Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a C5, Importance of Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:21 PM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Buying a C5, Importance of Z51?

I am going to be buying a C5 in the next month or 2. It will be a daily driver, but I'd like to get a spare set of rims and tires and auto cross it occasionally. So how important is it I find a car with Z51 suspension? How would a base suspension compare if I upgraded the shocks and sway bars?Is it worth spending the extra time to get a car with Z51?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you need to have a targa or vert?

If not with a little Auto-X in mind, a C5Z is just the ticket.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

I was looking a regular coupe, a little cheaper than a Z.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Shocks and sways are only part of the Z51 package. The springs are stiffer than the base car springs and in my opinion they shouldn't have built the cars with anything less than the Z51 setup.

Bill
Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most C5s and virtually every 6 speed C5 came with the Z51.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Stock or Z51 suppension Not the magnetic control.

In most cases for a used C5 the shocks may need to replaced.

You may wind up putting in money to the suspension anyway.

the PS cooler is a must.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with the C5Z suggestion. If you are going to beat on the car you will end up spending a bunch of money to get what comes standard on the C5Z...including the power steering cooler.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Default The coupe is classed better

A C5 coupe with a Z51 runs in A stock. A C5Z runs in super stock.

The coupe is an overdog in AS, the Z is an also ran in SS against the Elise and the GT3's. You really don't need the power steering cooler for autocross, but you really want the Z51 package. You don't get quite the rim width, but you can still run 275 fronts and 315 rears on the stock wheels. There is a huge difference between the base and the Z51, so you should at the very least get that to start with.

Note that in SCCA stock the front sway bar is free, so you can upgrade to the Z06 front bar and aside from a bit of spring rate you will have 90% of a Z in terms of capability (assuming you go to the bigger tires up front). Add a set of serious shocks and dial the car in and you have a strong car out of the box.

There are some serious autocrossers that think that C5 Z51 coupe is a national level package for A stock, so there are good reasons not to go for a C5Z and stick with a coupe. If one was to get real serious about autocrossing a Vette on a national level a Z51 coupe might well be the best choice.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info everyone. Solofast, that's what I was thinking, I'd rather run AS then SS. I have used my Camaro in ESP before and had really good luck with it using Strano suspension. I will look for a Z51 car. varkwso, thanks for that info too. I am looking at cars and some are out of state, and they rarely list if they have the Z51 option or not. I'll have to make sure they send me a copy of the RPO codes before I go look at one.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have autocrossed my FRC (Z51) and agree that it does quite well. I have since gotten stock Z06 wheels, which should make for more fun.

In any case, I think even if you can't find a coupe that is Z51 equipped, you can find used Z51 springs (seen these for as low as $150 a set) & sways (got the updated Z51 size sways for $75 for the pair) without too much trouble. As one poster said, you'll probably need to replace the shocks regardless, so grab a set of Bilstein Sport shocks (I got mine for $300 for all four, shipped), and a set of metal endlinks (if equipped with the plastic one) and you're good to go.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Sam is an excellent suspension tuner, imho he is probably one of the best at setting up cars for autocross. In addition to F bodies he knows his way around a C5...

You would do well to listen to him and do exactly what he says. Do that and drive the car well and you are all set.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

You don't need the rpo codes, just get the VIN and plug it in here and it will tell you what the car came with..

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
Sam is an excellent suspension tuner, imho he is probably one of the best at setting up cars for autocross. In addition to F bodies he knows his way around a C5...

You would do well to listen to him and do exactly what he says. Do that and drive the car well and you are all set.

Yes, when Sam talks, I listen, all my suspension settings on the Camaro are exactly what he told me to use. Didn't know he knew C5's as well. When I get one I will have to get ahold of him.

Thanks for the VIN-RPO code link.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Another C5 option is the 99-00 Fixed Roof Coupe. Change to the the Z06 exhaust and you are within a few pounds of the C5Z in weight. Also you want the Active Handling package. Properly set up you can run SCCA, NCCC and Detroit Council events with a minimum of changes to the Corvette.

In Michigan all three have active Corvette classes and you have the choice of several Corvette friendly autocross, Low and High Speed Time Trials, and limited passing HPDE events.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Another C5 option is the 99-00 Fixed Roof Coupe. Change to the the Z06 exhaust and you are within a few pounds of the C5Z in weight. Also you want the Active Handling package. Properly set up you can run SCCA, NCCC and Detroit Council events with a minimum of changes to the Corvette.

In Michigan all three have active Corvette classes and you have the choice of several Corvette friendly autocross, Low and High Speed Time Trials, and limited passing HPDE events.
Didn't realize there were all those options in Mich. The Low and High speed time trials sound especially interesting, how do I get a schedule find out more about them?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

NCCC holds both low speed and high speed time trials. Low speed is your typical parking lot autocross while high speed is usually held on a road course like Gingerman. Check this site for schedule.
NCCC Michigan region schedule: http://www.michcorvette.org/id4.html
You can even come down to Indiana for some of our events, especially when we are at Tire Rack in South Bend.
NCCC Indiana region schedue: http://www.indianaregion.org/Schedule.pdf
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info! When I get a Vette I will be going to a couple.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C5, Importance of Z51?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

just upgrade the suspension with a GOOD aftermarket setup and blow away the competition. Also you run then in ASP which typically in most regions has very few competitors in it.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenak
just upgrade the suspension with a GOOD aftermarket setup and blow away the competition. Also you run then in ASP which typically in most regions has very few competitors in it.
That may work for SCCA, but for NCCC and DCSS events you have many experienced drivers running in ASP. Also for events around Detroit check out
http://www.corvetteclubmi.com/. Usually two events or more every month from April til October.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are going to run in SCCA stock classes, or you just don't want to deal with a racing seat, you're going to want to check out Angel Pads at www.angelwingstech.com. The stock seats suck when it comes to lateral support. I don't know how I got by without mine.

Quick Reply: Buying a C5, Importance of Z51?