Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

CORVETTE RACING AT AUSTIN: Second, Third in ALMS GT Qualifying

Team makes massive gains from practice to qualifying on damp day in Texas

AUSTIN, Texas (Sept. 20, 2013) – Corvette Racing didn’t let heavy rains and an unfamiliar track deter its efforts in qualifying Friday for the inaugural American Le Mans Series race at Circuit of The Americas. The two Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.Rs earned the second- and third-place starting spots in the GT field for Saturday’s two-hour, 45-minute race.

ESPN2 will air at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday with live coverage available on ESPN3 beginning at 4:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Antonio Garcia in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette qualified on the outside of the GT front row with a lap of 2:17.442 (89.056 mph) around the 3.4-mile, 20-turn layout. The Spaniard, who drives with Jan Magnussen, set his best time on his final lap to overtake teammate Oliver Gavin for the second spot.

Gavin posted a best lap of 2:17.594 (88.957 mph) in the No. 4 Corvette. The Englishman and seatmate Tommy Milner come to Circuit of the Americas with a two-point lead in the GT drivers’ standings as they try to repeat as class champions. Garcia and Magnussen are second in the championship and sit just two points back.

In the manufacturer standings, Chevrolet leads BMW by 20 points. Corvette Racing also heads the team championship with three rounds left in the season.

Friday’s qualifying effort saw a remarkable turnaround for the two Corvettes. After placing fourth and seventh in the day’s first practice and fifth and eighth in the second session, team and Michelin tire engineers developed a sound strategy for time trials. The results spoke for themselves. Only Joey Hand qualified faster at 2:17.178 (89.227 mph).

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

International Sports Car Weekend (all times CT)

· Warmup: 8 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 21

· Race: 3:45 p.m., Saturday Sept. 21

Circuit of The Americas: Watch It!

Saturday, Sept. 21-Sunday, Sept. 22 (all times ET)

· Race (Web): Live – 4:30 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 21 (ESPN3)

· Race (TV): 1 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 22 (ESPN2)

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“We know this track appeared to be very aggressive on tires. So over 15 minutes you only have two or three shots at a good lap. My very first lap, the balance wasn’t quite there. So I knew where to push on my second run. I put together a very, very nice lap. It is great to have Corvette Racing in P2 and P3, especially after how the last session went. We knew the performance was there but couldn’t quite put it together. But I am very happy. The car was really good.”

(His best lap) “On the very last lap, the tires were giving up on the last three corners. At one point I thought comparing that lap to my previous best that I could go down in the 2:16s but the tires just gave up over the last few corners. Still, it was pretty decent work and happy to be on the first row.”

(Starting second and third) “Being up front is always good. We know anything can happen. In a situation like Baltimore, just being one spot or one row behind where we were would have put us out of the race. You cannot predict that but for sure being on the front row gives you the best shot in the race.”

(The fight with BMW) “We are the meat in the sandwich. For sure, we’ve seeing again that the four strongest cars are from both manufacturers. They will be very strong tomorrow so we will see how it develops. We still don’t know how the weather will be. If it is part of the race, it will come down to the pits and crews again. As I’ve said in the past, Corvette Racing is the best third driver you can have. I’m glad to be in this position.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“This is a big fill-up for us. It’s been a difficult couple of sessions for us, and we didn’t look so good in the rain early on. But we worked away at a plan. (Lead engineer) Chuck (Houghton) and the guys from Michelin worked hard together as well with the No. 3 car and us to put a plan together of how we were going to run the session. We knew that we had to do (the times) early to make it work, and it did. So we’re pleased to be second and third. My strategy after the first timed lap maybe wasn’t as aggressive as Antonio’s in terms of what he did to get the performance back for his (final) timed lap. But he did a fantastic job to get to that time. This is a very solid place for us to start the race tomorrow.”

(On the race outlook) “I think it will be dry and we will just have to see. It’s a little bit of an unknown for all of us being here for the first time – seeing what tire life is like, how cars hang up in the heat and how the race evolves. The track will be washed off today and should rubber up for our race. Balance of the cars may change throughout and how cars react to certain things. Things like tire pressures and different compounds... It will be very busy on top of the timing stand to make sure we’re on top of all that.”

(Adjustments from practice to qualifying) “The biggest change was our approach with the tire, understanding it and how we were going to get the lap time from that tire and which particular wet tire we were going to run. It looked like we made the right choice because we made a nice little jump. I’m pleased with that. I far prefer to start second and third than eighth and ninth.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

“We saw earlier in the week the challenge that Circuit of The Americas can present. Those were amplified today with periods of heavy rain and a wet track. The improvements our engineers – both from Corvette Racing and our partners at Michelin – and crew made between practice and qualifying was the stuff of champions. Baltimore proved how critical your starting position can be, and having our Corvettes second and third on the grid gives us a great chance to secure important championship points.”

ACO Honoring Corvette Legend Dick Thompson on ALMS/WEC Weekend

‘Flying Dentist’ is oldest living American to race at Le Mans 24 Hours

AUSTIN, Texas (Sept. 20, 2013) – Through the years, Corvette and Chevrolet have had the honor of racing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. A number of American sports car achievements have come from Corvette drivers over the years, and those contributions will be front and center during a special ceremony this weekend at Circuit of The Americas.

Friday evening, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO), the governing body of Le Mans, will honor Dr. Dick Thompson, the oldest living American to race at Le Mans. “The Flying Dentist” won multiple SCCA national championships from the mid-1950s to early-1960s, and Thompson was part of Corvette’s initial journey to Le Mans in 1960 in one of Briggs Cunningham’s three Corvettes.

Cunningham’s trio of cars, plus a fourth entered by Camoradi USA, started a dramatic shift in the perception of Corvette as a global sports car brand. Corvette Racing’s debut of the C5-R at the great race in 2000 added to its rich history. Since that time, Corvette Racing captured seven class victories at Le Mans with the C5-R and C6.R.

As part of this weekend’s tribute, both of Corvette Racing’s Compuware Corvette C6.Rs that race in the American Le Mans Series’ GT class will feature the names of every American driver who has raced at Le Mans in the race’s first 90 years. Included on that list are seven American drivers who drove or currently drive for Corvette Racing.

The ALMS shares the COTA weekend with the FIA World Endurance Championship.

JIM CAMPBELL, CHEVROLET VICE PRESIDENT, PERFORMANCE VEHICLES AND MOTORSPORTS

“We salute and honor all of the American drivers who have competed at Le Mans, including Dr. Dick Thompson for his achievements. He was inducted in the National Corvette Museum’s Hall of Fame in 2000 – a very special honor in the Corvette community. I personally had the opportunity to spend time with Dr. Thompson at the 12 Hours of Sebring a number of years ago, where we sat in the 1959 Corvette Stingray Racer. It was extra special because he had actually raced that car.”

PIERRE FILLON, PRESIDENT, AUTOMOBILE CLUB DE L’OUEST

“As part of the ceremonies linked to the 90th anniversary of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest is pleased to honor the American drivers who have raced at Le Mans through their most senior, Dr. Dick Thompson, a former Corvette driver. An iconic American brand, Corvette’s racing history is tied to the 24 Hours of Le Mans and there could be no more appropriate a manufacturer to carry the names of all the U.S. drivers who have distinguished themselves at the 24 Hours of Le Mans."
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The grandstands at COTA were nearly empty in today's race. How does the series even get any sponsorship when they don't have anyone in the stands. I have noticed the same thing in the 24 Hours of Daytona too.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:15 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

awesome race!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
The grandstands at COTA were nearly empty in today's race. How does the series even get any sponsorship when they don't have anyone in the stands. I have noticed the same thing in the 24 Hours of Daytona too.
I was there. COTA is an AWESOME facility. One deceiving aspect is the huge size which has many people spread all around the the 3+ mile track. We sat in grandstands for a while, but we also walked around a lot.

They try to charge $139 for the car corral package, or $79 for a 3-day package. But we paid the $49 single-day GA price instead and went everywhere we wanted thanks to the empty seats.

The track was charging too much for a part of the country where few yet follow this series (NASCAR would be different). They need to think in terms of getting this seeded with the public. But that's something that COTA needs to figure out.

As for ALMS, and the new series - no doubt they need to seize the opportunity with the coming new merger to refocus and build the marketing effort.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of what crowd was there cheered when the #3 Corvette held off the BMW late in the race. It's as if that were the only class racing that people were watching.

The prototype classes were like exhibitions running - definitely need to rethink marketing this series when new combined classes with Grand Am run in 2014.

Last edited by VETTEMANN; 09-22-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by skxf430
Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
I was there. COTA is an AWESOME facility. One deceiving aspect is the huge size which has many people spread all around the the 3+ mile track. We sat in grandstands for a while, but we also walked around a lot.

The track was charging too much for a part of the country where few yet follow this series (NASCAR would be different). They need to think in terms of getting this seeded with the public. But that's something that COTA needs to figure out.

As for ALMS, and the new series - no doubt they need to seize the opportunity with the coming new merger to refocus and build the marketing effort.
Most of what crowd was there cheered when the #3 Corvette held off the BMW late in the race. It's as if that were the only class racing that people were watching.

The prototype classes were like exhibitions running - definitely need to rethink marketing this series when new combined classes with Grand Am run in 2014.
They won't have any problem at all packing the joint at VIR in two weeks.

Mid-Ohio would've been nuts-to-butts too. Maybe the powers that be in sports car racing will figure that out some day.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

And as a matter of opinion I think it is one of the most astute comments posted here. You put into words what I myself couldn't do even though I felt it. The idea that the prototypes are like an exhibition seems to put the whole ALMS Series into perspective for me. They are there and important in a development sense but during the race they are like obstacles, albeit very fast obstacles that my team Corvette Racing has to navigate in order to win the all important GT Class. Funny that the race organizers don't see it that way. When I was at Sebring this year I read that there were 100,000 spectators there. I walked among them for 3 days and I found that the vast, vast majority were there to cheer on their favorites: Corvette, Ferrari, BMW. Aston Martin, Porsche, and Viper. I too hope that United Racing comes to realize this and finds a way to put the GT class front and center in their marketing strategy.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Is there a trick to getting a hotel room at the VIR? I would love to go, but just cant see staying 50 to 100 miles away.

BTW...........I was thinking the same thing about the small crowd (at least the crowd on TV) at today's race.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
nrt69
Instructor

Went this weekend for the ALMS race, and as a volunteer, I got everything for free. And when I say everything, I mean way more than I could've ever imagined. All I had to do is work for a few hours each day. The work sucked though. I mean, I had one job where I had to stand behind the Patron girls for about an hour during the opening ceremonies. NASCAR (USCR) doesn't do volunteers so it looks like this option wont work for me next year.
The track is a lot nicer in person than what id seen on the internet. That said, they are still incredibly out of bounds with their pricing. I think they need some good cheap onsite camping options and more people will show up.
The best deal IMO is the Corvette corral and the VIP Paddock Club - which is expensive but you get a lot for the money. Im going to do one of these for the vintage races next month.

PS
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but the C7R is going to retain the teams yellow w/black colors.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 PM
nrt69
Instructor

oh yeah, I too was there solely for the GT battles. I think that the GT LeMans and GT Daytona categories will be a lot better next year.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Was there a trick to getting a room? I am sure there are a lot of "blocked" hotels for the race that may open up closer to the race. Is this the case, or is there another way to get a room other than searching individual hotels on the internet?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM
95ragtop
Racer

We love volunteering but find it expensive. Hotels, transportation, etc. But you get such a different insight into racing.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by RACE U
Is there a trick to getting a hotel room at the VIR? I would love to go, but just cant see staying 50 to 100 miles away.
Hillsborough, NC is 40 miles from VIR and it's a very nice commute past red barns and cows. It's about 40 minutes. Plan on getting up eeeaarly if you want a good spot at the track.

There are lots of great places to eat and grab a beer in Hillsborough, too.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:51 AM
95ragtop
Racer

can't see any available from Danville, Greta, South Boston, Hillsboro NC unless you pay over $300 per night. To bad I had just cancelled an extra room back.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default [video] - Corvette Racing's Tommy Milner at Sebring - /DRIVER'S EYE

Originally Posted by cor123
CORVETTE RACING OPENS 2013 WITH WIN AT SEBRING

No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R Brings 8th 12-Hour Victory to Corvette Racing

SEBRING, Fla., (March 16, 2013) – Tommy Milner made a late pass for the lead and then held on for the final 15 minutes as the No. 4 GT Compuware Corvette C6.R won the American Le Mans Series GT class 61st Annual Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring at Sebring International Raceway on Saturday.

The No. 4 Corvette C6.R – driven by 2012 Drivers’ champions Milner and Oliver Gavin, and Richard Westbrook – overcame an early electrical issue and two key penalties to win the 2013 ALMS opener. It is Gavin’s fifth victory at Sebring; Milner and Westbrook each recorded his first.

“What an incredible effort by Corvette Racing; these guys never gave up,” said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. Vice-President for Performance Vehicles & Motorsports. “They came from behind multiple times. It was a focused team effort, with great driving and great calls in the pits, and great pits stops, and they delivered a big win. I’m proud of them.”

The No. 3 GT Compuware Corvette C6.R – driven by Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Jordan Taylor – retired with just over three hours remaining due to an overheated gearbox. The team, which also experienced an electrical issue early in the race, finished in 11th place in class, 120 laps off the pace in class.

Milner took over for Gavin with two hours to go and the No. 4 Corvette C6.R the No. 62 Ferrari F458 Italia by about one minute; when he pitted with an hour remaining, he was about a half minute behind.

“Those guys had an unreal pit stop at the end,” Milner said. “We were about a minute back and then 35 seconds at the next pit stop, and then we were 14 seconds back. And once I got to see him, I thought, ‘Here we go. I’ve got a chance here.’ Once I got close to him, he went wide in one and I knew he was pushing hard and he kept making mistakes, and that was it, that was the moment.”

“Really, it came down to when Tommy got on the back bumper of the leader, and that’s when I thought this is when we can really make this happen,” Gavin said. “Tommy was relentless – chasing him down, chasing him down, putting the pressure on. It was a spectacular victory for everybody at Corvette Racing. I’m really delighted.”

Gavin qualified second in the No. 4 Corvette C6.R, and on the very first lap gained the lead. The team was still out front in its class when, nearing the race’s third hour, Westbrook reported that smoke was coming from the dashboard.

“It was clear that we had a good car from the beginning, and then when I had that problem with the dashboard, which put us two laps down – it took a few yellows and some great stints by these two to get us back into position on the lead lap,” Westbrook said. “The pit stops and Tommy’s stint was just amazing at the end, and on balance I thought we deserved it, and we did it the hard way.”

Corvette Racing, which last year won the ALMS Manufacturers’ and Team championships, earned its ALMS-leading 78th all-time victory.

“You can’t start a better way,” Gavin said. “We had a very good year last year in the championship. We didn’t have a great Sebring last year, but this win just puts us up there straightaway, leading the championship off the bat. Tommy and I just sort of picked up where we left off last year, which is exactly what we wanted to do. Proud of all the guys at Corvette Racing today. They nailed every single stop. It was spectacular to watch.”

The No. 3 Corvette C6.R started fifth but experienced a couple of problems early. Garcia accidently ran into the back of a slower car which was in the middle of the track, and incurred a 60-second penalty, then he reported problems with downshifting. Starting on lap 20, the car three times came in for repairs – which included changing the gearbox, steering wheel and electronics.

The car is very, very good, it’s just a shame that we’re so far back,” Taylor said after his first stint. “We have a very competitive car.” The team used its remaining time on track as a test session before its night ended early.

GT Class, 61st Annual Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring

1. #4 Chevrolet Corvette C6.R (Gavin/Milner/Westbrook), 333 laps

2. #62 Ferrari F458 Italia (Bruni/Beretta/Malucelli), 333 laps

3. #17 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (Henzler/Sellers/Tandy), -1 lap

4. #55 BMW Z4 GTE (Auberlin/Martín/J. Muller), -3 laps

5. #91 SRT Viper GTS-R (Dalziel/Farnbacher/Goossens), -4 laps

6. #48 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (Miller/Holzer/Lietz), -4 laps

7. #56 BMW Z4 GTE (D. Muller/Hand/Edwards), -12 laps

8. #97 Aston Martin Vantage V8 (Turner/Mucke/Senna), -15 laps

9. #007 Aston Martin Vantage V8 (Della Lana/Johnson/Lamy), -26 laps

10. #93 SRT Viper GTS-R (Bomarito/Kendall/Wittmer), -30 laps
Not the latest video, but still nice to watch.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 AM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
Was there a trick to getting a room? I am sure there are a lot of "blocked" hotels for the race that may open up closer to the race. Is this the case, or is there another way to get a room other than searching individual hotels on the internet?
There is group of us staying at the Best Western Plus in Burlington NC, its about a 40 minute drive to the track.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 95ragtop
We love volunteering but find it expensive. Hotels, transportation, etc. But you get such a different insight into racing.
Just saw you guys are from north of the border, in Ontario. Do you know Ron Medley? I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago at the National Corvette Museum. He was there for the induction of Ron Fellows into the NCM Hall of Fame.

We stayed in the same hotel, and met there.

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nickTsandman
There is group of us staying at the Best Western Plus in Burlington NC, its about a 40 minute drive to the track.
Hey Thanks. I will check it out.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:55 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Please help Gainsco win the Grand-Am Rolex "Moment of the Year Award"

Thanks for your ongoing support of GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing. The great victory the “Red Dragon” team had at Circuit of The Americas this year is one of five on the ballot for the Rolex Moment of The Year. Voting ends tomorrow and we are the only Corvette on the ballot! The winner will be announced at the GRAND-AM Rolex Series Banquet on Monday night.
Can you please take a minute to vote AND pass this note on to all? We want to win this honor for you and Corvette! Click here, select the second video and vote away! Thank you!
http://www.grand-am.com/rolexmoments

Adam Saal
SaalGood for GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Default ALMS at VIR

2013 American Le Mans Series at VIR

Virginia International Raceway, Danville, Virginia, USA
Oct 3 - 5, 2013

Tune-in Details:

Television Broadcast:
10/06/2013 at 5:30 pm EDT on ESPN 2

Live Streaming:
10/05/2013 at 2:00 pm EDT on ESPN 3

Live Qualifying:
10/04/2013 at 3:35 pm EDT on ESPN 3

LIVE TIMING:
http://scoring.alms.com/

Live Timing for mobile device:
http://scoring.alms.com/mobile.html

PIT NOTES:
http://twitter.com/almsnotes

RADIO ALMS
http://www.americanlemans.com/

Live onboard cameras:
http://www.alms.com/camera/live-audio-broadcast

TICKET INFO:
http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/ev...gn=events-page

Event Schedule:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/event...upp%20Regs.pdf

Spotters Guide:
http://www.spotterguides.com/

Corvette Corral: http://www.alms.com/sites/default/fi...e%20Corral.pdf

Entry List:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/event...MS%20Entry.pdf

Track Map:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/event...rackMap813.jpg

Track Elevation Map:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2013/event...ations2012.jpg

WEATHER:
http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Raci...l-Raceway.aspx

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!