Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Lowered more than 1 1/5inch and aggressive alignement ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Lowered more than 1 1/5inch and aggressive alignement ??

Are any of you having your front tires rub into the fender well/hood area due to your aggressive alignment and being lowered more than 1 1/5 inches.
Mine has ZO7 suspension, is 2 inches lowered with 275's up front and with 2.2 negative camber, my front tires touch the fender well under the hood once in a while and are slowly taking a little black off and I am worried it will eventually get in the SMC.
Anyone else have this issue?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleston2012
Are any of you having your front tires rub into the fender well/hood area due to your aggressive alignment and being lowered more than 1 1/5 inches.
Mine has ZO7 suspension, is 2 inches lowered with 275's up front and with 2.2 negative camber, my front tires touch the fender well under the hood once in a while and are slowly taking a little black off and I am worried it will eventually get in the SMC.
Run a spacer.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
Run a spacer.
Where?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Between Wheel and disk
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Between Wheel and disk
That would put the wheel further out, therefore even closer to fender.
My tire is hitting on the inside lip of the fender/hood.
If anything, the tire needs to come in a little. I have standard GM grand sport wheels and offsets.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

You said fender WELL under the HOOD, which is not the fender LIP.

So if it's hitting the fender LIP you may be running the wrong offset wheel or you are lowered too much. Neg camber is fine as it moves the tire away from the fender lip.

I ran original GS rims on my 1996 LT4 Coupe, lowered as much as stock suspension allowed & put some big azz tires on with no clearance problems. Can you post a pic of the car & how much it's lowered?

What is the offset (it's stamped mon the back of the rim if it's GM?

You may need to flare the fenders if you want to go really low.

Last edited by froggy47; 12-30-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

There are limits you know....

We had the same problem only worse running 315's on the front of our BSP car.. You can only lower it so far or you start to hit things. The only thing you can do is use smaller diameter tires up front (not adviseable) or raise the car up a bit.

You can only lower the front until you hit the innner fender liners and you can only lower the back until you run out of travel and hit the bump stops. Our experience was jack it up so that the hitting was occasional in the front and that was about as good as you can do. Putting stiffer springs on the front won't work because it will unbalance the car, to where you need stiffer springs on the back, which causes the back end to jack, so you have to soften the rear bar, which is like chasing your tail.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

You said fender WELL under the HOOD, which is not the fender LIP.

So if it's hitting the fender LIP you may be running the wrong offset wheel.
Sorry about that. I am running factory Grand Sport wheels. Offset is fine.
I am wondering if the alignment with the lowering is causing the clearance to be too tight to the LIP of the hood.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Solofast
There are limits you know....

We had the same problem only worse running 315's on the front of our BSP car.. You can only lower it so far or you start to hit things. The only thing you can do is use smaller diameter tires up front (not adviseable) or raise the car up a bit.

You can only lower the front until you hit the innner fender liners and you can only lower the back until you run out of travel and hit the bump stops. Our experience was jack it up so that the hitting was occasional in the front and that was about as good as you can do. Putting stiffer springs on the front won't work because it will unbalance the car, to where you need stiffer springs on the back, which causes the back end to jack, so you have to soften the rear bar, which is like chasing your tail.
I am thinking about putting one aluminum spacer back in where the urethane wedge is, or realigning it for more of a streetable alignment as AutoCrossing is not going to happen anymore.. I have 5/8" delrin spacers where the original pad eyes were. That was there height also. So, the ZO7 spring must lower the car more than the spring I took out, standard FE1 1993. Mine is a 1989 ZO7 spring, 115Nm's.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Sorry about that. I am running factory Grand Sport wheels. Offset is fine.
I am wondering if the alignment with the lowering is causing the clearance to be too tight to the LIP of the hood.

I don't think alignment is the issue, you are too low for the amount the suspension wants to move.

You need to raise up or stiffen the hell out of the suspension so it doesn't move much. I'd go with the former & not the latter.

Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

You need to raise up or stiffen the hell out of the suspension so it doesn't move much. I'd go with the former & not the latter.
That's the problem froggy, if he stiffens the front spring it will push like a pig. If he stiffens the front spring and then stiffens the rear to match the front, it will jack in the back like an old VW. There are limits you know....

What doesn't quite make sense is that the front end is rubbing with the stock height pads under the spring. That shouldn't be happening. Does the car have the factory shims under the front spring rubber mounts where it mounts to the chassis? Usually there were two of these under each front spring mount and that will give you about a half an inch more ride height. If you were putting in the springs and wanted the car low, you probably didn't put these in, so that may be part of it.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

That's the problem froggy, if he stiffens the front spring it will push like a pig. If he stiffens the front spring and then stiffens the rear to match the front, it will jack in the back like an old VW. There are limits you know....

What doesn't quite make sense is that the front end is rubbing with the stock height pads under the spring. That shouldn't be happening. Does the car have the factory shims under the front spring rubber mounts where it mounts to the chassis? Usually there were two of these under each front spring mount and that will give you about a half an inch more ride height. If you were putting in the springs and wanted the car low, you probably didn't put these in, so that may be part of it.
Mine has both of the shims out. I only have the wedges, and the two delrin pad eyes on the end.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Mine has both of the shims out. I only have the wedges, and the two delrin pad eyes on the end.
Put in a couple of shims and see where you are. Sould be good enough to slow down the rubbing.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Put in a couple of shims and see where you are. Sould be good enough to slow down the rubbing.
Will do. its been so long since its been lowered and driven, would you know approximately how much each shim raises the vehicle. They are only a 1/4inch thick.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

If the center of the spring isn't touching the chassis, then they are one for one. That is, 1/2 inch of spacers will give you 1/2 inch of ride height. If the spring is touching the chassis then you get more, so it depends on where it is now.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

If the center of the spring isn't touching the chassis, then they are one for one. That is, 1/2 inch of spacers will give you 1/2 inch of ride height. If the spring is touching the chassis then you get more, so it depends on where it is now.
The spring did move off of the chassis when it was loaded and I did the final torque, so I may add two then, I can always cut the delrins down on the ends to get it to where it is okay, but not too low.
Thanks again,
Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

This isnt my Vette, but this is exactly what mine is doing.

25.5 inch ride height needs to be raised a scosh.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Lowered more than 1 1/5inch and aggressive alignement ??

Quick Reply: C4 Lowered more than 1 1/5inch and aggressive alignement ??