Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phoenix Tow Hook Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Phoenix Tow Hook Install Question

I am getting ready to install the hinged Phoenix tow hooks on the 03 Z06. Read the instructions today which call for removing both front and rear fascias for the install. With all the experience out there, has anyone figured out how to mount this product with out removing half the body work on the car ? Any tips would be appreciated and pics if you have them. TIA.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Go ahead and pull them. You'll need to know how eventually, may as well get good at it.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you dont need to pull the rear fascia off. It mounts to the muffler hangar bolts and sticks through the horizontal vent on the bottom. just crawl under the back of the car and you'll see.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 PM
David A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
you dont need to pull the rear fascia off. It mounts to the muffler hangar bolts and sticks through the horizontal vent on the bottom. just crawl under the back of the car and you'll see.
I respectfully disagree. The factory fasteners seem way to weak for the tow hook. I happen to have my car apart still from the "winter projects", front and read tow hooks are on. If you would like some pictures, PM me your email address and I can take/send as many as you like.

YMMV,
Dave
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

the fastners or the fastner location? if you mount it somewhere else then ok, but if you use those bolt holes they are plainly visible and accessible without removing the fascia.
c5z I'm talking about here, just in case that's the difference we're talking about.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
I respectfully disagree. The factory fasteners seem way to weak for the tow hook. I happen to have my car apart still from the "winter projects", front and read tow hooks are on. If you would like some pictures, PM me your email address and I can take/send as many as you like.

YMMV,
Dave
I started to mount mine just on the hanger bolts, but they looked too weak. Went ahead and removed rear. Not that bad a job. I drilled the muffler hanger hole out and put the larger bolt that come with strap.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you use your stock muffler hanger locations you will need to pull off the rear fascia. That's what I did on my 02Z. Front you have to take off the front fascia regardless.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

PM Sent.

The front fascia has to come off. The rear can be done on, but its a pain. I recommend taking it off.

Call me igf you want to discuss further.

610-482-0141
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

i get it now ... sorry for being dense. to change the bolts you either need to remove it so you can go in from the side, or cut an access hole. I did not change the bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To Phoenix Tow Hook Install Question

Quick Reply: Phoenix Tow Hook Install Question