Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Winter TESTING began @ 8am this morning!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
Winter TESTING began @ 8am this morning!
The online scoring is pretty neat. You can block out the classes you don't want to see and it shows who's in the pits, who moved up, who moved down and who retired.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 PM
sundevilfan
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Johnny O - The Red Rocket

Originally Posted by Giant Killer
Anyone else as PO'd as I am over the fact that The Corvette Race team moves Johnny O'Connell, their most loyal driver, down to a lower tier series and replaces him with a Brit and one young relatively inexperienced American. I have supported the Corvette guys from day one, and respect and admire the drivers but with all the top level American driving talent that are out of rides it is odd that they only can find room in a 6 driver team for one American. One American driving for a racing team racing American built Corvettes. How about giving the Corvette fans an American team to cheer for and follow? I read the interview announcing the new additions to the team and the spokesman said the Corvette is a Global Brand. There is the answer, evidently drivers are hired by GM's marketing dept. No flag waving here. Not the American flag, anyway. "America's Sports Car" --- not any more.
I too will miss Johnny at Corvette Racing. I always enjoyed talking to him in the paddock at the races and once had a 45 minute discussion with him staying at the same hotel in Bowling Green during the Corvette 50th Anniversary Celebration. He is a great guy but he is no longer a spring chicken. I believe this move to Cadillac will prove to be a good career move for Johnny and of great benefit to Cadillac. I am going to try to attend an ALMS race this season where the World Challenge is a companion race. Teaming Johnny with Andy Pilgrim is going to be dynamite for Cadillac and that series. Go Johnny O. By the way.........when you see what Tommy Milner brings to the table you are going to be impressed. He is a rising star. He is also an American driver. It was also tough to see Ron Fellows moved out of his seat.........Father Time has us all in his sights.
The following users liked this post:
YellowEarl (01-17-2023)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Steve Wolf
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giant Killer
...I have supported the Corvette guys from day one, and respect and admire the drivers but with all the top level American driving talent that are out of rides it is odd that they only can find room in a 6 driver team for one American.
Who are the top level American drivers out of work you're referring to?

For those interested, there are some new photos of the 2011 Corvette race cars and drivers at http://www.rprincephoto.com.

Last edited by Steve Wolf; 02-20-2011 at 12:42 AM.
YellowEarl (01-17-2023)
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I went to my first two ALMS races last year and had a ball even though Corvette Racing didn't fare well in either. So now I come to the table very late and would appreciate any info CF folks can give me on ALMS from here on in. I will be driving to Sebring in my new GS that was just completed at bowling Green but not delivered yet. Thought it would be a good chance to break it in once I got south of the Mason Dixon line.

I hadn't figured out what this sticky was but now I will check it out often. Any advice you guys can give me (gals too lol) would be of great help.
YellowEarl (01-17-2023)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
I went to my first two ALMS races last year and had a ball even though Corvette Racing didn't fare well in either. So now I come to the table very late and would appreciate any info CF folks can give me on ALMS from here on in. I will be driving to Sebring in my new GS that was just completed at bowling Green but not delivered yet. Thought it would be a good chance to break it in once I got south of the Mason Dixon line.

I hadn't figured out what this sticky was but now I will check it out often. Any advice you guys can give me (gals too lol) would be of great help.
The crew from The Great White North ( Canada, eh ) will be heading down to the race again this year! Leaving first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. This will be my 6th year!

We generally drive to Charlotte, NC ... and stay at one of the Holiday Inn Express hotels ... then head over to the I-95 Wednesday morning to meet up with John (LJD51) at the Cracker Barrel at Exit #53 in Walterboro, SC. @ around 9A - 10A'ish

After Breakfast, it's onto Florida! We stay in Bartow, which is a nice drive to the Sebring Track (around 50 minutes)

If you are interested in meeting up, and cruising down with us ... send me a text!

Mark
Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

OK, dumb question. There is a 3rd Corvette ZR-1 entered. What is GTE-AM?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by F4Gary
OK, dumb question. There is a 3rd Corvette ZR-1 entered. What is GTE-AM?
It is for privateers and Larbre Competition is racing the 3rd Corvette. That car was the #3 car from last year

The demise of the GT1 category has brought a unified GT class for 2011, albeit split into two categories primarily around a drivers’ ranking. GTE Pro, formally known as the ultra-successful GT2 class, remains relatively unchanged, aside from the introduction of paddle shift gearboxes and minor aerodynamic adjustments.

GTE Am will mirror GTE Pro, except for two distinct differences. Cars must be at least one year old and only one driver with Platinum or Gold status will be eligible in each lineup. There are no driver restrictions in GTE Pro.
While many thought we'd seen the last of the Saleen S7R in Zhuhai, China last month, it appears 2010-spec GT1 machines have been given another lease on life, at least for one more year in GTE Am. (Photo: John Dagys)

Additionally, 2010-spec GT1 cars, such as the Matech Ford GT, Aston Martin DBR9 and Saleen S7R, will be permitted to compete in GTE Am for next year only. It’s unclear what Balance of Performance adjustments, if any, would be given to the already detuned-for-2010 machines.

Last edited by KBow_Photo; 03-18-2011 at 11:31 PM.
YellowEarl (01-17-2023)
Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Otto Mos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides ALMS's bone-headed move out of Speed, at least we have net neutrality or else viewers would be screwed. Who knew a government takeover of the internet could be helpful! LOL.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

GTE Am will mirror GTE Pro
Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is with the vision comments by the ESPN crew from the Vettes, something about
the view is much worse from the camera than from anything else. Also there was a
loss of the tearoff's from one of the Vettes and I think they replaced the windshield,
is that part of the issue? Any input welcome.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

So now we wait til July for the next ALMS race ....
Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
So now we wait til July for the next ALMS race ....
Yea, and then watch while the BMW Team embarrasses us again. I'll be at Lime Rock but I'll be really surprised if Corvette Racing can keep up with the Euros.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

24hrs of LeMans TEST day tomorrow (Easter Sunday).

You can listen via Radio Lemans (Www.radiolemans.com)

[http://www.lemans.org/en/courses/24h...11/photos.html
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The Corvette team is testing but not with their own cars.

[The test] is really not important at all if nobody was going,” said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. “But when you give your competition a full day at Le Mans to test new stuff, you might as well not show up. It’s that serious. That’s how important laps are around that place. If everyone else is going, you have to go.”

While unable to take its two factory cars to the test this weekend, Corvette Racing is here running Larbre Competition’s Corvette C6.R, a year-old chassis with 2011 updates. All four of the team’s full-season drivers - Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta, Jan Magnussen and Tommy Milner - will rotate through the car on Sunday."

Richard Newton
Newton's Law
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
24hrs of LeMans TEST day tomorrow (Easter Sunday).

You can listen via Radio Lemans (Www.radiolemans.com)

[http://www.lemans.org/en/courses/24h...11/photos.html
Give the French credit they get a great turnout just for a test day.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
The Corvette team is testing but not with their own cars.

[The test] is really not important at all if nobody was going,” said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. “But when you give your competition a full day at Le Mans to test new stuff, you might as well not show up. It’s that serious. That’s how important laps are around that place. If everyone else is going, you have to go.”

While unable to take its two factory cars to the test this weekend, Corvette Racing is here running Larbre Competition’s Corvette C6.R, a year-old chassis with 2011 updates. All four of the team’s full-season drivers - Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta, Jan Magnussen and Tommy Milner - will rotate through the car on Sunday."

Richard Newton
Newton's Law
hopefully Larbre Competition gets to keep the parts and data.

Get notified of new replies

To ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM
chucks00
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III & VI Veteran

Corvette Corral info. Got this in an email

Thank you for your interest in the Corvette Corral!

Please click on the link below to purchase your Corvette Corral packages for the Baltimore Grand Prix. Once logged in, you'll need this access code; CRACING

http://www.ticketingcentral.com/V2/H...f%2f%2fw%3d%3d
Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Who all is heading north for the Mosport race?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
dowie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there and looking forward to the races.

Quick Reply: ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE!