Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Dry Sump install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C5 Dry Sump install

You guys get the idea, but why not show some pictures!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!
Just curious -- where do you vent your tank; to a breather or to the TB?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice pics! Sweet looking pump too

Similar to your pics, I went solid diff on the passenger side (which I may have to monitor for NVH looseness).

I differed from your pics by having a 3 gallon tank set off in my trunk. Which necessitated having the lines hug between engine block and headers, and strap to the torque tube. PITA really. At the point in time where I installed, I had only seen the tanks put in passenger seat location or in the trunk; and I wanted hot oil as far away from me as possible lol.

You trim any of the front subframe assy for install so the lines could clear? What pump model are you running?

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 01-18-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MarkBychowski
Nice work!
Just curious -- where do you vent your tank; to a breather or to the TB?
The vent can was mounted beside the tank. A tick lower then ideal, but it's really a tight fit. Then a drain line was setup on it, so it's not a complete pain to drain if needed. Off road use car is so much easier!!!

Randy
Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
Nice pics! Sweet looking pump too

Similar to your pics, I went solid diff on the passenger side (which I may have to monitor for NVH looseness).

I differed from your pics by having a 3 gallon tank set off in my trunk. Which necessitated having the lines hug between engine block and headers, and strap to the torque tube. PITA really. At the point in time where I installed, I had only seen the tanks put in passenger seat location or in the trunk; and I wanted hot oil as far away from me as possible lol.

You trim any of the front subframe assy for install so the lines could clear? What pump model are you running?
Keeping oil out of the cockpit is a good idea!!!
A tick of subframe work was needed.
I will check for a part number in the AM. I just got home

Randy
Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice install .... going to show my dry sump ignorance but if you loose this belt driving the pump at any higher RPM is it curtains for your motor?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Very nice install .... going to show my dry sump ignorance but if you loose this belt driving the pump at any higher RPM is it curtains for your motor?

Shortly thereafter yes, the pump on this system pulls all of the oil out of the engine and returns it to the oil tank which in turn gravity feeds the oil pump which is still internal to the motor. So what would happen is that the engine will fill up with oil first and then run out of oil for the pump to feed the bearings.

This whole get-up looks very similiar to mine, engine mounts, KS location and all.....my tank is different and slightly different location , but.....
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Shortly thereafter yes, the pump on this system pulls all of the oil out of the engine and returns it to the oil tank which in turn gravity feeds the oil pump which is still internal to the motor. So what would happen is that the engine will fill up with oil first and then run out of oil for the pump to feed the bearings.

This whole get-up looks very similiar to mine, engine mounts, KS location and all.....my tank is different and slightly different location , but.....
99 times out of a 100 you will get oil on the windshield with enough time to shut it off. This is one of the main reasons why 95 percent of the time we don't use the dry-sump pump for oil pressure.

Randy
Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

It would almost be nice to rig some sort of pm generator and a lamp up to the drysump pump shaft to tell you if the belt fell off.....
Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would almost be nice to rig some sort of pm generator and a lamp up to the drysump pump shaft to tell you if the belt fell off.....
Cant see how that would be hard. Pretty darn ingenious if you ask me.

You could even wire up an RPM meter and hook it up to your data aq to flash a light if it goes below a certain RPM.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Maynor29
Instructor

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
99 times out of a 100 you will get oil on the windshield with enough time to shut it off. This is one of the main reasons why 95 percent of the time we don't use the dry-sump pump for oil pressure.

Randy
Randy, I can understand the second point you made about not using a the sump pump for the pressure side... (belt breaks, no oil pressure, bye-bye engine). The crank driven pump eliminates that issue.

Its the first part I'm trying to understand.. why would the windshield get covered in oil if the pump stops due to a broken belt?

As a new dry sump user (LS2 in an M3), I've been trying to figure out a clever way to do this and I'm surprised no one has an off the shelf solution for dry sump owners. Any one know of one?

John
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I haven't ever monitored this, but I wander if there is a measurable pressure from the dry sump pump back to the tank that a low pressure hob switch would be able to monitor. If there is the solution to this would be quite simple with an idiot light.

I know that I would feel alot better knowing that the belt fell off/broke before it emptied my tank and possibly sprayed oil all over the windshield.

Additionally on this I was not a big fan of what ARE's only pulley retension methods were, so my pulley got some nylon washers and a bolt and washer on the end of the pump shaft to make sure that the pulley does not wander causing the belt to be launched...I haven't thrown a belt yet.....and dont want to. But if I did I would want to know early as my motor is no $3500 LS6...

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 01-19-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't you just mount a "low oil level" idiot light in the tank? You'd have to figure out what level you'd want to consider low, of course...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

I haven't ever monitored this, but I wander if there is a measurable pressure from the dry sump pump back to the tank that a low pressure hob switch would be able to monitor. If there is the solution to this would be quite simple with an idiot light.

I know that I would feel alot better knowing that the belt fell off/broke before it emptied my tank and possibly sprayed oil all over the windshield.

Additionally on this I was not a big fan of what ARE's only pulley retension methods were, so my pulley got some nylon washers and a bolt and washer on the end of the pump shaft to make sure that the pulley does not wander causing the belt to be launched...I haven't thrown a belt yet.....and dont want to. But if I did I would want to know early as my motor is no $3500 LS6...
mine is the pressure pump too,no internal pump,,I don't have a second pulley in the middle this one uses an adustable brace to provide tension,,plus it has a guard on both sides...
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Maynor29
Randy, I can understand the second point you made about not using a the sump pump for the pressure side... (belt breaks, no oil pressure, bye-bye engine). The crank driven pump eliminates that issue.

Its the first part I'm trying to understand.. why would the windshield get covered in oil if the pump stops due to a broken belt?

As a new dry sump user (LS2 in an M3), I've been trying to figure out a clever way to do this and I'm surprised no one has an off the shelf solution for dry sump owners. Any one know of one?

John
Engine at rpm over filled with oil AKA all the oil in the tank in engine. It will start to puke. Hope you are going straight is all. Normally a driver will feel a loss of power also. But it's really a not good thing.

Randy
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default My Picture Contribution

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Dry Sump install

Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

the RR section does not play around when it comes to documentation/pics

I saw one of those DS setups on a 2009 when I was down in FL last Feb, very trick
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 05-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Rodbolt
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Wasserott;1576564921]

Would you happen to have the part number of that sump tank?
What is the capacity?
I have a stock LS7 pan with a baffle installed, so I will just have 2 lines, plus the large DRM oil cooler, which will be plumbed into the stock oil filter location.
Where can I get custom lines made?
Thanks for any help I can get.

Quick Reply: C5 Dry Sump install