Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take you to swap stock for aftermarket seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Default How long does it take you to swap stock for aftermarket seat?

I have a 2010 GS and went to a shop yesterday to try an EVO and a Momo to be used strictly for HPDE. Don't want to spend too long after but especially before events swapping seats in and out.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
I have a 2010 GS and went to a shop yesterday to try an EVO and a Momo to be used strictly for HPDE. Don't want to spend too long after but especially before events swapping seats in and out.
10-15 minutes!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Rasrboy - provided that the brackets are properly attached to the race seat, it is only 4 bolts and 10-15 minutes. Easy swap.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Once you have your aftermarket seat set up the way you want, it is a real easy deal to swap things out. Four nuts and one power seat plug are all you have to deal with....at least on the C5Z.

Last edited by kmagvette; 01-18-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When taking the seat out cover the ends of the seat rails to prevent damage to the car. The ends or very sharp.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a frame and slider from Arizen this morning.. I like the Arizen unit as it removes fast.. about 5 minutes like the others.. the crotch straps attach to the bottom of the seat frame. ~$300, with slider...4 x 15mm sockets... 3 plugs...
be sure to extend the steering wheel out to max before disconnecting wires..

caution w/ frame it can cut skin and scar paint
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The C6 has a lot of electronics mounted under the seat, so you may find the 10-15 minutes estimates a bit shy of reality...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

On the C5 it took me about 15 minutes. On the C6Z with the side airbags, belt pretensioners and heated seats it takes a little longer. On the C5 I didn't have to pull the battery cable before disconnecting the air bag connector. On the C6 there are 3 connectors to pull and even though you can raise the seat all the way up it is hard to get your hands on them. The air bag connector actually has a plastic pin through it so it doesn't come disconnected. With the C6 telescoping steering column you need to make sure the steering column is where you want it before you start pulling connectors apart. Another issue with the C6 is the OEM seat belt mount. You have to disconnect the belt from the side of the seat and figure out how to keep it from swinging around when you are driving the car. Since I have one of the Pfadt connectors that allows the steering column to keep moving I also have to pull the seat module off my driver seat and tape it to the floor boards so it can't move. All told the extra hassle doubles the time to change seats. Going either way I always seem to leave a few pieces of flesh on the damned seat mechanism.

Other than the steering wheel not being in the way the passenger seat swap isn't much easier since I don't have a power seat on that side so I have to lift the seat with my hands while trying to pull the connectors apart. On the C5Z there wasn't any real wiring to worry about and it was very easy to change that seat.

Bill
Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I could swap my two Kirkeys in/out with the
stock ones in under an hour taking my
time in the garage. During peak HPDE season I just
leave them in always. They are not that uncomfortable at all,
however are pretty hard to climb in/out off.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

In my opinion, the time it takes to swap depends entirely on the seat and seat rails you choose.

For instance, I can install my Sparco Evo 2 seats in a heartbeat. However, we have to fight to get my buddy's Cobra Suzuka on Hardbar rails installed in his car. Identical C5s.

Get notified of new replies

To How long does it take you to swap stock for aftermarket seat?

Quick Reply: How long does it take you to swap stock for aftermarket seat?