Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st National Tour Event

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
roadracerex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1st National Tour Event

So I am heading 1200 miles down to San Diego for my first National Tour Solo event in April. Any watchouts for a first timer? I have my Passport and will be registering soon.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Have fun, do what you would normally do at a local event. It's more important to run a set up you are familar with than to have optomized tire pressue, alignment, shocks, etc.

Plan enough time to walk the course. Some people can walk the course TOO much and over analyze it, decide for your self.

Have fun! If you focus so much on winning, you will struggle to stay calm. Race your own race. There will be plenty of friendly people there to help you out with the logistics of the event.

Did I mention have fun?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Be aware of the sound limitation: 93 dBA at 50 feet. The stadium (i.e., city) makes us enforce it.

What car in what class?

It is a great venue. Good luck and have fun.

P.S. - I have actually been to Kennewick.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 PM
roadracerex
Instructor

I am running a completely stock exhaust so I hope the sound is not an issue.

I run my 2004 Z16 Z06 in SS Class. It is fully prepped with Koni single adjutsable shocks, Strano front bar, Hoosier A6's and Kumho rains (I know but they do better) harnesses, auto-x alignment, lowered and corner balanced. I do very well locally. I am usually very close to Mike Vesecky who took 10th and 12th at Nationals the last two years. He is stepping up to FMod this year, so I am going to see how well I can do.

And I do sometimes forget the have fun part!

I am also doing the Evo school Friday and they will walk the course with us both days.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadracerex
I am running a completely stock exhaust so I hope the sound is not an issue.

I run my 2004 Z16 Z06 in SS Class. .
Great car!!!

You won't have any trouble with the stock exhaust.

Forget about having fun and go win something! Nothing but pushovers out west in SS...Thomason, Dietz, some guy named Munchhof, and some other wannabes...when they hear you're entering they'll probably stay home...

Last edited by TedDBere; 01-20-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
roadracerex
Instructor

Dietz handed me my lunch during the "lake" Packwood event last fall. Pouring rain, standing water, me on A6's him on W710's. It wasn't pretty and prompted my purchase of the W710's to ensure that level of whoop was never delivered to me again! I have finished in the top 10 in PAX overall (over 100 cars) with a few of the more notable NWR folks in my STI that I used to run back in 2007.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Forget about having fun and go win something! Nothing but pushovers out west in SS...Thomason, Deitz, some guy named Munchhof, and some other wannabes...when they hear you're entering they'll probably stay home...
Too damn funny!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
roadracerex
Instructor

I AM BACK!!!

I had at least 20 runs at the Evo school and test and tune. My buddy Scott made 4 runs at the TNT.

That Brian Peters is a machine (he was my Evo instructor). WOW. He was driving someone elses 2010 911 Turbo AWD and it was amazing watching him drive.

I was a little dejected on Saturday, but Sunday made up for it. The live results are wrong. I actually ended up in 9th overall out of 13 people. Dietz did not show, but Thomason took first due to Braun's cone carnage Saturday.

Saturday, Munchhof (6th at Nationals) and Rhoades (second at Nationals in a Viper) were driving Munchoff's Z06. Braun (1st at Nationals), Munchhof, Rhoades and myself were dirty on all three runs Saturday. It was just the course design. I was only 0.7 seconds behind Munchoff and Rhoades on Saturday even though the 12th place did not seem to indicate that! On Sunday, I had a better time than Rhoades and was only 0.2 seconds behind Munchhof. I had the best satisfaction in seeing Munchhof's face when I told him I was only 0.2 seconds back and he just shook his head. I coned away 6th place Saturday.

The course was the best grip I have raced on with the vette. My arms still hurt from trying to handle the car. Sunday uphill right hand sweeper was pedal on the floor and hitting the rev limiter in 2nd mid-sweep and then straighten out for a brake zone. The down hill "rollercoaster" as it was to be named, was downhill off camber right, at the bottom of the hill through a narrow slot off camber uphill left into an off camber very slow area uphill left and then a wiggle finish. NO CONES SUNDAY!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I AM BACK!!!

I had at least 20 runs at the Evo school and test and tune. My buddy Scott made 4 runs at the TNT.

That Brian Peters is a machine (he was my Evo instructor). WOW. He was driving someone elses 2010 911 Turbo AWD and it was amazing watching him drive.

I was a little dejected on Saturday, but Sunday made up for it. The live results are wrong. I actually ended up in 9th overall out of 13 people. Dietz did not show, but Thomason took first due to Braun's cone carnage Saturday.

Saturday, Munchhof (6th at Nationals) and Rhoades (second at Nationals in a Viper) were driving Munchoff's Z06. Braun (1st at Nationals), Munchhof, Rhoades and myself were dirty on all three runs Saturday. It was just the course design. I was only 0.7 seconds behind Munchoff and Rhoades on Saturday even though the 12th place did not seem to indicate that! On Sunday, I had a better time than Rhoades and was only 0.2 seconds behind Munchhof. I had the best satisfaction in seeing Munchhof's face when I told him I was only 0.2 seconds back and he just shook his head. I coned away 6th place Saturday.

The course was the best grip I have raced on with the vette. My arms still hurt from trying to handle the car. Sunday uphill right hand sweeper was pedal on the floor and hitting the rev limiter in 2nd mid-sweep and then straighten out for a brake zone. The down hill "rollercoaster" as it was to be named, was downhill off camber right, at the bottom of the hill through a narrow slot off camber uphill left into an off camber very slow area uphill left and then a wiggle finish. NO CONES SUNDAY!
Glad you had fun!

Thanks for giving my friend some tips for the Pro Solo starts. Nice talking with you at the Tour on Sunday.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
roadracerex
Instructor

It was great talking with you guys too. Some nice folks down that way!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 PM
mp5
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, nice job dude. I'm glad we could provide you with some satisfaction.

Our car was way too loose all weekend which is exactly what you don't want on a heavy transition course. We were losing a bunch of time due to setup, but it may have been impossible for a vette to hang with the Lotus on that course anyway. Gary and Matthew are the real benchmarks to look at.

If that's the grippiest surface you've run, you should try Lincoln! Huge difference...

The video of my first run is pretty entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwGwXC4a20s
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 PM
roadracerex
Instructor

Hey Jason, you guys were great. Thanks. As the new guy, we all go to measure ourselves against the guys who always show up at the top of the heap.

My first run Saturday was that way too. Sticker tires?

Our surface sucks at home. I have run a couple times on a surface that is similar to SD, but none better at least with the vette. I ran the STi at Packwood a few times.

Hope to see you again at other events.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st National Tour Event

Quick Reply: 1st National Tour Event