Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Pins

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:58 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Hood Pins

I run just HPDE events with my 05. I am replacing the hood and am contemplating not using the hinges and using hood pins. Two on the front corners and two in the rear for a total of four. I have my reasons for doing this, but my main question is if anyone knows of any problem with this when it comes to passing tech inspection.

The way I see it is the current factory hood has four anchor points and so will it with the pins. The biggest hassle I see is at tech, having to remove the hood (or just going to tech with it off).

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

tech doesn't care as long as the hood is secure. I think you'll find it a PITA, unless you have an absolute featherlight carbon hood, but I see no technical reason not to do it. You will have holes in the hood which will be hard to fix if you ever want to sell it later.

Make sure the leading edge is very secure...getting air under the nose can be disastrous, and it's really bad aero.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, I will make sure the front is definately snug. I am using an aftermarket hood, keeping the original equipment in case I ever swap back.
Thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Hood pins are the most cost effective, however, if looks and/or aero are important, check out the Aerocatch hood catch. Cost many times more than hood pins, and more complex.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I just saw those. They look great and are the same ones used on the LG Motorsport cars. I am seriously thinking about them. I will have to fabricate some brackets, which I was going to do anyway with the pins, but I think the extra work might be worth it. They do look sharp.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'd love to have hood pins working in the shop but it'd suck at the track when you got stuck putting the hood back on by yourself
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

[quote=davidfarmer;1576303656]tech doesn't care as long as the hood is secure. I think you'll find it a PITA, unless you have an absolute featherlight carbon hood, but I see no technical reason not to do it. You will have holes in the hood which will be hard to fix if you ever want to sell it later. Make sure the leading edge is very secure...getting air under the nose can be disastrous, and it's really bad aero.[/quote

]For HPDE, some groups may want to see the hood secured after they tech the engine compartment, so you will need help to secure the hood during tech or you will need to bring it back through. Every time you want to open the hood to help disipate engine heat or check fluid levels you will need someone to help you - could be a serious PITA, but around the pits most Corvette guys are more than willing to help . . . it's your car and you can have it any way you want. Good luck, let us see pics of the finished product.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Another thing is after you take the hood off, you have to be careful where you set it. We put the hood in the car at one race because there were some young kids playing around the trailer next to us. They made there way into our trailer and stepped right on the center of the hood. Lucky for the kids they were light and didn't damage the hood, but beware where you set it.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Another thing is after you take the hood off, you have to be careful where you set it. We put the hood in the car at one race because there were some young kids playing around the trailer next to us. They made there way into our trailer and stepped right on the center of the hood. Lucky for the kids they were light and didn't damage the hood, but beware where you set it.
thats a recipe for severe beatings.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone use temporary pins on the back side of the hood to promote air flow and improved cooling? Seems like leaving the original hinges on the stock hood and some pins that could be screwed into a flush mount and only leave holes in the hood when we DD our cars

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Pins

Quick Reply: Hood Pins