Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Care and feeding of Goodyear slicks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Care and feeding of Goodyear slicks?

While this isn't specifically Vette-related, I've got a new track car that I'm going to be autocrossing and DE'ing:

She's running a stock LS1/T56 with a 3.23 LSD diff out of a Cadillac SRX. Still debugging, but whooee what a ride!

I'm going to be running some Goodyear scrubs, 23/8/15, (roughly 215 width). The problem I'm running into is finding out what kind of tire pressures and tire temps to start at, and aim for at temp.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn that will be a blast and a surprise to some of those other racers!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Goodyear give any guidance on the best hot temp and pressure for their tires?

This Miata will put heat into the tires faster that a stock one due to higher accel and decell forces. I guess I would ask the other Miata drivers what their cold pressures are, then drop them by one or two psi. You will have to experiment a bit to get it perfect.

I've often thought I would want a track car with Miata handling and Corvette power. I've battled one or two of them on the track, and they were very hard to beat. Have fun.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 01-30-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Does Goodyear give any guidance on the best hot temp and pressure for their tires?
Not that I've been able to find. Best they say is "contact your local track for suggestions"

This Miata will put heat into the tires faster that a stock one due to higher accel and decell forces. I guess I would ask the other Miata drivers what their cold pressures are, then drop them by one or two psi. You will have to experiment a bit to get it perfect.
I've asked but not gotten any response from the Miata forum; the spec Miata folks use RA1s as spec tires, and I don't think those specs would translate very well.

I've often thought I would want a track car with Miata handling and Corvette power. I've battled one or two of them on the track, and they were very hard to beat. Have fun.
Oh, trust me, I will!

Thanks for the responses, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you upgraded the brakes, too.

Any Goodyear competition tire distributor should be able to give you good starting points on tire pressures. Go to www.racegoodyear.com and try the "distributors" tab.

Or...ask the guy you're getting the scuffs from. Even if he's got a car weighing another 1000lbs, his starting #'s will be close enough.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
I hope you upgraded the brakes, too.
Yup. DBA-5000 slotted (not drilled) rotors with 4 piston Wilwood calipers up front. Larger rotors in back, using stock calipers on extensions.

Also, I decided to give the tire supplier a call tomorrow; good suggestion.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

How heavy is the car? How much HP?

On a banked track with a 2,500# car I would start with 18 on the outside tires, 16 on the left front and 17 on the left rear and then punch tem for temperature. On a hot day you should get 215 on the outside and about 205 on the inside and some where in the middle in the middle.

Go up about 2 psi on a flat track.

Jim
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I haven't weighed her yet, but in street trim she was 2500 before the conversion. My hope is for around 2650-2700 in track trim.

For autocross, where tire temps can be less than consistent, should I just go with the lowest pressure that keeps from rolling over onto the sidewalls?

One other thing: I know an old school pyrometer reads the temperature under the surface, but is an IR scanner useable?

Still gonna call the supplier tomorrow, but thanks for the info anyway. Gives my brain stuff to think about!

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Care and feeding of Goodyear slicks?

Quick Reply: Care and feeding of Goodyear slicks?