Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

race parts. made in china vs USA

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default race parts. made in china vs USA

Would you be concerned with the workmanship and safety of a race part that's made in China considering the past history of products that have been imported into the USA? Also, would you care if you didn't know where the part is made? Do you think that just because the part is made in the USA it has to be better.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try hard to avoid buying anything made in China. Complete lack of overall quality control. Might be some decent products from China but I do not want to do the testing to find out. At work we have had issues with counterfit hardware that did not meet spec and they came out of China.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Two things really bug the hell out of me on this subject.

1. If it says Made in the USA, it should be made in the USA. Not assembled, not re-boxed, not shipped to. But actually made in the USA. Legal wise it's ok to slap a stick on just about any product. The unknown sucks to deal with.

2. No comment I would rather keep these feelings to myself.

Yes I would be concerned
Yes I would like to know where it came from, so I can make up my mind either A use it or B not use it.
Yes I think some things built in the USA are junk.

Randy
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Some guy making $3.00 a day and has on idea what he is making.
You get what you pay for.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Factory worker in China is no more stupid or clumsy than factory worker in Texas.

If you want good quality, you pay for quality control of the products you import, but wait! your expenses go up, all of a sudden you are not competetive with those who bypass reinvestment into QC and make up by clever advertising and marketing

Thank God that's not regulated by laws or import regulations, that would be ugh.. communist?- can't have that!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am actually working in china now hanging out in shenzhen for a few weeks.... While most of the innovation happens in the us most mfg happens here in china this is due mostly due to cost savings to mfg a product here. Now most companies try to often cut total cost as much as possible and there is where quality suffers. china can make good products if company pays for it. I do wish more were made in USA but that is not the way it is for now. We just have to buy from good USA / European based companies who have not let quality suffer due to cost savings.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Two things really bug the hell out of me on this subject.

1. If it says Made in the USA, it should be made in the USA. Not assembled, not re-boxed, not shipped to. But actually made in the USA. Legal wise it's ok to slap a stick on just about any product. The unknown sucks to deal with.

2. No comment I would rather keep these feelings to myself.

Yes I would be concerned
Yes I would like to know where it came from, so I can make up my mind either A use it or B not use it.
Yes I think some things built in the USA are junk.

Randy
that about sums up all my feelings on this matter. Mike
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 3 Senators Unveil China Currency Bill

3 Senators Unveil China Currency Bill
Jan. 18, 2011 7:02 a.m.
WASHINGTON -- Lawmakers say a new bill aimed at taking China to task for manipulating its currency, the renminbi, and damaging U.S. producers should have enough bipartisan support to clear both houses of Congress.

Last year, a bill sponsored by U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan, D-17 Ohio, addressed Chinese currency manipulation and passed the House by a huge margin, 348-79, only to die in the Senate.

"We can't afford to keep losing jobs and wealth because China manipulates its currency," U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., told reporters during a conference call Monday.

Democratic Sens. Schumer, Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, and Bob Casey of Pennsylvania announced they will introduce a bill that would impose tough penalties on countries found to have undervalued their currency to the point where it harms U.S. trade.

These penalties include tariffs on products they export to this country and banning companies based in these countries from receiving U.S. government contracts.

"For many middle-class families, the American Dream is in peril," Schumer declared.

The senator explained that China undervalues the renminbi, also known as the yuan, by as much as 40%, which in turn lowers the price of goods that it sells in this country. Lawmakers have said that this practice undercuts U.S. producers and has forced some out of business, to downsize, or to ship jobs overseas.

"This legislation sends a message to China that says we are fed up with your government's intransigence over currency manipulation," Schumer said. "If you refuse to play by the rules, we will force you to do so."

The introduction of the Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Reform Act of 2011 comes as the White House prepared for the visit of Chinese President Hu Jintao.

Schumer said the bill is likely to gain strong bipartisan support since it combines elements of a bill that cleared the Senate finance committee in 2007. That bill was co-sponsored by Schumer and Sen. Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., and another measure advanced by Sens. Stabenow, Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, and Olympia Snow, R-Maine.

"We think we have a majority of support in this session and that it will pass in the Senate and the House," he said.

Schumer added that the message resonates even with new members of Congress supported by the Tea Party. "The Tea Party is not out of sync," with the legislation's provisions, the senior senator from New York said.

More sponsors are likely to add their names, Stabenow said, and the bill is getting the backing of manufacturers, too. She related the story of an auto supplier who lost a contract to a Chinese company that submitted a bid 8% lower than the U.S. firm. The company gave China's manipulation of its currency as the reason.

"They are abusing the rules year after year," she said.

Between 2008 and 2010, Casey said, 2.4 million American jobs were lost as a result of the trade imbalance with China. "It's good policy," he said of the bill. "And, in the midst of a recovery, people want us to act now."

Last week Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said that inflation in China has helped boost the value of the renminbi, hinting that legislation aimed at tackling the currency issue could be a nonstarter.

But Schumer said lawmakers have tried to address this problem for six years. "We don't want to leave it to the vicissitudes of inflation," he said. "We need laws."

Copyright 2010 The Business journal, Youngstown, Ohio

And we sit and wonder why we go down the tubes in this country.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Default Flipping off America

China’s currency manipulation: Flipping off America
By Leo W. Gerard - 09/16/10 10:19 AM ET

China is disrespecting America.

The Asian giant is an international trade outlaw, and U.S. manufacturers and workers are its crime victims.

China illegally subsidizes its export industries and unlawfully manipulates its currency. That kills U.S. industry and destroys U.S. jobs. Earlier this year, the Obama administration asked China nicely to allow its currency value to float up naturally on international markets. On June 19, China said it would.

And then it didn’t.

That’s flipping the bird at America.

Before China’s June 19 promise, bipartisan groups of lawmakers in the U.S. House and Senate proposed legislation that would force the U.S. Treasury Department to even the score and to call China out for what it is: a currency manipulator. Hearings on the bills are being conducted this week.

Pass the legislation. It’s time for America to flip the bird back.

Negotiation and threats have failed to produce a sustained, substantial currency float by China. Now, the Chinese currency, the renminbi, is undervalued by as much as 40 percent, a figure accepted by conservatives like C. Fred Bergsten of the Peterson Institute for International Economics. Even the International Monetary Fund managing director said the currency is undervalued.

China simply denied it. In March, the Chinese premier, Wen Jiabao, said he did not believe the renminbi was undervalued. That’s flipping off the world.

It works like this: China prints renminbi to buy billions of U.S. dollars, which makes them appear more desired and valuable, and the renminbi, by contrast, less valuable. That undervaluation of the renminbi acts as a subsidy for Chinese exports, artificially making them as much as 40 percent cheaper when sold in the U.S. Conversely, it acts as a tax of as much as 40 percent on American-made goods sold in China.

This dynamic contributed significantly to the rise of manufacturing in China. Earlier this year, China surged past Japan to become the world’s second-largest economy. And it contributes significantly to America’s massive trade deficit. The gap in July was $42.8 billion, more than half of which -- $25.9 billion -- was a result of trade with one country – China.

China’s rapid economic growth has ended poverty for millions of its workers. Here in the United States, however, China’s flouting of international trade law is destroying the lives of millions of workers. The Economic Policy Institute estimates that 2.4 million American jobs have been lost or displaced since 2001 as a result of the trade deficit with China. American workers celebrate their Chinese counterparts’ improved quality of life, but they condemn the government of China for accomplishing that with beggar-thy-neighbor trade practices.

Earlier this year, it briefly looked like threats would prompt China to act. In March, a bipartisan coalition of U.S. Senators introduced legislation specifying the factors necessary to label a country as a currency manipulator and detailing American reprisals. And in April, the Treasury Department delayed its report identifying countries that manipulate currency rates, suggesting that it was ready to take on China.

China appeared to respond to that pressure in June. It announced it would allow the renminbi to float toward its real value on the open market. The Treasury Department backed off, omitting China from its list of currency manipulators in July.

China then permitted the value of the renminbi to rise less than one percent. One percent. When it’s as much as 40 percent undervalued. That’s flipping the bird at America. Big time.

Still, America didn’t react.

On Aug. 25, the Commerce Department announced 14 new measures to crack down on trade violations such as ending certain exemptions from duties.

It did not, however, mention currency manipulation.

Dan DiMicco, CEO at Nucor Corp., the largest U.S. steelmaker, said the 14 measures are important, but the problem with China won’t be resolved until the United States takes on currency undervaluation. Here’s what he said:

“As long as we continue to let them get away with it, they’ll keep doing it.”

Six days later, in a trade case filed by the U.S. Aluminum Extrusions Fair Trade Committee, a coalition of domestic manufacturers of aluminum extrusions and the USW, the Commerce Department again squirmed out of dealing with currency manipulation.

You cheap rims, coil-overs, brakes and other crap are there in China.

Commerce imposed import duties on Chinese aluminum companies because China unfairly subsidized $514 million in aluminum exports to the U.S. in 2009. But Commerce refused to investigate the Fair Trade Committee’s evidence that China’s currency manipulation functions as an additional illegal export subsidy.

Your jobs are in China but for most it doesn't matter till it is their job sadly.

Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, a sponsor of currency manipulation legislation, said afterward:

“The Commerce Department made its finding while still managing to ignore the elephant in the room, which is China’s currency manipulation.”

Commerce and Treasury have decided the proper response to China flipping off America is averting their eyes. See no evil.

Yesterday Japan followed China’s lead. It bought dollars and sold yen, decreasing the value of yen and increasing the value of dollars. This, the New York Times explained, was “a bid to protect its export-led economy.” That’s exactly what China is doing.

It’s a very public show of contempt for international regulations and for American citizens.

Normally, Americans don’t respond passively to contempt. Be normal, America.

Gerard is International President of the United Steelworkers (USW)
Source:
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...g-off-america-
The contents of this site are © 2011 Capitol Hill Publishing Corp., a subsidiary of News Communications, Inc.
Comments (12)

Strange how I can't buy a Cuban cigar from Communist Cuba but I can buy all the crap from Communist China isn't it?

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-18-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by quickc6
Some guy making $3.00 a day and has on idea what he is making.
You get what you pay for.
Some guys making $40 an hour have no idea what they are doing
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

To answer the question on quality would you like to go diving with a Chinese regulator? Would you like to go mountain climbing with Chinese rope and gear?

If all here selling Chinese crap were so proud of their product I guess they would not be ducking and dodging when ask where did it come from and then respond with something like T
he UPS truck.
Better answer would be God made it as the materials came from the earth.

Every product should have on it where it is made period then you can make an informed choice. As things are now a combination of countries or assembled here it should state that also and not in like this size on the bottom of the box.

Slap a sticker on it and it will all be fine so we can bluff the public. Funny I saw TV from Westinghouse for sale. It is just the use of and American name to serve the blind.

If we buy anything here or from a fruit stand we should look to where it is made then make the choice you want. Who wants to feel so stupid as to be bluffed by misleading advertising like assembled in the USA here like a shovel I saw. Great they put one F'in screw in it and that was probably because they were cheaper to stack and ship.

Yea GM puts **** from Communist China on the car and that sucks too. They were planning to send cars from Communist China here too but after US taxpayers saving them they reconsidered.

Who do you think we will confront front in the future as a world power? Does life mean anything to them? Not really they can drop 100,000 troops in a blink of an eye.

Who pays for R&D then only to have China come steal it and copy it? Even worse who sends them the technology to build stuff so they can flip off the US company and build it themselves when the contract runs out?

Funny we deal with people enslaved in Communist China but Cuba is the bogyman. All the trade was supposed to open up Communist China but they have no trouble cracking down on a person hidden on the internet we free thoughts all while they can't find thousands of factories in Communist China stealing copyrights, patents, and all types of intellectual property countries around the world pay to develop and manufacture.

Vendors here and companies all around the country pay near nothing for the stuff they sell you then mark it up 400% and more. Yu pay 2 grand and they paid less than 500 for the item. No wonder we are tanking and this recession will be like no other recession in recent history.

Yes we are making jobs and unemployment will drop but it is lower paying jobs. The cost of the cheap goods is hidden to most.

I need to be proud of what I spend my money on and crap from Communist China is not one of them. I avoid it when ever possible. With economic power comes military power through out history. Glad I'll be dead before we have to bow to a Communist country. Buy their crap and fuel the Communist military. Corporate greed has made the world bow to get at 1.3 billion customers. Chinese people great people and industrious just being led down the wrong path by dictators not much better than many tyrants of the past.

My only hope is they can be free one day and not be enslaved with their mind locked down as a few profit from it.

Enjoy your Chinese products if you like not me!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

John, don't read this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110118/...a_state_dinner

Looks the US is sucking up to China.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
1stz51
Instructor

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Some guys making $40 an hour have no idea what they are doing

I agree... I work with a few of them!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

With due respect to John's opinion of China (which I generally agree with) the question of the quality of a product has more to do with the technology used to make the product than the country of origin.

In the 1960's the opinion of anything made in Japan was similar to the opinion of things made in China. Japanese products were considered absolute junk. The term "Made In Japan" was a joke in itself.

Fast forward 30 years and Japanese products became one of the standards of quality for electronics, optics and automobiles. (Sony, Nikon, Honda, Toyota etc.)

I believe that the same thing has been happening to China and the quality of the products are continuing to improve.

A specification is an objective set of criteria that can be met with the proper materials and manufacturing standards, REGARDLESS of where the product is made.

I don't like communism and I am not a fan of the trade situation. However, to arbitrarily dismiss products made in China as "junk" ignores the reality of the growing economic and technological power that is occuring there and is indicative more of xenophobia, than actual facts.

JMHO.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:50 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, the problem is that they are filthy communists who want to take your job away.

pay no attention to US companies, and their investors, getting rich outsourcing the jobs overseas and importing cheap junk to sell you - those are just taking advantage of the opportunities in the land of the free, true capitalists if you will!

it is so much easier to buy into the next paranoid scare - of China taking over the world - now that the fairy tale of muslim terrorism bringing down US of A has been milked for all its worth.

nevermind the fact that Chinese society and culture have been around for thousands of years longer than ours, and our record (US and Europe combined) for starting wars and exploiting other nations and their citizens is a lot worse than theirs.

boycotting "made in china" products may make you feel good but its about as effective as refusing to fill up at BP gas stations to protest the spill.

if you must boycott made in china goods, by the way, I sure hope you are not using a computer or a cell phone to post here. good luck finding one with 100% of the parts made by white people.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by longdaddy
yes, the problem is that they are filthy communists who want to take your job away.

pay no attention to US companies, and their investors, getting rich outsourcing the jobs overseas and importing cheap junk to sell you - those are just taking advantage of the opportunities in the land of the free, true capitalists if you will!

it is so much easier to buy into the next paranoid scare - of China taking over the world - now that the fairy tale of muslim terrorism bringing down US of A has been milked for all its worth.

nevermind the fact that Chinese society and culture have been around for thousands of years longer than ours, and our record (US and Europe combined) for starting wars and exploiting other nations and their citizens is a lot worse than theirs.

boycotting "made in china" products may make you feel good but its about as effective as refusing to fill up at BP gas stations to protest the spill.

if you must boycott made in china goods, by the way, I sure hope you are not using a computer or a cell phone to post here. good luck finding one with 100% of the parts made by white people.
I'll boycott what ever I can from China who screws the US on trade because we have scumbag politicians who let them. Who thinks China will protect the world the way the US does? I don't see it. China rush into many disasters with aid?

Funny they can come and try to buy Chevron but everything in China has to be a join venture with foreign companies. Does that strike you as strange?

They regularly ship crap here loaded with lead even shopping bags used at a supermarket.

Funny we used to make cell phones here. It is an issue of fair trade not white as you brought into the mix. You think the people don't want a democracy like we have here? Guess you missed Tiananmen Square?

I'll keep my dollars here in the USA when ever possible for the US tax base not China's.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
With due respect to John's opinion of China (which I generally agree with) the question of the quality of a product has more to do with the technology used to make the product than the country of origin.

In the 1960's the opinion of anything made in Japan was similar to the opinion of things made in China. Japanese products were considered absolute junk. The term "Made In Japan" was a joke in itself.

Fast forward 30 years and Japanese products became one of the standards of quality for electronics, optics and automobiles. (Sony, Nikon, Honda, Toyota etc.)

I believe that the same thing has been happening to China and the quality of the products are continuing to improve.

A specification is an objective set of criteria that can be met with the proper materials and manufacturing standards, REGARDLESS of where the product is made.

I don't like communism and I am not a fan of the trade situation. However, to arbitrarily dismiss products made in China as "junk" ignores the reality of the growing economic and technological power that is occuring there and is indicative more of xenophobia, than actual facts.

JMHO.

Where are the Japanese losing jobs to? China. Fine have trade but don't bend me over and rob all the intercultural property rights most of the rest of the world respects. They also have over 50,000 industrial spies in the USA. I guess that would cut down on ZR&D cost. Now they send drugs here from China and that has had all types if horror stories attached. If a US company brings it here the FDA doesn't look at the drug. They are so few inspectors in China from the FDA to look at the drugs they send here it laughable. All the inspection done in China has them knowing when the inspection is so they can prepare.

Most stuff they make is cheap crap. If companies were so proud of where they got it they should say MADE IN CHINA. They have no problem when it is made in USA doing that.

Get notified of new replies

To race parts. made in china vs USA

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sidney004
John, don't read this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110118/...a_state_dinner

Looks the US is sucking up to China.
Tell me something new please they have signed all trade agreements they have broken since Nixon in the same room in China under they same picture. The idiots here have sat and done nothing except issue idle threats.

They sit and dump tires here by the millions now below cost against all trade rules. Trade is fine we are just the dumping ground for the world. So now Boeing is showing them how to build planes or they won't buy a Boeing aircraft. In 20 years they won't buy one anyway.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-18-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels

Funny they can come and try to buy Chevron but everything in China has to be a join venture with foreign companies. Does that strike you as strange?

If the US had any ballz they would lock the Chinese out the same way they lock us out.....but then again that would take some ballz.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Where are the Japanese losing jobs to? China. Fine have trade but don't bend me over and rob all the intercultural property rights most of the rest of the world respects. They also have over 50,000 industrial spies in the USA. I guess that would cut down on ZR&D cost. Now they send drugs here from China and that has had all types if horror stories attached. If a US company brings it here the FDA doesn't look at the drug. They are so few inspectors in China from the FDA to look at the drugs they send here it laughable. All the inspection done in China has them knowing when the inspection is so they can prepare.

Most stuff they make is cheap crap. If companies were so proud of where they got it they should say MADE IN CHINA. They have no problem when it is made in USA doing that.
With all due respect, John, the OP's question was about safety and quality, NOT world politics and economics.

I agree with much of your argument, but most of it is irrelevant to the question asked by the OP.

Take a deep breath, we are all on the same side.

Quick Reply: race parts. made in china vs USA