Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any guys use this hot lap tire treatment?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default any guys use this hot lap tire treatment?

I have never seen this stuff discussed before but then again not sure how many people even know of it.

my friend said he used it last season and it seemed to freshen up his tires and they seemeed to last longer.

this one is for shorter races 20 laps or less
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pro-Bl...ment,1864.html

this one is for longer races
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pro-Bl...ment,1863.html
Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 AM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never used the HotLap stuff, but used to use FormulaV when I autocrossed. For older tires that have gone past their point of 'sticky', the juice freshens them and allows you to bring them partially back to sticky. The tires would be greasy for the first run, then sticky for the next few runs, then would give up the grip. The FormulaV would allow me to put up good times and the tires did last longer.

If you have old tires that have given up their grip, it's worth a try.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

179 a gallon ? wtf ? Oval guys use brake fluid & thinner . I know one guy who puts it in a tire , then puts the set on motorized rollers .
A very greasy first lap
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

stinks to high heaven. keep it out of your garage
Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to use something like this when I raced R/C cars. Make sure you wipe it off real well before you hit the track or you'll hit the wall. Done right it made things faster on the first few laps before the tires got up to temp. Done too much it eats the damned tires.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ace996
I never used the HotLap stuff, but used to use FormulaV when I autocrossed. For older tires that have gone past their point of 'sticky', the juice freshens them and allows you to bring them partially back to sticky. The tires would be greasy for the first run, then sticky for the next few runs, then would give up the grip. The FormulaV would allow me to put up good times and the tires did last longer.

If you have old tires that have given up their grip, it's worth a try.
I can't comment on the HotLap stuff(but I would sure like to try it) but as a FormulaV user for the last 6 years; the stuff does work. Due to budget, I exclusively buy scrubs. I apply about 9 coats and let the tires rest for 72 hours before the event(I use a Rolloprep
http://www.fmskarting.com/productphotos/rolloprep1.jpg and nitrile gloves in an open area.) What I have found is on a 2 minute course, the treated tires are at their peak on the second session and are about 2 seconds faster than untreated dead rubber. The performance degrades and by the 4th 20 minute session, the treated tires are about the same and no worse than untreated tires. Your tires do last longer because when your tires are faster they don't slide as much and you minimize wheelspin. If you are running scrubs, its the cheapest "bang for the buck" performance gain you will find.

http://www.fmskarting.com/productphotos/rolloprep1.jpg

Last edited by Sidney004; 01-30-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Nitrile gloves not neoprene
Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to cover the tires , so it didnt evaporate as fast . I was using Hoosier Comanchees back in the 90s (ovals)
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM
ace996
Pro

My prep with FormulaV was this:

take all four wheels/tires OUTSIDE of the garage. I used a small paint roller to wet the tires one by one. By the time I was done with tire #4, tire #1 would be ready again. I did this for several coats. By the time the tires stayed "wet", usually 4-5 coats, I put them in garbage bags and back in the garage for a couple of days. On the night before the event, I'd take the tires out of the bags.

This allowed me to run "dead" Victoracers until there was almost no rubber left on the tire. The tires would have been rocks if I didn't use the "juice".

Be good,
TomK
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

how long did the 1 gal of formula v last?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by dvandentop
how long did the 1 gal of formula v last?
At least a season...probably 10 events...I think it actually lasted me longer. It was much cheaper than the HotLap juice...and it's less aggressive to my knowledge, too.

The FormulaV was a tip from go-carters...their tires were always wet and super sticky. A bunch of us then used it on our RC trucks/buggies...and it worked incredibly. I then took the jug of FormulaV from my nephew and tried it on my stock tires on my past MR-S Spyder...and it worked great. Then ordered a new gallon for my new Victoracers...used it after about 10 events, when the tires became hard and started giving up the grip...but they had plenty of rubber left. FormulaV allowed me to finish the season with the Championship on the same tires. And the championship the next season with the same tires....

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p..._Strengtheners
Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by ace996
At least a season...probably 10 events...I think it actually lasted me longer. It was much cheaper than the HotLap juice...and it's less aggressive to my knowledge, too.

The FormulaV was a tip from go-carters...their tires were always wet and super sticky. A bunch of us then used it on our RC trucks/buggies...and it worked incredibly. I then took the jug of FormulaV from my nephew and tried it on my stock tires on my past MR-S Spyder...and it worked great. Then ordered a new gallon for my new Victoracers...used it after about 10 events, when the tires became hard and started giving up the grip...but they had plenty of rubber left. FormulaV allowed me to finish the season with the Championship on the same tires. And the championship the next season with the same tires....

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p..._Strengtheners
damn that is good enough testimonial for me to buy some i have some hoosier vrl tires that have awesome tread left but are hard as a rock it sounds like this will freshen it up
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I've used Formula V since 1984... I worked better on the tires that were available then, less so now.

I've used it on dead V710's and it helped some, but not as much as it used to. Different tires respond differently, so your mileage may vary....

With the older Yokohamas and BFG's it brought them almost back to new. Haven't tried it with the newer Hoosiers like the A6, usually I've chorded the A6's about the time they start getting hard so it didn't look like it was worth doing on them.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Solofast
I've used Formula V since 1984... I worked better on the tires that were available then, less so now.

I've used it on dead V710's and it helped some, but not as much as it used to. Different tires respond differently, so your mileage may vary....

With the older Yokohamas and BFG's it brought them almost back to new. Haven't tried it with the newer Hoosiers like the A6, usually I've chorded the A6's about the time they start getting hard so it didn't look like it was worth doing on them.
my friend that told me about it yesterday used it on his r888 tires and said it worked good, for $30 might as well give it a go
Old 02-19-2011, 04:51 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

ordering some up now! got a $50 amazing gift cert i had forgot all about so why not order 2 gallons for the price of 1
Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ordering some up now! got a $50 amazing gift cert i had forgot all about so why not order 2 gallons for the price of 1
Report back with the results.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Report back with the results.
Live in South Dakota so it will be a few months
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

my friend that told me about it yesterday used it on his r888 tires and said it worked good, for $30 might as well give it a go

Where did you find it for $30/gal?

Get notified of new replies

To any guys use this hot lap tire treatment?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by froggy47
Where did you find it for $30/gal?
my friend said he got some for $30/gal i guess, not sure what kind it even was. so take it with a grain of salt.

i found my formula v at $39 which is pretty standard
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Live in South Dakota so it will be a few months
Yeah, like 6 more......
Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is tire treatments legal for timed events or w2w????

G

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: any guys use this hot lap tire treatment?