you gain probably 30 lbs with a race seat, I would think. But this is about to get out of hand... It is my daily driver..

PeO.
In the 18 years I have been doing this with C4s, C5s and now a C6 I have come to believe if you aren't changing the seat don't bother with a harness bar. If you can get a seat that will hold you in place like the early C4 seats did then it is even easier to get by without a harness bar. Currently I change seats back and forth during the season but that gets to be a pain, is hard on my back and knees while swapping and is hard on the electrical connectors for the air bags, heaters and seat controls.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Harness and harness mount bar

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harness and harness mount bar