Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are C6 motor mounts really filled with fluid?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Are C6 motor mounts really filled with fluid?

I had my car in the shop and they took these pictures that appear to show that liquid is leaking out of one of my motor mounts....Do they have fluid in them? Does this mount need to be replaced. If it does need to be replaced....what is recommended for a car that is a daily driver and track toy?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:22 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The dealer replaced three mounts (under warranty) in two years before I went to solid Pfadt's. And yes, they contain that nasty brown fluid. If you track your car the OEM mounts will fail.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
The dealer replaced three mounts (under warranty) in two years before I went to solid Pfadt's. And yes, they contain that nasty brown fluid. If you track your car the OEM mounts will fail.
Thanks for the information.

I just found out that these mounts are covered under the 100k mile powertrain warranty. I have to say that I didn't expect that. I wonder if they would replace them with the Pfadts if I provided the parts? I will have to ask them tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Thanks for the information.

I just found out that these mounts are covered under the 100k mile powertrain warranty. I have to say that I didn't expect that. I wonder if they would replace them with the Pfadts if I provided the parts? I will have to ask them tomorrow.
My dealer wouldn't as they said they had to warranty the replacements but that might only be because the last were replaced under extended warranty. So, I changed to the solids myself the following day and have a new pair of OEM leftover.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you weigh in on how the Pfadt mounts are all around? I'm cammed so going to a solid or urethane mount seems like a bad idea for me as the car has a pretty healthy lope but I'm still interested for this very reason above.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wished there was something that's in between the factory ones and the Pfadts. The solid ones are a little overkill for me. I just want something that's strong and wont break, yet wont transmit a lot of vibration into the car.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
I wished there was something that's in between the factory ones and the Pfadts. The solid ones are a little overkill for me. I just want something that's strong and wont break, yet wont transmit a lot of vibration into the car.

^^^^ EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

Hinson(Vendor) has the urethane ones and says they should be the happy median here but I'm still waiting to hear from someone with a cam that installs these things.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 02-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"The soft stock mounts allow power-robbing movement that shakes the car and can break parts." --pfadt

How much "power" is actually being robbed from the stock mounts vs a solid one???
Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
^^^^ EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

Hinson(Vendor) has the urethane ones and says they should be the happy median here but I'm still waiting to hear from someone with a cam that installs these things.
I don't have a cam or any other motor mods for that matter. I can say that you will feel the motor with the Pfadt's but I expected that. The Hinson's may provide some insulation from vibration.

Originally Posted by throwit
"The soft stock mounts allow power-robbing movement that shakes the car and can break parts." --pfadt

How much "power" is actually being robbed from the stock mounts vs a solid one???
Well, Pfadt is certainly correct that parts break with the OEM mounts as the mounts themselves self-destruct. I imagine the movement will effect other parts as well. With the solid mounts the application of power seems to be more direct but that's just seat of the pants.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throttle response is better & drivetrain "play" or "slop" feel is reduced with any solid mounts like the Pfadt, and I suspect the Hinson. The Pfadt do increase NVH a noticeable amount. They have 2 bushings available, hard=race and softer=street/track. I've tried both and they both are hard & transmit more NVH. Use the soft unless you are pure race. With the soft at least the main problem time is idle. Above that they're fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a set of factory mounts that are in good shape, replaced with Pfadt's. $50.00 shipped if anyone can use them. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 02-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:05 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How difficult to replace? Appears fairly straight forward. Or, would you recommend waiting until replacing something else under the motor before swapping to Pfadt's.

Also, I imagine you would need to swap transmission mount at same time, for a stiffer one.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most motor mounts are fluid filled. On a lot of cars other suspension bushings are also fluid filled.

Originally Posted by 4wheels
With the soft at least the main problem time is idle. Above that they're fine.
With mine It's worst around 2500 RPM, which is sort of annoying since I'm most often trying to maintain speed or slowly accelerate at that rpm.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
4wheels
Pro

Originally Posted by BoosterClub
Most motor mounts are fluid filled. On a lot of cars other suspension bushings are also fluid filled.

With mine It's worst around 2500 RPM, which is sort of annoying since I'm most often trying to maintain speed or slowly accelerate at that rpm.
Are you using the softer or harder of the 2 bushings? Many shops that sell the mounts don't even know there are 2 options, and the default from Pfadt used to be the harder race bushing. Mine came with those, and were noisy. Swapped in the softer after talking with Aaron & they're almost livable now for street/track. At idle (slightly higher than stock) I get interior buzzing. Also some more trans noise is transmitted into the cabin (I have both Pfadt engine & trans mounts with the softer bushings). Above 1k they're fine, with just a hint more gear noise & vibe transmitted.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheels
Are you using the softer or harder of the 2 bushings? Many shops that sell the mounts don't even know there are 2 options, and the default from Pfadt used to be the harder race bushing. Mine came with those, and were noisy. Swapped in the softer after talking with Aaron & they're almost livable now for street/track. At idle (slightly higher than stock) I get interior buzzing. Also some more trans noise is transmitted into the cabin (I have both Pfadt engine & trans mounts with the softer bushings). Above 1k they're fine, with just a hint more gear noise & vibe transmitted.
Bought them straight from pfadt maybe a month ago, so whatever they shipped. The urethane part was black.

I'd prefer the more solid anyway though despite the vibrations since I have big plans for the car.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
4wheels
Pro

You likely have the harder bushings installed. I believe they are the default if nothing is specified (mine came with the hard bushings as well & I had to change them).

BTW the softer ones are not "soft" by any definition. They still act 10x harder than stock! Both bushings are black & have the same #'s molded into them, the only way to tell is to have both in your hands & press your fingernail into them or use a durometer meter. With the soft ones you can slightly push your fingernail into them & it stays for a second, where the hard ones almost no depression or mark is made.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey thanks guys for recommending our products.

Our engine mounts are a fantastic addition to corvettes with power adders, but each case will be different in terms of added NVH. We engineered them to have streetable NVH values with stock powertrains, unfortunately adding things like aftermarket cams and headers can change the severity of this.

It is a good idea to get user feedback. As some have pointed out they have no negative NVH with our mounts. If you were looking to mitigate wheel hop or powertrain shake I would certainly look into the trans products you posted about already. They have proven results to aiding this problem.

We should stress the point that these mounts are NOT solid whatsoever. They contain polyurethane bushings, just like other popular aftermarket options. We no longer offer two different durometers(stiffnesses) when ordering these, as some have suggested. We have found that everyone liked to order the softer of the two, so we discontinued the harder versions.

If anyone is interested in checking the install procedure, we have it posted online here: http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-mount-kit.pdf

Basically, because NVH is such a subjective concern, we can not give you a definitive answer on how much increase to expect if any at all. Hope this helps!

Please do not hesitated to post any questions you still have on these mounts.

Get notified of new replies

To Are C6 motor mounts really filled with fluid?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are C6 motor mounts really filled with fluid?