Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C LS2 + HPDE.... oil system concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default H/C LS2 + HPDE.... oil system concerns?

Hey guys,

Saw in a thread recently where many expressed serious concerns about the stock LS2 oiling system when pushed hard around a track. I'm planning to attend a handful if not more HPDE's next year and am looking for some thoughts around this topic.

During the engines upgrades I've added a ported stock oil pump and C6Z oil cooler to the mix with all else being stock at this point. Is there anything I should be considering here? Someone mentioned something about the oil pan but it wasn't clear exactly what.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 01:37 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock LS2 ('06) hits low-teens for oil pressure pulling 1.2G around T2 at Thunderhill -- sustained left hander -- DRM coilovers, Toyo R888 tires. I've been thinking about a trap-door oil pan (http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=26-04110) but really think if I want to run Hoosiers I need a dry sump... FWIW, the Flyin' Miata guys confirmed with their supplier that the pan I linked *should* fit a C6...

Old 12-19-2010, 02:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Stay off the Rev limiter, add an extra quart of oil and you should be OK You have the oil cooler so should be good to keep those temps down

Best is an accu-sump or dry sump and oil cooler.

Have at it and have fun
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Stay off the Rev limiter, add an extra quart of oil and you should be OK You have the oil cooler so should be good to keep those temps down

Have at it and have fun
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have at it and have fun

I agree.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

again I think the biggest suggestion we have seen with H/C cars is to stay off that rev limiter. Shift before the red line.

High RPMs & high lift cams ( Over .590 lift ) Kill valve trains faster then most ppl think. ( LS1tech Guys are a bit shy on experience on road courses ) Check your springs half way through your summer and next winter.

Watch your oil temps ( 260 and under is great) and engine temps. May think about a bigger radiator

Change your oil after two events and send to black stone for oil analysis. This will tell you what is happening inside your engine.

Oil recommendations: 15w-50 or 40wt racing oil

Keep us posted on your fun.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Have at it and have fun

agreed

Its somewhat tough answering this question, since a lot of it is up to the driver and his/her capabilties. The faster you are, the more you are in need of a dry sump or at least accusump. Mods also come into play, tires etc.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
My stock LS2 ('06) hits low-teens for oil pressure pulling 1.2G around T2 at Thunderhill -- sustained left hander -- DRM coilovers, Toyo R888 tires. I've been thinking about a trap-door oil pan (http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=26-04110) but really think if I want to run Hoosiers I need a dry sump... FWIW, the Flyin' Miata guys confirmed with their supplier that the pan I linked *should* fit a C6...

Wow, semi-thread hijack incoming!

I just finished nine months of work getting this onto the road:

I'm running one of V8R's oil pans, here's a different view of it. It's designed for the LS1; if the LS2/3 pans are the same configuration as the LS1 you should be good to go:

Y'all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Thank you everyone for the great information! Seems like I am in good shape based on the responses which is good to hear.

I'm just looking to get some seat time in and better my driving at the limit while having some fun.

I'm still looking for a set of C5Z wheels and will likely run a "good" tire that won't break the bank but still give me the much needed grip I'm looking for. I'm very familiar with the hp I have under the hood so no surprises there. Any tire suggestions for these wheels? Would love to run 18's all around but if not what about the 17/18" setup for tires?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:22 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Oil recommendations: 15w-50 or 40wt racing oil

I run 7qts of 10w-30 Royal Purple with a RP oil filter as the norm. Do you all still recommend that I change this out to the above mentioned for each HPDE?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as i had been running the same thing last year but not quite 7 qts but i may want to if i switch tires. I did RP and the engine itself seemed fine but maybe a thicker version may be in order, especially over the summer here in Texas.

I am building a 403 stroker for HPDEs and will be looking at getting R888s to hold that power better. 234/238 cam with .601/.603 lift with 114+2LSA was a relatively low lift cam but should still work alright. I did TEA stage 2 Heads with that came and the stroker in my LS2 with a new FAST102 and NW102 along with the CF112 Halltech SuperBee Intake with beehive and shroud cutouts.

***reason for all that was the bolts on my stock camshaft sheered off back in oct***

I will be getting up towards or over 500rwhp so i worry about temps and oil pressure as well. I am having an oil pump shimmed to increase the pressure which should help when the oil gets thing like that at high temps.

FYI, i would have done suspension first but the engine went first.

When it comes to keep the car cool, what about Ron Davis Radiators versus others. Heard once they were one of the best just curious to keep temps down.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:46 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Any tire suggestions for these wheels? Would love to run 18's all around but if not what about the 17/18" setup for tires?
285/18 Nitto 555R2 square on 10.5 C5Z wheels. you can rotate them. good arrive and drive tire
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for the great information! Seems like I am in good shape based on the responses which is good to hear.

I'm just looking to get some seat time in and better my driving at the limit while having some fun.

I'm still looking for a set of C5Z wheels and will likely run a "good" tire that won't break the bank but still give me the much needed grip I'm looking for. I'm very familiar with the hp I have under the hood so no surprises there. Any tire suggestions for these wheels? Would love to run 18's all around but if not what about the 17/18" setup for tires?

Make sure the 17" wheels will clear over brakes.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I run 7qts of 10w-30 Royal Purple with a RP oil filter as the norm. Do you all still recommend that I change this out to the above mentioned for each HPDE?
YES once your weather gets warm.

RP makes a 15-W50 IIRC

15-W50 has far more anti wear additives and helps keep heat in check slightly.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
agreed

Its somewhat tough answering this question, since a lot of it is up to the driver and his/her capabilties. The faster you are, the more you are in need of a dry sump or at least accusump. Mods also come into play, tires etc.
Sometimes........ The slower you get out of a corner the more time you have under Gs and more likely you are to suck air But then again, the harder you drive the more Gs you will pull.

It really depends:o

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To H/C LS2 + HPDE.... oil system concerns?

Quick Reply: H/C LS2 + HPDE.... oil system concerns?