Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing Announces 2011 Driver Lineup

Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Corvette Racing Announces 2011 Driver Lineup

Corvette Racing Announces 2011 Driver Lineup

Tommy Milner and Richard Westbrook Join Corvette Racing Roster

DETROIT, Jan. 21, 2011 – Corvette Racing will have two new drivers in its lineup for the 2011 American Le Mans Series and the 24 Hours of Le Mans (pending official invitation). Tommy Milner will join Olivier Beretta in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R for the full season, with Antonio Garcia continuing as third driver in the Sebring, Le Mans, and Petit Le Mans endurance races. Richard Westbrook will be teamed with Jan Magnussen and Oliver Gavin in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R in the three long-distance events.

"At the conclusion of every season, we review and evaluate all aspects of the Corvette Racing program," said GM Racing director Mark Kent. "The level of competition in the GT class is extremely high, and our goal is to make the team as competitive as possible. We are pleased to welcome Tommy Milner and Richard Westbrook to Corvette Racing, and we believe that they will help us to reach our objective."

The new members of Corvette Racing's driver roster have extensive experience in world-class GT competition. Milner, 24, of Lake Mary, Fla., is a second-generation racer who has competed in formula and sports car series with distinction. Milner has driven for factory-affiliated teams representing Panoz, Porsche, and BMW, and has competed in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. He finished third in the ALMS GT standings in 2010.

Westbrook, 35, of London, England, won the FIA GT2 championship in 2009, and scored podium finishes in 24-hour races at Le Mans (third in GT2) and Daytona (third overall) in 2010. A two-time Porsche Supercup champion, Westbrook notched an ALMS GT2 victory at Road America in 2008. He has competed in the Spa and Nurburgring endurance races, selected ALMS and Grand Am events in the U.S., and the FIA GT1 championship.

"We look at our competition continuously and intensely, and it became very clear that Tommy Milner and Richard Westbrook have the qualities we value at Corvette Racing," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "They are quick, intelligent, team-oriented, and disciplined in their approach. They will connect with Corvette fans and represent Chevrolet as a global brand. We are very excited to have these two talented young drivers join America's most successful production sports car team, and we look forward to long and rewarding relationships with both of them."

Milner and Westbrook will become the 21st and 22nd drivers to race with Corvette Racing since the team's debut in 1999. Both have driven the Corvette C6.Rs in private tests, and will participate in the ALMS Winter Test in Sebring, Fla., on February 9-10, in preparation for the season-opening Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

"When you look at sports car racing over the last 10 years, the biggest name in GT racing has to be Corvette," Milner said. "With all of the team's victories in Le Mans and the success they've had here in America, Corvette Racing has a history of winning. To have the opportunity to be a part of the Corvette program at this point in my career is very exciting. I'm looking forward to working with the engineers, the crew, and the other drivers to make Corvette the powerhouse in endurance racing."

"I've raced against the Corvette enough times to know it's better to be driving one than racing against one," Westbrook said. "I'm absolutely delighted to be joining the Corvette Racing program for 2011. The Corvette C6.R is an amazing piece of machinery, very well engineered, and it's just an honor to drive one. Everyone on the team is hungry for success and expectations are high, so we have to deliver."
Old 01-21-2011, 04:05 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Damn,
Guess I didn't make the cut again this year
Old 01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
Damn,
Guess I didn't make the cut again this year
Yeah, it is a real shame that they hire drivers with a lot more talent than us
Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody know how old Milner is?

Got it, 25 next week. Looks like he's 13 though.

Last edited by dfinke23; 01-21-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Anybody know how old Milner is?
Googled him ... looks like he is 24 ... if he proves himself, he could be on this team until the C8.R comes out!

Interview with Tommy at Mid-Ohio last year ... he's on the right!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Love the yellow Vettes!

Been a huge ALMS & Corvette Racing fan since ~'99!

Also probably the reason I decided to buy my first Corvette.

Can't wait to root them on this season (crappy ESPN3 coverage). I'll be at
Petit and MidOhio in person, just like always. And hopefully SPEED still has
the 24hrs LeMans coverage, cause I don't miss a beat (ok maybe 1-2hrs sleep)
during that race with RadioLemans, SPEED, etc!

Welcome Tom & Richard!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

so johhny isnt coming back and who else?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Looks like Mags is gone too. I also noticed that there are NO Corvettes at the Daytona 24. Chevy is really pissing me off.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
so johhny isnt coming back and who else?
car 4
Oliver Gavin
Jan Magnussen
Richard Westbrook

car 3
Olivier Berretta
Tommy Milner
Antonio Garcia
Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
sundiego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They call him a second generation racer, so I assume his Dad is Milt Milner who raced Corvettes in the '70s, including Greenwood's cars.

Last edited by sundiego; 01-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sundiego
They call him a second generation racer, so I assume his Dad is Milt Milner who raced Corvettes in the '70s, including Greenwood's cars.
Tom is the son of Tom Milner who owns a professional racing team out of Winchester, Virginia called PTG. His dad was Bill Scotts first mechanic back about 1966 when they were running a Formula Vee and partnered with Bill through all their businesses including ownership of Summit Point. When Scott decided he didn't want to race anymore Tom sold his interested to Bill and opened his PTG shop in the old Group 44 building on route 50 just east of downtown Winchester.

Tommy learned to race on his computer and has been aruond race cars all his life. I also hear that PTG is building cars for 2011, but not sure what they are.

No relation to Milt Minter.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So we still have 1 American driver in the entire line up??

I just can't beleive we don't have any US talent that can win in these cars. I know the stakes are high, but it is not F1. I can't beleive we can't find enough US talent.

Are we (US) that bad at road racing?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
...Are we (US) that bad at road racing?
No, but without already having the right connections (or an extremely thick wallet) IMHO it's far more difficult in the US to acquire the commercial backing necessary to scale the RR ladder. Wasn't my aim, but sometimes wish I'd taken advice to go around in circles... Anyway, I'll still be rooting for the Corvettes.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by 95jersey
So we still have 1 American driver in the entire line up??

I just can't beleive we don't have any US talent that can win in these cars. I know the stakes are high, but it is not F1. I can't beleive we can't find enough US talent.

Are we (US) that bad at road racing?
It is sad

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing Announces 2011 Driver Lineup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Racing Announces 2011 Driver Lineup