Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR-1 front sway bar on a Z51 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
freeride59
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ZR-1 front sway bar on a Z51 coupe?

I autocross my 2008 Z51 coupe and I would like to reduce some of the oversteer, I feel that by increasing the stiffness of the front bar it may neutralize the oversteer condition. From what I have read the ZR1 front bar is 34mm vs the Z51/Z06 bar that is 32mm. This seems to be a nice incremental step and a new bar only costs $115 bucks.

This seems like a no brainer but I cannot find anyone else who had made this mod. Anyone else out there doing this? I have also upgraded the shocks to Bilstein sports.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:23 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

???
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
freeride59
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I also put green bananas inside the valve cover to cut down on valve train noise, works like a champ!

Anyone reading this crap?

Hello is this mic on?

Welcome to the superhighway of misinformation.

I also put amzoil in my car and doubled my horsepower.

Seafoam is a fantastic product, who are the marketing geniuses that thought of that name. Sounds like something you would pour into your carb if you where trying destroy your engine.

Luxury hybrid SUV, now that is the most absurd thing on the road. So let's get this straight, you can afford a $60K vehicle but extra $15 buck a week for gas is gonna break the bank?

Saw a Pontiac aztek on the road today, mad props to GM, Harley Earl must still be spinning in his grave over that one.

Don't get me started.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freeride59
I autocross my 2008 Z51 coupe and I would like to reduce some of the oversteer, I feel that by increasing the stiffness of the front bar it may neutralize the oversteer condition. From what I have read the ZR1 front bar is 34mm vs the Z51/Z06 bar that is 32mm. This seems to be a nice incremental step and a new bar only costs $115 bucks.

This seems like a no brainer but I cannot find anyone else who had made this mod. Anyone else out there doing this? I have also upgraded the shocks to Bilstein sports.
What tires are you running ? Curious as I have more of a tendency to understeer with R888's on road courses.

Ed (grew up in Wantagh ...)
Old 05-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by freeride59

You are the first person that I have heard of that has issues with oversteer....It seems like most people complain about understeer. When I was autocrossing I had understeering issues, but unfortunately they were usually driver induced. I also have wider rear tires so maybe that helped??

Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

don't be scared. for that price I'd do it.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

but you might also have to buy new bushings for the sway bar also... maybe not though... 2mm isn't much.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sway bar diameter isn't the only factor in how stiff the bar is. The overall design of the bar and the material properties of the metal used in the bar also have a large impact on the overall stiffness. Here is a copy of our sway bar comparison chart, it may help in your future sway bar decisions.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 front sway bar on a Z51 coupe?

Quick Reply: ZR-1 front sway bar on a Z51 coupe?