Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Suggestions for my C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Bobzilla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Suggestions for my C4

OK, I'm 6' tall and cannot wear my helmet inside my 88 Z51 with the top on. This isn't so bad on sunny days, but when it's cold and rainy that's not a real good option. The seat is all the way down and is just too damn tall.

Suggestions on a "Cost Effective" (read: cheap) seat swap? Need something to hold me in place, that is not a complete pile of crap and lowers me about an inch, to an inch and a half. It's getting old removing the top every time I want to go race.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Until I can get a racing seat I just remove the bottom seat cushion in my 92.

This winter I'll be sourcing an aluminum racing seat and harnesses (I already have a roll bar installed). I'll be using the hardbar seat rails I bought a couple years ago to mount them.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know a couple of people who have just taken out their seat tracks and mounted the stock seat directly to the floor. I know one guy who is still so tall, he has to take otu the bottom seat cushion and sits on a small pillow in his 96. You will loose your adjustability that way, but it works to keep your head in the car.

Maybe try some later seats and/or tracks. My dad has a 90 ZR-1 with the sport seats and we fit just fine. My dad is about 5'10" (with most of that being his torso), I am about 5'11" and my brother is about 6' tall. I don't know if some of the non power seat tracks sit lower than power tracks though.

BTW, where is Lebbrownsville, IN? I'm from Lakeville up towards South Bend.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can answer your question. You really need to do two things. You need to go to the glass top for racing, if you don't already have it, opens a lot of room. Next you go to the Corbeau A4 with teh seat shaved 1". There is a tip, the passenger seat is mounted in the driver side so you can use the recliner, and normal driver side seat goes in the passenger side.

I am 6'3" 265lbs and I can fit with the top on. My car is a 1990 Z51

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/IMG_6189.jpg

Last edited by grantar2; 12-21-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

That's right, we also have the glass top in the car. It adds about 1/2"-1" of head room.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettehardt
That's right, we also have the glass top in the car. It adds about 1/2"-1" of head room.
Makes a big difference. If you want something more substantial there is a guy on the board here that will make you one out of Carbon Fiber. I like having the shoulder belts properly positioned as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Bobzilla
Racer

I didn't relize the glass top gave you that much room. Could I just pull the headliner/gut the top I have to gain that room? Headliner's sagging anyway....

the other problem I have is the original seat has the "lean" going on so the steering wheel is lined up with my left shoulder.... not excactly the best seating postion.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

The lean could either be a broken seat, or some one jacked the car up wrong and bent the floor. My sister's 93 40th has this problem on the passanger side when my dad bought it. I haven't gotten in there to see if we could just pound down the floor more level or not.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

I am not sure if taking out the head liner will help or not. I don't know how much room is up there. If your liner is already falling down, it might be worth a shot at trying. The worst that could happen is you no longer have a headliner.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bobzilla
I didn't relize the glass top gave you that much room. Could I just pull the headliner/gut the top I have to gain that room? Headliner's sagging anyway....

the other problem I have is the original seat has the "lean" going on so the steering wheel is lined up with my left shoulder.... not excactly the best seating postion.
You can pull the liner out of the roof, but the fiberglass is still a lot heavier than the lexan. I picked up a used glass roof with a couple of scratches in it for a little of $400. I have the fiberglass roof when i want the car to show better.

If the seat leans toss it. If you get in accident (on the street) you are already out of alignment to both your airbag and your seat belt.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Bobzilla
Racer

aH.. no airbag to pound me in the face, just the seat belt to snap my neck. lol
Old 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

I use the EVO2 seat with the side mount brackets and I run with the fiberglass top on I have no problem with head room. I'm 6'2" 280lb. You will lose the adjustability which is not a bad thing. Once you get it set for you you have a reason for not letting other people drive your car, they can't reach the pedals
Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While only 5'9" I've got the Corbeau A4's in mine and I run with the glass roof. Based on the narrowness of the cockpit in a C4, found these to be the best fit.

The only issue I've found with the seat is the base is not long enough and my legs don't feel supported. Wish the base was about 4" longer.

lauri
Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Kirkey or Ultrashield for a C4

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Suggestions for my C4

Quick Reply: Seat Suggestions for my C4