Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kirkey's mounted with Arizen hardware!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kirkey's mounted with Arizen hardware!

Seats and harness installed...... 1st seat was a 5 hr project (extra time for fitting and adjusting the driver seat first), 2nd one was a mirror copy and only took 3 hrs this included setting all the harnesses..... and only one trip to hardware store for grade 8 bolts for seats and harnesses
Kirkey 18" Road Race seats were installed without any fitment issues. I would recomend this setup to anyone wanting to install Kirkey's. You may have to do a little trimming on the rails where the lap belt runs through the seat but not a big deal. Thanks to Mark at Arizen for quick shipping in blizard conditions and several good phone conversations

See below

Last edited by Gman57; 01-25-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Charles Cyrus
Racer

Very Nice set-up!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
Seats and harness installed...... 1st seat was a 5 hr project (extra time for fitting and adjusting the driver seat first), 2nd one was a mirror copy and only took 3 hrs this included setting all the harnesses..... and only one trip to hardware store for grade 8 bolts for seats and harnesses
Kirkey 18" Road Race seats were installed without any fitment issues. I would recomend this setup to anyone wanting to install Kirkey's. You may have to do a little trimming on the rails where the lap belt runs through the seat but not a big deal. Thanks to Mark at Arizen for quick shipping in blizard conditions and several good phone conversations
Cool! Would you mind showing some images of the the bottom half, particularly where the mount is? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Webz
Cool! Would you mind showing some images of the the bottom half, particularly where the mount is? Thanks.
I wish I would have taken a few snaps when I was doing the install
When I get home from work I'll take a few of the bottom half but there isn't much left to see. The seat covers most of it
Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Very nice looking setup. This would be a good option for my C4! Thanks for the pics.

Say, what kirkey seat did you go with?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Kirkey # 47 Road racing seats see the link below

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series47
Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish I would have taken a few snaps when I was doing the install
When I get home from work I'll take a few of the bottom half but there isn't much left to see. The seat covers most of it
I'm glad things worked out for you.

I've always told people who wanted to install seats on our brackets without sliders they would have difficulty if the seat is positioned farther back for those with longer legs. The seat ends up over the rear floor holes and makes it hard to get to them to bolt the bracket down. If you bolt the bracket in place first, usually there isn't enough room to fit bolts from the side through the side mounts into the seats.

Gman57 reminded me the Kirkeys have no threaded inserts in the seats like fiberglass seats do, so he could install the bolts from the inside out. He would not need enough clearance to fit the length of a bolt; only enough for a locknut, or something similar.

I would think if you installed them without the sliders, they would also install with them. True? Any thoughts? The seat would be 1" higher but using different side mount holes should adjust for that.

If you install an aluminum seat on sliders, the seat must be fixed in position at most tracks. But this may be preferred by those who drive to the track and drive in different positions on the seat and track.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Kirkey # 47 Road racing seats see the link below
Sweet, that's the one I'm looking at! Thanks again...

Last edited by shakedown067; 01-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shakedown067
Sweet, that's the one I'm looking at! Thanks again...
The brackets he used are for C5/C6. They do not fit C4 so would not apply to that installation.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arizen
I'm glad things worked out for you.

I've always told people who wanted to install seats on our brackets without sliders they would have difficulty if the seat is positioned farther back for those with longer legs. The seat ends up over the rear floor holes and makes it hard to get to them to bolt the bracket down. If you bolt the bracket in place first, usually there isn't enough room to fit bolts from the side through the side mounts into the seats.
I would think if you installed them without the sliders, they would also install with them. True? Any thoughts? The seat would be 1" higher but using different side mount holes should adjust for that.
Mark-
Just FYI... I had the seat, rail and floor bracket all as one assembly. The seat was mounted to the rear just enough that I needed a u-joint socket with a 18" extension on the rachet, I was able to turn the nuts from above the center console and a 12" on the outside back corners.
You could squeeeezzzz your arm back in there to get the nut started. I would not want to put the seat in after the rails were mounted so this should work with most any seat. So for the guy that wants fixed seat rails this is the ticket.

G

Last edited by Gman57; 01-24-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Default For a closer look

This first shot is the area of the rail I had to cut down to clear the lap belt. I cut two bolt hole options that were not needed.
I have a metal band saw and a belt grinder that made easy work of it. Then a little touch up paint...

This is what the seat and rail looks like with the cover puled back. I used all grade 8 s/s button head bolts run from the
inside out and lock nuts.

You can see here how far back the seat sets by looking at the placement of the front bolts. The seat base
sits about 1 1/4" above the front rail and 3/4" at the rear.

I hope this puts everthing in perspective..... I wish I woud have taken the time during the install to take some pics......
Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

If anyone's thinking about getting KIRKEYs (love mine), I have a set of red fabric covers I'd sell for a decent price. I need black ones now.

*sorry to semi hi-jack the thread*

Get notified of new replies

To Kirkey's mounted with Arizen hardware!

Quick Reply: Kirkey's mounted with Arizen hardware!