Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to replace stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default When to replace stock shocks?

Hi Everyone,

With low usage HPDE in mind (3-4 events per year), what is the rule of thumb on when the stock C5Z shocks wear out? I have close to 50k mi. I would guess they should still be good if it was purely street use but for the more demanding HPDE, is that too old?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Hi Everyone,

With low usage HPDE in mind (3-4 events per year), what is the rule of thumb on when the stock C5Z shocks wear out? I have close to 50k mi. I would guess they should still be good if it was purely street use but for the more demanding HPDE, is that too old?

Thanks,

Andy
50 thousand and they are toasted. They will take more abuse on the street than the track with sudden bumps. OEM shocks don't last long at all. They are a low bid item on a car.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with John - at 50K miles they are toast and need to be replaced. If you plan on further suspension mods for HPDE, keep that in mind for your shock selection. Make sure that everything is compatible.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Like in the old days when everyone smoked you never knew how bad the ceiling had yellowed until the new paint hit it. In Carroll Shelby's book he states a bad shocks is near impossible to detect when just driving even for a expert race driver.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Andy
I just replaced the shocks on my 01 Z (73K) with 2004 model Z06 shocks. I realize that this was crude test and I am not a human shock dyno but I felt no degradation in the old shocks over the new ones.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Andy
You might get in on Randy's group buy at DRM motorsports for some great Bilsteins. You will like those
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I agree with John - at 50K miles they are toast and need to be replaced. If you plan on further suspension mods for HPDE, keep that in mind for your shock selection. Make sure that everything is compatible.
CHJ,

I don't plan on anything radical; in seriousness, I had planned to ask you about your setup. How much improvement did you get over stock--noticable? Would I get 1 sec /lap out of it at Summit main? I'd look for something that's a substantial upgrade over the stock Z suspsension but affordable and livable on the street.

What shock valving do you have on those? I thought the ones DRM is now group purchasing were for the C6Z which would not be optimal for our cars.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

CHJ,

I don't plan on anything radical; in seriousness, I had planned to ask you about your setup. How much improvement did you get over stock--noticable? Would I get 1 sec /lap out of it at Summit main? I'd look for something that's a substantial upgrade over the stock Z suspsension but affordable and livable on the street.

What shock valving do you have on those? I thought the ones DRM is now group purchasing were for the C6Z which would not be optimal for our cars.

Thanks,

Andy
fairly sure he will do C5 also in the group buy give him a call or PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Good question. I'm on the fence about buying shocks myself. My car has 142,000 miles and best I can tell, the shocks are original. They've at least been the same for five years and 50,000 miles. The car has zero float and the suspension seems plenty controlled when I go bombing over the curbs so I don't know what I'd gain by new shocks. I just had my rear suspension cradle out doing a clutch swap and hand compressed both rear shocks. They feel reasonably firm. They're certainly not blown. I have a feeling I'd gain more from upgrading my sway bars, but shocks are so cheap and mine are so old there is little to lose by buying them.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

I've noticed when the shocks get old that the ride feels much rougher. Going to a new set it seems the chassis is much more controlled. Not sure how much lap time that translates to though.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ptindall
Good question. I'm on the fence about buying shocks myself. My car has 142,000 miles and best I can tell, the shocks are original. They've at least been the same for five years and 50,000 miles. The car has zero float and the suspension seems plenty controlled when I go bombing over the curbs so I don't know what I'd gain by new shocks. I just had my rear suspension cradle out doing a clutch swap and hand compressed both rear shocks. They feel reasonably firm. They're certainly not blown. I have a feeling I'd gain more from upgrading my sway bars, but shocks are so cheap and mine are so old there is little to lose by buying them.
The ones on my truck were Bilsteins and not blown with 60,000. The ones on my Excursion were not blown at 9,000 miles. The stock ones on my Vette were not blown either when I swapped them out. All the vehicles were 100% different after the new shocks. I put Monroes on my dooley after yanking the Bisteins with 60,000 at most. I took it for a ride and thought I spent 50 grand for a new truck. They don't have to be blow to suck. They even feel good when you yank them by hand but that is why they make shock dynos.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ptindall
Good question. I'm on the fence about buying shocks myself. My car has 142,000 miles and best I can tell, the shocks are original.

hand compressed both rear shocks. .
If you can hand compress any shocks they are toast. Get some new ones and you will be amazed. Your car is probably just riding on the springs only
Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
If you can hand compress any shocks they are toast. Get some new ones and you will be amazed. Your car is probably just riding on the springs only
Oh really?

Just kidding. I hope you're right to be honest. That would mean changing them would help me a lot. It just doesn't seem like stiffer dampeners are needed based on the way the car rides now.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Just put on some C6 Z06 shocks. They feel the same as 04 Z06 shocks, but half the price. You can compress any shock by hand. At least all the shocks I've owned. If you want to spend more money, Pfadt sport shocks work pretty good.

Steve A.

Get notified of new replies

To When to replace stock shocks?

Quick Reply: When to replace stock shocks?