Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics: Evo 2 Plus seats, roll cage and tow hook

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Vette53
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics: Evo 2 Plus seats, roll cage and tow hook

I just got my car back from Piper Motorsports in Sterling VA. I had them mount my Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats on custom seat brackets and put in a custom fabricated 4 point roll bar. They also welded an attachment point for the front tow hook. Here are the pics....

Old 01-21-2011, 02:09 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Setup. Are those Schroth belts?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the evo 2 plus larger width than the normal evo 2s?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Vette53
Instructor

They are Schroth belts. My son's Spec Miata has them we like them so I went with them again.
The Evo 2 plus has a slightly higher shoulder height. Meaning that the belts enter a little higher. I do not believe they are wider. I was actually considering swapping the OEM seats when I am driving on the street but the Evo's are comfortable enough for me so I will just leave them in all the time.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 AM
racecarbuilders
Heel & Toe

this is posted more for others reading ..looking to choose a seat and half cage or harness bar..i have see harness bars that are sold that are to low..and many people buy seats without accually thinking about the harnesses..and weather it fit them
not referring to anything piper did.

if you ae choosing a seat for a track day car and harnesses..make sure when you sit in it with your hans device on the holes in the seats are high enough ..i see it all the time in my shop..the little f1 drivers are 5'1" tall ..the work for them...

the harness bar or cross bar in the cage should make the shoulder straps be level to 20 deg down ..no more..this is difficult when the cross bar is inches away from your shoulders...and they cant bend down to go through the seat...if the cross bar is to low it can compress your spine on impact...the cage builder should sit you in the car with the seat and mark where the harness bar /cross bar should be before he starts the cage...

Last edited by racecarbuilders; 01-21-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Vette53
Instructor

Originally Posted by racecarbuilders
if you ae choosing a seat for a track day car and harnesses..make sure when you sit in it with your hans device on the holes in the seats are high enough ..i see it all the time in my shop..the little f1 drivers are 5'1" tall ..the work for them...

the haness bar and harnesses should make the shoulder straps be level to 20 deg down ..no more..this is difficult when the cross bar is inches away from your shoulders...and they cant bend down to go through the seat...if the cross bar is to low it can compress your spine on impact...

this is posted more for others reading ..looking to choose a seat and half cage or harness bar..i have see harness bars that are sold that are to low..and many peopl buy seats without accually thinking about the harnesses..
not referring to anything piper did.
exactly why I had a pro shop do the work...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
racecarbuilders
Heel & Toe

i know piper is a repuable shop in that area.. i am one of those pro shops..been in the business for 10 years..and 400 cars..been there doen that..

i just see people come to my shop all the time with seats made fro a driver 5'1 they are 6'2" and they need to go exchange there seat before i can do the cage..just saying just because you like that seat it may not work for you..

Last edited by racecarbuilders; 01-21-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just visited piper for an estimate/appointment, but I'm going full cage. Nice guys, very informative and about 10 minutes from my house.

Is that hoop high enough to protect the head? I'm sure it is but it looks a little low for someone 6'2"
Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
racecarbuilders
Heel & Toe

accually it is impossible to get a main hoop 2inches above the drivers head..in a corvette..the way the roof is shaped..all you can do is put it up against the roof and let it support the factory "roll bar..you just do the best you can without putting it outside the car..

Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Vette53
Instructor

Some people will take out the factory bar and place their roll hoop just under the skin of the roof.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
VTME13
Instructor

Looks like an awesome set up!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Vette53
Instructor

I should have mentioned that if you are in the No Va area and want to see it let me know...
Old 01-21-2011, 05:00 PM
racecarbuilders
Heel & Toe

i have read that people do that.. i dont understand why you would take something that is ment to be a roll bar from the factory..that is also add the the ridgitity of the car..out to put something else in..that probably isnt as strong..i feel it is better to add to rather than replace..one for another..even if you do that you still arent 2 inches above the drivers head...but it would put you flush..
Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racecarbuilders
i have read that people do that.. i dont understand why you would take something that is ment to be a roll bar from the factory..that is also add the the ridgitity of the car..out to put something else in..that probably isnt as strong..i feel it is better to add to rather than replace..one for another..even if you do that you still arent 2 inches above the drivers head...but it would put you flush..
Although I have not done this to my C5. Its to get weight off the car and lower the CG.

I also have a Piper Cage. Probably one of the first C5's done at his shop.

Last edited by Woods; 01-22-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pics: Evo 2 Plus seats, roll cage and tow hook

Quick Reply: Pics: Evo 2 Plus seats, roll cage and tow hook