Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS TV Sched Released (No SpeedTV)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default ALMS TV Sched Released (No SpeedTV)

Best part of the POS TV schedule is that...wait there is no best part to this TV schedule

If you want to watch the race live, better figure out a way to hook up your PC to your TV

Hope that SpeedTV will at least get the 24hours of Le Mans

http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|15452

In a U.S. motorsports first, all ALMS races will be carried ‘live’ in their entirety and fully produced on ESPN3.com with ESPN2 and ABC providing televised coverage on a delayed basis. ESPN3.com – ESPN’s signature broadband sports network – will deliver nearly 60 hours of live coverage including 60-minute qualifying shows from each event along with pre- and post-race content. The ESPN3.com coverage can also be seen worldwide on a variety of ESPN’s global Web-based platforms. The network is currently available in more than 65 million households nationwide in the U.S. at no additional cost to users who receive their Internet connection of cable TV video subscription from an affiliated provider. Customers of an affiliated service provider will also be able to watch the Series live via an ESPN3.com pop-off player on americanlemans.com and Xbox LIVE Gold

The 2011 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrķn will open at the 59th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida on Saturday, March 19. Visit the American Le Mans Series’ online schedule for information on tickets and area accommodations.

American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrķn Schedule
(All TV times Eastern)

Sebring Friday, March 18 ESPN3.com Live Qualifying
Saturday, March 19 ESPN3.com 10:15 a.m.-11 p.m.
Sunday, March 20 ABC 12:30-2 p.m.

Last edited by 69; 01-03-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added text
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

OK, so I don't get ESPN3??? So I guess I can't watch ANY ALMS races live this year.

I don't see a way to watch it on the website??
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

OK scratch that, it appears my ISP (Windstream) supports ESPN3, and I can stream it through my house using Playon Media Server. Might work out after all, although I sucks I can't DVR it!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This sucks. It seems to be a huge step backwards, and has the feel of sportscar racing before ESPN, when you had to get race results from the racing group on CompuServe.

Big thumbsdown. I have NO desire to stare at a computer for 12 hours to watch Sebring.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guy's if your laptop or desktop and your TV supports HDMI or PC input, you can plug the computer into the TV, no big deal (assuming you have broadband). My guess is they will be available after the race as well stored on the net. My only complaint if the schedule Long Beach ALMS race is the same time as the Scheduled Indy Car race.

Now if your technically challenged or your computer / TV gear is obsolete, your screwed.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn this sucks to hear

the rest will all be the tele drama type races
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

That sucks. I MUCH prefer to DVR the race and then skim through it.

-Kevin
Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

Originally Posted by dvandentop

the rest will all be the tele drama type races
That is what I'm afraid of.

Hopefully they will be available for viewing after the race is over.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Well, I'm glad I'll be at Sebring. Maybe the their wifi will be much improved this year and we'll be able to get ESPN3 on the laptop. Luckily brighthouse just started carrying ESPN3. Won't miss SPEED's crappy coverage, but was great for the Enduro races.

Well, I guess we'll see a lot less Direct TV dishes this year. LOL

Last edited by shakedown067; 01-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grantar2
Guy's if your laptop or desktop and your TV supports HDMI or PC input, you can plug the computer into the TV, no big deal (assuming you have broadband). My guess is they will be available after the race as well stored on the net. My only complaint if the schedule Long Beach ALMS race is the same time as the Scheduled Indy Car race.

Now if your technically challenged or your computer / TV gear is obsolete, your screwed.
trouble is as I read it, you have to have the correct ISP provider to get ESPN3....it isn't automatic or free. I need to try it out and see if it works, but it seems possible with my setup. I use a media server call PlayOn which lets me stream local video/music, Pandora,Hulu, Netflix etc directly to my DirecTV boxes/PS3 etc. Works well for that stuff....haven't used ESPN3 before but it is supposed to work.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to wait and see. My old notebook has an S video out that plugs into the front ports of my TV so I stream movies and stuff through it all the time. My problem is a slow connection so HD live stuff seldom works for me.

I just clicked on the watch now at ESPN3 and the quality was so poor you couldn't read the stats or anything for the soccer game they are playing.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the end of ALMS. NO true race fan wants to watch 2 hours of highlights and no non-race fan wants to watch 2 hours of race highlights.

I think ALMS just nailed their own coffin. I give this format 2 years and ALMS is gone.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^I agree with you.
ALMS needs to do themselves a favor and hire someone who can market their product.
I have a neighbor that is a top 5 NASCAR driver, and when we talk about road racing (which he loves, btw) he just shakes his head at the marketing effort.
You would have to spend some $$$ initially to "introduce" the general public to the series, one team at a time, and GT cars would be the initial marketing focus. People can relate to cars they can drive, and see everyday on the street, but a lot of car enthusiasts don't even know about ALMS.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree, ALMS is dead, writing was on the wall several months ago.

However, for what it's worth, I can stream ESPN3 to my iPhone using Playon media server..... currently watching some basketball game that I could care less about, there are 6 games currently showing!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

very sad to see for sure, sounds like i better make it to one of the races this season before the whole series is dead and gone.

are the green tree huggers winning a war here they had a good following i dont know why ALMS is wanting to **** that down their leg especially after how the ALMS CEO was all pumping the series at the end of the petit le mans race.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I watch every hour of televised coverage - on a treadmilll - 45 minutes a day over many days. The LeMan 24 is good for like a month of running. If I can't DVR it then it doesn't exist.

Although I do admit that I skip past the interviews with that annoying lady from the EPA and all the Green Challenge nonsense. If you really want to try and improve fuel economy set a limit on how much fuel you can have just like tires.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 01-04-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you had an xbox you can also watch it through that.

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS TV Sched Released (No SpeedTV)

Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watch a lot of college football on espn3 with no problems.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys' I don't agree with all your doom and gloom for the series. This is a multi-year deal with ABC / ESPN. If there is a following more of the races will move from ESPN 3 to ESPN and to ABC. ESPN has traditionally been on the front end of growth in niche sports. My guess is they are here too.

Really was coverage that good last year (Not), but best coverage was the online coverage.

I think the series is doing the right thing. More over on the green challenge stuff it links to what the manufactures are trying to present on the consumer sales side. It also seeks to hold off regulation.

It will be interesting to come back to this thread this time next year.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

NASCAR is so successful because they race REAL CARS. Cars just like the ones you can go buy at the showroom on Monday after the race. ALMS has all those crazy prototypes, and in the other classes, who wants to buy a Porsche, Ferrarri, or Corvette? They need to start racing cars most people can afford like Chargers and Fusions.

In all seriousness, though, this stinks. I'm in the "DVR it and watch every second later" camp. I'm still watching Petit Lemans from October, even though I know the outcome I like to see the whole race. I'm curious about this Xbox live thing, I already watch Netflix via my Xbox, perhaps this is similar. I'll have to try and let you gents know how it goes.

Quick Reply: ALMS TV Sched Released (No SpeedTV)