Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another brake question

Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another brake question

I am planning to purchase the the hardbar AP front brake kit for my C6 Z06. Leaving my rears stock. Can I put my front stock caliper and rotor on the rear?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Off the top of my head, you will have a problem with the parking brake components to use the stock front rotors on the rear.

Maybe a quick search to see if it's been done already and how??
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
I am planning to purchase the the hardbar AP front brake kit for my C6 Z06. Leaving my rears stock. Can I put my front stock caliper and rotor on the rear?
you will have no ebrake and the piston volume is probably to big for the rear for the master you now have. Some have done it and like it and some do not. Personally I would leave stock rears and down the road get Hardbar's for the rear also.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

you will have no ebrake and the piston volume is probably to big for the rear for the master you now have. Some have done it and like it and some do not. Personally I would leave stock rears and down the road get Hardbar's for the rear also.
Agreed. I'd recommend leaving the rear alone. Moving the front calipers to the rear will have too much piston volume, shifting too much bias rearward. You won't be using all of your tires effectively for braking, and the car will be destabilized. Additionally, you'll be adding unnecessary weight.

We (Essex, the AP Racing importer) are working with Hardbar on a rear solution that will mate up with the Hardbar front kit. The pistons will be sized specifically to mate up properly with the fronts. If you're going to only use the front solution, I'd recommend leaving the rear alone. The rear discs are large on the C6Z, and I don't anticipate any major heat issues out back.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

Thanks...
What are your thoughts on going to a smaller rotor for a C6z as Gary kit suggests
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Your mailbox is full and won't accept new messages. You need to go in and delete some to create space. I sent you an email.

Last edited by rikhek; 01-17-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

thanks - cleared them
Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
Thanks...
What are your thoughts on going to a smaller rotor for a C6z as Gary kit suggests
I too am considering the AP T1 calipers, but want I a bigger rotor. I'm not a hardcore racer, just a casual HPDE guy that likes great performance.

I'd like to stick with a quality 14" setup, instead of 12.8. I'm sure that 12.8" T1 rotor is a stout piece though, Gary doesn't do anything half-*** it seems!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Thanks...
I usually tell people the same thing...any disc larger than what is required for your thermal needs is dead unsprung weight. A smaller disc that is optimized for airflow, and has superior design and metallurgy will be more efficient than a larger disc of a lesser design. I can't tell you definitively a smaller disc will be better for your exact application because I don't know all of the factors involved. Different cars, tracks, tires, and drivers. There are some people who have gone to the smaller disc on the C6Z and it is working great for them.

That said, Gary is offering a bracket that allows this caliper to be run on a heavy duty 355mm AP Racing disc. So you do have options.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

I'd like to stick with a quality 14" setup, instead of 12.8. I'm sure that 12.8" T1 rotor is a stout piece though, Gary doesn't do anything half-*** it seems!
The 14" AP racing disc Gary is selling is the same AP Racing piece being used in GT Racing around the world. I am 100% positive it is the disc being used in Grand Am. Come to think of it, I believe it's the exact same disc Pratt & Miller are using on the C6R in ALMS this year. I'll check on that.

The 325mm x 32mm T1 disc is definitely not a half-*ss piece of equipment either. We've had many race wins across multiple platforms with these discs. They are top quality. You are not going to find a part with an AP Racing badge on it that is half-*ss...period.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 01-17-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added disc dimension
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

I checked on the P&M C6R's...they're running 15" discs front, and a different rear. In addition to some of the GT cars, the 14" discs Gary is selling are also run by some of the Daytona Prototypes in Grand Am, and some World Challenge cars.

Get notified of new replies

To another brake question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another brake question