Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone notice this amazing win?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
newbe60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone notice this amazing win?

anyone notice that a guy put a 94 vette under a 66 vette top and wins an autocross with a budget of less then 21K for everything including the cars?

most guys in the field were spending tons on custom built frames and rears with ls7 engines.. this guy won with a car built in his garage..

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/563/97/

here's a link to the win and an interview..
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That was fun to watch. Another American that knows, "if you think it, you can do it".
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

nice burn out!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do that at an SCCA event and you'll be talking to the Safety Steward....

XP or AM class??
Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is at a Pro-Touring event in Gatlinburg, Tennessee .....probably from 2009. The gentleman in the video with the Corvette is one of the Pro-Touring Grand Poo-Bas, Brian Finch who operates a shop out of Nashville and had been very successful at Pro-Touring events that year and last year driving a LS-powered 2nd gen Camaro.

I was given the opportunity to instruct the Pro-Touring people @ Putnam Park last year for the MidWest Musclecar Challenge. I was suprised with the equipment that showed up and the friendliness of the competitors, participants and organizers. These guys are all about having a good time.....and no , it is no SCCA event , which is OK.

I again was asked to come and help last year for the Run Through the Hills 6 in Gatlinburg last year after Putnam. I went and set up their autocross and myself and three others instructed these guys all day long and had a great time. I even dusted off the 'ole 1972 LT-1 car and took it down to run. It fit the demographic perfectly and they were happy to see it. I ran in the last heat and after the 1st run people were under the car looking for all sorts of modern aluminum drivetrain and suspension components and all they found was a SBC, iron and steel components and some cob webs . Just a retro SCCA B/SP car. The car was driving me, I haven't ran this car at an autocross in 5-6 years and it was 4 years before that . These cars take a "special" touch and no one is just going to get in one and have a 95+% useage rating. Crazy fast for what they are , but NOT the easiest thing to drive. I was in sensory shock and wasn't quite sure how I used to drive this thing. Like riding a rodeo bull waiting to get bucked off....

Found some video of the old blue rocket for your entertainment: Theres no choreographed music , but there is some cool SBC noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VhxuHNk0EE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQUqP_XHRnk

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 01-27-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Cool videos Danny. My dad and I started doing track days in the mid-90s in a '72 LT-1. We used to run double-sessions at NHIS with it and never had any issues. Lots of people ask me why I don't track my '70 anymore. It's just a handful to drive these cars quickly, especially without power steering or brakes. Even though I did the LS1/T56 swap, my suspension is pretty much OE style with a bunch of VBP parts. Newer cars are just so much easier to drive faster and certainly a whole lot safer.

There is a lot to be said for bringing out the old cars and thrashing them on the track every now and then though. One of these days I'll have to tow it to GingerMan again just to re-live the old days.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone notice this amazing win?

Quick Reply: anyone notice this amazing win?