Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Mods...What You Think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Weight Mods...What You Think?

I had some ideas to remove some weight from the car and gain some hp up top. since my car has become less of a dd I was think of dropping some weight from it to see if I would get any real gains from it. First I was thinking of going with 23.5in long 3" dynomax bullet mufflers straight from the header collector with turndowns. This would mean zero backpressure from the exhaust and some free ponies up top in the power band but it would also mean a delete of the big 3" xpipe, the over axle muffler pipping and mufflers. The Hooker mufflers I have are at least 30-40lbs each. The mufflers plus all the pipping I figure should mean 80-100lbs. Also my ac comp went out a while ago, I have to remove it any way to reapir or replace it so why not just keep it off for now? Its been really cold and I went without it this past summer anyway plus its what, 30-40lbs? Im also looking at some Sparco and Hunsaker racing seats that should be lighter than the stockers. So, what do you guys think? I drag race and track the car but Ive been setting it more for HPDE and autocrossing. Also lets jsut say that loudness and no ac are not an issue for me already. That car is high compression with a big cam so Im use to noise. So would I be able to notice 150-200lbs off the car and the more free flowing exhaust? Btw, I shouldnt see any real "torque loss" down low with the new exhaust. The length of the headers (32in primary) should provide the necessary exhaust scavenging effect and no back pressure is always good. Also I weighed the car in at 3220lbs as is.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

any weight removal is usually a good thing, BUT the AC compressor doesn't weigh very much, and removing the exhaust from rear will actually hurt your balance. I think you'll see some gain, maybe not as much as if you could remove all of that weight up front.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

David is right, front end weight is more important than rear end weight, but, if you drop weight you will see an acceleration gain all the way down the straight, and that counts for a lot. I'd look at getting a Z06 titanium exhaust. They flow well, are reasonably quiet on the street and weigh a lot less than what you have on the car. There are enough of them still around and you can get them for a reasonable price. Since they are from the cat back, the weight comes out from the entire exhaust system (although there is more gain in the back of the car).

The short pipes and turndowns can cause problems with heat on the rear springs. You need to be careful that you don't get the rear springs hot or they will fail.

Remember you have that big glass hatch, which gives you more rear end weight anyway, so taking some weight out of the back won't hurt you as much. That's the way I'd go if I were in your shoes.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Solofast
David is right, front end weight is more important than rear end weight, but, if you drop weight you will see an acceleration gain all the way down the straight, and that counts for a lot. I'd look at getting a Z06 titanium exhaust. They flow well, are reasonably quiet on the street and weigh a lot less than what you have on the car. There are enough of them still around and you can get them for a reasonable price. Since they are from the cat back, the weight comes out from the entire exhaust system (although there is more gain in the back of the car).

The short pipes and turndowns can cause problems with heat on the rear springs. You need to be careful that you don't get the rear springs hot or they will fail.

Remember you have that big glass hatch, which gives you more rear end weight anyway, so taking some weight out of the back won't hurt you as much. That's the way I'd go if I were in your shoes.
Yeah I got some really good pipe insulation from work thats good for up tp 1500*F and I will have turn downs to point the exhaust to the ground. They end of the mufflers should be right under the center console area by the seats. I was hoping around 100lbs wouldnt upset the balance too much since yeah the hatch is heavy. Thanks for input guys.

Im wondering too to remove the condenser since i wont have ac. I know its not too heavy but will I see better air flow or better cooling across the radiator?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Im wondering too to remove the condenser since i wont have ac. I know its not too heavy but will I see better air flow or better cooling across the radiator?
yes, especially with a stock rad that's marginal
Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Ending the exhaust under the car like that is a prescription for gassing yourself out on the highway. In a race car it isn't a big deal because the windows are always open. In a street car it can be dangerous because you can and will keep the windows closed a lot more.

Insulation is worthless unless you have a way of removing the heat from the spring. Just because you have insulated it, doesn't mean it won't get hot, it just means that it won't get hot fast. There isn't as much air under these cars as there was in times past, so you have the potential to have a lot of exhaust gas under the car.

In many states exhaust pipes under the car like that are illegal as well as dangerous. I'd make sure you have an exhaust to the rear of the car, or pipe it out to the sides ahead of the rear wheels and keep it out from under the car. With a Z06 Ti system only costing around $300, what's the problem?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Ending the exhaust under the car like that is a prescription for gassing yourself out on the highway. In a race car it isn't a big deal because the windows are always open. In a street car it can be dangerous because you can and will keep the windows closed a lot more.

Insulation is worthless unless you have a way of removing the heat from the spring. Just because you have insulated it, doesn't mean it won't get hot, it just means that it won't get hot fast. There isn't as much air under these cars as there was in times past, so you have the potential to have a lot of exhaust gas under the car.

In many states exhaust pipes under the car like that are illegal as well as dangerous. I'd make sure you have an exhaust to the rear of the car, or pipe it out to the sides ahead of the rear wheels and keep it out from under the car. With a Z06 Ti system only costing around $300, what's the problem?
If i were idle in a garage I would understand and what spring is it that will get hot? The only spring is the one supporting the xpipe which I wont be using. Also Im keeping my exhaust setup to reinstal if and as needed. This setup will mostly track time.

Last edited by C5Natie; 01-05-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

what spring is it that will get hot?
Pretty sure he is referring to the transverse leaf spring. I've seen pics of these things splintered b/c of turndowns blowing right on them. Something to consider I guess.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

oh i see. well the turndowns wont be near them. they will be in the tunnel right around the shifter to center console area.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Terminating your exhaust as you proposed may permanently put you to sleep. Install a lighter rear exhaust section as mentioned above.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

and you may not know it is happening.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

You guys do know that as you drive air does flow under the car dont you? I drove my GTA Firebird with a similar setup for years.....maybe Im still asleep. lol. Did I post that I was running a garden hose from the muffler to the cabin somewhere?

Last edited by C5Natie; 01-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Btw guys, part of my weight mods will NOT include making holes in the floor, permiting exhaust gases to come into the cabin.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Btw guys, part of my weight mods will NOT include making holes in the floor, permiting exhaust gases to come into the cabin.
Plenty of people have died without drilling holes in their floor or a garden hose. Ever see a car float like a boat in water? If not I would guess hot rising gasses can penetrate the vehicle cockpit area. You do know that cars are not always moving forward with air passing underneath don't you?

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after enough inhalation of carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas, but, being colorless, odorless, tasteless, and non-irritating, it is very difficult for people to detect.

I drove my GTA Firebird with a similar setup for years.....maybe Im still asleep.
If you ran it before it should be just dandy then.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-06-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

John has explained it well, as have others, that what you are proposing is not only stupid, but it is dangerous. The amount of air moving under these cars is nowhere near as great as it is in many other cars, and as we all know these cars are not sealed well at all.

Exhaust leaking up through the tunnel, around the shifter and from areas around the wheel wells is a dangerous thing. In a race car with open windows, on the track, you could get away with it, but on a rainy day with the windows shut and stuck in traffic it is a potential death trap.

With modern emission control and converters, you won't smell a thing before you pass out. Not sure, but I was thinking that even the SCCA would not allow exhausts under the car ahead of the rear axle. If they come out the side it is ok, but doing what you are talking about is, as noted above, illegal in many states for this very reason.

I have a hard time understanding why you seem to be stuck on doing something that is so stupid and dangerous.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Plus cutting weight as low as an exhaust system is less beneficial as cutting weight from a windshield or something with a higher CG.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've had an exhaust LEAK in the tunnel under the shifter that about gassed me out of my car on track.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Plus cutting weight as low as an exhaust system is less beneficial as cutting weight from a windshield or something with a higher CG.
yep

with these cars, concentrating from the windshield forward is key. they are already nose heavy. LT's would be near the top of the list, center piping and mufflers would be last. I have 66 lbs of ballast just a few inches above the H pipe. The H pipe is as low on the car as you can get, and closest to the center of gravity. That's right where you want it.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Well it might be in my head but seems like without the ac compressor and tensioner setup the motor spins up a bit quicker. I can feel it rev up a bit faster even if I barely give it some throttle. I could see how the compressor pulley with a tensioner as well could create some drag. Also without the condenser the car has been running about 20+*F cooler. Before when the coolant temp was usually about 185-195. Without the cond its been no higher than 171-174, even when I would get on it. stopped for 10min at the store, started it back up, coolant was 185 and within 3min of street driving it was down to 171 again. This is great for me because that should mean lower cc temps= less/no detonation or retarded timing especially since Im high compression. Btw I run distilled water with 2 bottles of water wetter. Seems to be working great for me.

To address the exhast issue, I decised to run the xpipe with 20" dynomax ultra flos at the end with turndowns so it should terminate right before the trans cradle but point down so it wont heat up the leaf spring. Also the mufflers will be wrapped with header wrap to help insulate against radiant heat.

Get notified of new replies

To Weight Mods...What You Think?

Quick Reply: Weight Mods...What You Think?