Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you really win a NASA season championship

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can you really win a NASA season championship

without beating anyone all season long?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously you can and very proud of it!! Otherwise why would you post all about it on the forum....
Old 12-31-2010, 02:00 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamingZ06
Can you really win a NASA season championship without beating anyone all season long?
Didn't ZO6cool do that this year?

I kid...
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

just like NASCAR
Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
just like NASCAR
I think that happened in the Bush series ten -fifteen years ago .
Nothing like it lately though
Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by FlamingZ06
without beating anyone all season long?
Yes sir
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you can win SCCA Regional Championships the same way, no?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:17 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

NorCal ST2 regional ranking was based purely on attendance this year. IMO, there are too many race classes and not enough cars in each class. The NASA events are packed with cars and overall attendance is peak capacity. Even so, some classes have only 1 or 2 cars. I don't see how those classes can grow when the track is already packed with cars from other classes. Why do they need the AI classes when there are ST classes? Why the camaro/mustang class when they can probably run competitively in PT or something? Not to mention all the GTS classes. I just started running with NASA so I don't have the answers, but this is my first impression is as a newbie.

However, it's not just NASA. I think most season "championships" are largely influenced by who makes the most events. It would be more complicated, but to me it would make sense to vary the points awarded for winning based on the number of cars that started the race. For example, if there is only 1 car in the class then he would get 20 points for finishing the race. Maybe 40 points with 2 cars, 60 for 3, 80 for 4, up to 100 points for 5 or more cars. That way, a faster driver would still have a chance to win a seasonal championship even if he couldn't make all the events. The points for 2nd, 3rd, etc. would also have to be on a sliding scale. But I'm sure some computer programmer could pretty easily take care of it.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:24 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
However, it's not just NASA. I think most season "championships" are largely influenced by who makes the most events. It would be more complicated, but to me it would make sense to vary the points awarded for winning based on the number of cars that started the race. For example, if there is only 1 car in the class then he would get 20 points for finishing the race. Maybe 40 points with 2 cars, 60 for 3, 80 for 4, up to 100 points for 5 or more cars. That way, a faster driver would still have a chance to win a seasonal championship even if he couldn't make all the events. The points for 2nd, 3rd, etc. would also have to be on a sliding scale. But I'm sure some computer programmer could pretty easily take care of it.

A regional club that I run with does something very similar. The winner gets points equal to however many cars were in the class. If they are the only one running, then 1 point. If there are seven cars in the class for that day, then the winner gets 7 points. The last place car gets 1 point for just being there and running. It keeps the season tally pretty close.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

NorCal ST2 regional ranking was based purely on attendance this year. IMO, there are too many race classes and not enough cars in each class. The NASA events are packed with cars and overall attendance is peak capacity. Even so, some classes have only 1 or 2 cars. I don't see how those classes can grow when the track is already packed with cars from other classes. Why do they need the AI classes when there are ST classes? Why the camaro/mustang class when they can probably run competitively in PT or something? Not to mention all the GTS classes. I just started running with NASA so I don't have the answers, but this is my first impression is as a newbie.

the system is set up that way to make as many people happy as possible so the sport does not die. People just hate to lose Welcome to politics
Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't forget the commitment needed to be at the events.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eogel
Don't forget the commitment needed to be at the events.
Sounds like the old public school grading system: A for Effort, F for Results. ;-)
Old 12-31-2010, 04:26 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

SCCA has a program like that in thier "Super Sweeps." Your best 7 races count, regardless of division, and you get bonus points for the number of cars you finished behind you (max 10 bonus points per race).

SCCA Nationals have too many classes (29 I think), and Regional classes are even more. So it is not just NASA. I too think there can be some consolidation: STO & GT2 in SCCA; AIX & ST1 in NASA (maybe). PT & ST.

I am racing a Spec Miata this year so I can work on my driving. My first race (Sebring) will have more cars in SM (51) than I raced against in all on 2010 in STO. Think about that.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I like the way NASA does it. They allow so many drops per season.
If you choose not to show up it's your fault.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
I am racing a Spec Miata this year so I can work on my driving. My first race (Sebring) will have more cars in SM (51) than I raced against in all on 2010 in STO. Think about that.
Cool, good for you . Keep us posted, I'm curious how you will like it and how you will do in that class.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
just like NASCAR
I'm sure it's possible to win a championship without winning a race, but that's not the scenario. "without beating anyone" would mean finishing dead last in every race.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Cool, good for you . Keep us posted, I'm curious how you will like it and how you will do in that class.
As I have told others, it's going to be a challenge. But it is an exercise in driving skill developement. The seat time HAS to make me better.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you really win a NASA season championship

Old 01-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I like the way NASA does it. They allow so many drops per season.
If you choose not to show up it's your fault.
That depends on the region class(series) director's decision, doesn't it?

Last edited by Falcon; 01-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcon
That depends on the region class(series) director's decision, doesn't it?
yep.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just about every series is like this. Grand Am, Conti challenge, WC, whatever. The only difference is that they have more consistant entries each race, whereas NASA or SCCA has a wide variety as few of us can really attend every event.

Quick Reply: Can you really win a NASA season championship