Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacement advice

Just my luck, I went out for a quick drive to burnish my new pads and rotors. That quick drive resulted in a nail right thru the center of my right rear Nitto NT555RII. I got the tire patched on the inside, to get me back home.

Question, I don't feel safe using this tire again in HPDE events. Do I need to replace both rear tires, all four tires, or can I just purchase another single tire for the right rear?

The tires on my car were not that old and likely would have lasted me thru the 4 events at Rd Atlanta that I intent to do this year. I ask because I have little experience with the R compound type tires.
I really do not know what the correct proceedure is or if it matters. Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
sebdavid
Pro

I wouldn't drive with a repaired tire on track.

I would replace only that one tire, and put it on the corner that sees the most wear on the particular track you're driving at. If you don't have a choice of front/rear, put it on the side that sees the most wear.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patched tires are just fine.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to the manufactures web site and they should have repair procedures listed. I have run patched tires and not worried. I know Michelin's when patched maintain there speed rating when done once and properly.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use it. You will be behind me so I won't worry
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Use it. You will be behind me so I won't worry....ha ha

Why do you think I put new pads, rotors, fluid, ss lines, etc. I plan on staying ahead the next time we meet. Hopefully in early March. By the way, I will pack some of the old rotors for you.

I guess what I really need is an extra set of wheels. Then I could start running slicks, but that means a trailer, etc. I most likely have to drive to the events one more year which is why I was hoping to get one more season out of the Nitto's.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Same thing happened to me and I worried about it for too long until I finally started running on it again. Never had a problem. I'd run it and never even think about it again.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MYRX
Then I could start running slicks, but that means a trailer, etc. I most likely have to drive to the events one more year which is why I was hoping to get one more season out of the Nitto's.
tire trailer
Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Patched tires are just fine.
Originally Posted by drivinhard
tire trailer
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
flangley
Advanced

Default Tire repair

Originally Posted by MYRX
Just my luck, I went out for a quick drive to burnish my new pads and rotors. That quick drive resulted in a nail right thru the center of my right rear Nitto NT555RII. I got the tire patched on the inside, to get me back home.

Question, I don't feel safe using this tire again in HPDE events. Do I need to replace both rear tires, all four tires, or can I just purchase another single tire for the right rear?

The tires on my car were not that old and likely would have lasted me thru the 4 events at Rd Atlanta that I intent to do this year. I ask because I have little experience with the R compound type tires.
I really do not know what the correct proceedure is or if it matters. Thanks for your advice.
Make sure this tire was repaired with a inside plug patch-not just a inside patch. A non plug patch will allow moisture into the belts and overtime will cause belt problems. I own tire stores and I am speaking from experience and also race my corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire replacement advice

Quick Reply: Tire replacement advice