Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about tilt car haulers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about tilt car haulers...

I'm considering getting a easy tilt trailer for hauling my car to the track.....what do you think...only drawback I guess would be that a tire rack would probably not be an option..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZpizi8Kj_A
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
I'm considering getting a easy tilt trailer for hauling my car to the track.....what do you think...only drawback I guess would be that a tire rack would probably not be an option..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZpizi8Kj_A
Tire racks, tool boxes, winches, and winching a car onto a tilt trailer all become drawbacks. I can't say I'm a fan of a tilt trailer.
Plus the structural integrity of a tilt will never be as good as a fixed bed. But, there a bunch of them out there running around so to each his own.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a hydraulic tilt trailer. I added a box on the front and two rows of tires behind it which sit on the trailer, not in a vertical rack, and a winch. This setup works great for me.

Last edited by eogel; 01-20-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eogel
I have a hydraulic tilt trailer. I added a box on the front and two rows of tires behind it which sit on the trailer, not in a vertical rack, and a winch. This setup works great for me.

I love that setup...what size is the trailer. Do load the vette backwards or drive it on straight...I was wondering if you rub or hit the front end when loading. If you have more pics I would like to see them....
Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that setup...what size is the trailer. Do load the vette backwards or drive it on straight...I was wondering if you rub or hit the front end when loading. If you have more pics I would like to see them....

I had one of those and it was an excellent trailer for hauling my Miata at the time...pulled it with a 1500 Suburban and an RV. It pulled very well, easy loading/unloading with no dragging of lower valance lip. The sliding mechanism works well since you can get in and out without fender interference... I switched to an enclosed trailer and bought a Duramax PU to pull it. Sold the trailer and car, got a Corvette, and purchased an aluminum trailer and another SUV...plenty of power from the hemi Durango to pull the vette on the aluminum trailer, but this trailer is significantly heavier...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM
racecarbuilders
Heel & Toe

i have a customer that has a texas roll back trailer he likes it...it is a littel different than what i see here..
Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OzCop
I had one of those and it was an excellent trailer for hauling my Miata at the time...pulled it with a 1500 Suburban and an RV. It pulled very well, easy loading/unloading with no dragging of lower valance lip. The sliding mechanism works well since you can get in and out without fender interference... I switched to an enclosed trailer and bought a Duramax PU to pull it. Sold the trailer and car, got a Corvette, and purchased an aluminum trailer and another SUV...plenty of power from the hemi Durango to pull the vette on the aluminum trailer, but this trailer is significantly heavier...
I have a Escalade with a 6.2 (403hp) so I don't think the pulling power is an issue. (I pull a boat at about 7k) They do make the same tilt trailer in aluminum....so I think its a fit for me..
Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They are great and I have 3 big boxes on mine and enough room on the rack for three sets of tires. Easy to us with no effort up or down. I use mine for work also so there is NO structural problems with a properly build tilt bed. I have 10,000 trailer and carry that weight on it for many thousands of miles I have been through many tires since I bought it. Get 10,000 lb axles.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

pull mine with a Trailblazer SS

Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
pull mine with a Trailblazer SS

awesome... thanks for the pics...what size in your trailer...18..20ft?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one of the tilt trailers with a wench, cargo box, and tire rack....and towed a lot of miles. To and from Fla. to the NE often. The only problem I ever had was that it was a real pain to unload and load if you were by yourself.

jery
Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

awesome... thanks for the pics...what size in your trailer...18..20ft?
18ft. and from the end of the trailer to the hitch 4 ft.

One thing people forget with buying a trailer is storage. At my old house I had a small 2 car wide by 3 car deep driveway. Difficult to store, but luckily ECS lot is huge and I could leave it there. When I bought my new house last year I made sure the driveway would accommodate an open or enclosed trailer. My driveway is 175 feet being 2 cars wide until the last 30 feet where it is 4 cars wide. I have the side of my house paved so my trailer fits perfect in that space without taking up driveway space.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

This trailer was designed to maximize visibility of the tow vehicle driver. The trailer bed is 22 feet 8inches long x 83 inches wide between the fenders. The fenders are removable, but I never take them off. The box on the front end is 24” high and 38 3/4” front to back. It is hinged on the leading edge of the trailer for full access. When open it rests on the tongue. It is all aluminum and can be easily lifted by my wife.

The two parallel tire racks go all the way across the trailer and hold 10+ tires & 2 trailer spares.

The lift is hydraulic with two lift cylinders. Two were required because of the weight added to the front with the box contents and tires. The lift control is wire connected with a long cord. It simply plugs into a socket in the front. A winch runs off of the same battery as the lift pump.

The car was originally driven on facing the tow vehicle with space at the back. It is now winched up in the same direction. Because of the winch (not shown in the picture) and the splitter I added, the back end of the car is at the end of the trailer.

With the box contents, I am self sufficient with a generator and compressor. A tarp can be added, which is anchored to poles mounted in the stake pockets on the side.

Rather than clutter up your thread, please send your email to eogel@nc.rr.com and I will provide more pictures and address any specific questions you have.

Ed

Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 PM
2bridges
Racer

I have a tilt bed car trailer. I will never own a trailer with ramps again. As most cars I play with are low the tilt trailer is much easier to load and unload without hanging up the car or doing gymnastics to get it on/off unharmed.

structural concerns are really far fetched - see one in person
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racecarbuilders
i have a customer that has a texas roll back trailer he likes it...it is a littel different than what i see here..
A friend borrowed a roll back trailer. It has a fixed frame and the bed rolls back and tilts down. So you still have the stuctural integrity of a full frame.

The wheels on the trailer lock in place then you back the tow vehicle up. The bed slides back and tilts down. Once loaded you drive forward and the bed slides back into place.

We pushed my roller Corvette chassis onto it with just me and 2 "old" guys with no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think about tilt car haulers...

Quick Reply: What do you think about tilt car haulers...