Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's a NASA TT'er and NCCC Member?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Who's a NASA TT'er and NCCC Member?

The National Council of Corvette Clubs in a fun Club for many Corvette owners who participate in many of their competition events but for several years has resisted the urging of some members to run wheel to wheel and/or time trial type events.
Since the NCCC has opened the door to use Time Trial events from other sanctioning bodies (like NASA and SCCA) as piggybacked NCCC high speed autocross points events, several of us have wondered what the interest in such an event would be.
Are there very NCCC members out there that run Time Trials with NASA or SCCA (or others that I don't know about) that would be interested in haveing their TT event count for NCCC points too. There would be an additional fee involved to enter the NCCC event but I cannot say what the sanctioning Club would charge.
There were some test events run on the West Coast and I'm interested in trying it out at Roebling with NASA or maybe SCCA this year.

Locke McCormick
North Florida Corvette Assoc., NCCC
Buccaneer Region, SCCA
Jacksonville, FL
Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I would be if the fees were not excessive.
Don Parks tried to get me to come out to an autocross, but it never worked into the NASA-SE calendar. I did attend the NCCC high speed event at Roebling.
I instruct for NASA-SE and run Time Trial s with them.

James
Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I firmly believe NCCC should be into Club Racing and Time Trials and have pushed for that in the distant past but the upper echelons of NCCC don't see it as a fit. I assume all of the people participating would have to be members of both NCCC and/or NASA/SCCA depending on which body sanctions the primary event. What happens if NCCC members want to participate but aren't members of the other organizations?

Bill
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I would be interested. I am a member of NCCC and working on getting my TT license. I have been pushing our local club to do more high speed events but people just dont show up. Most of them have newer cars and would rather do low speeds than risk their expensive cars. If I could get points for the NASA events too that would be cool, but I dont really chase NCCC points anymore. The way the run their events, you have like 4-5 "events" in one day and it boils down to who just shows up more, not who wins.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I firmly believe NCCC should be into Club Racing and Time Trials and have pushed for that in the distant past but the upper echelons of NCCC don't see it as a fit. I assume all of the people participating would have to be members of both NCCC and/or NASA/SCCA depending on which body sanctions the primary event. What happens if NCCC members want to participate but aren't members of the other organizations?

Bill
I agree Bill, I would love to see NCCC do TT and Club Racing events!
NCCC is loosing members like crazy and cant figure out why, NASA membership on the other hand is growing.
On another note, I have recently joined NASA Im looking forward to competing with them.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Been an NCCC member for almost 15 years and this will be my second season in NASA TT. Our Vette club ran a high speed autox weekend at Brainerd Int'l for 30 years. Speeds in excess of 160 mph on the straight and 130 through turn 1. Our club quit that event 2 years ago resulting in me and a few other club members joining NASA. A combined event would be interesting.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Been an NCCC member for almost 15 years and this will be my second season in NASA TT. Our Vette club ran a high speed autox weekend at Brainerd Int'l for 30 years. Speeds in excess of 160 mph on the straight and 130 through turn 1. Our club quit that event 2 years ago resulting in me and a few other club members joining NASA. A combined event would be interesting.
That's driving! Our Corvette Club does NASA TT and ASA TT But we go faster
Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Holy crap! Now that's an auto-x
Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested! It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
In my opinion NCCC has really missed a great opportunity by not having something to offer for the people that want to do track ( i.e. HPDE & Time trial) events.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the sole purpose of setting up my new z this winter..... NCCC and NASA
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rustyguns
That's driving! Our Corvette Club does NASA TT and ASA TT But we go faster
But Rusty, ACR *Arizona Corvette Racing) is not NCCC sanction club. They are the one of fastest groups of Corvettes in the country. Ask Rocky Mountain NASA, teehee.

ACC (Arizona Competition Corvettes) is NCCC. Many many members are accomplished autocrossers.

I am a NASA licensed TT'er and a NCCC member.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Been a NCCC member for 21 years, SCCA member for 9 and a NASA member for 6 years.

I would love to see this too but I just don't think this will work! Most NCCC members have never delt with passing or having more than one car on the track at a time doing TT's and they just dont' care to try. They are in a comfort zone and dont want change.

I have suggested this many times and offered to assist but they just don't want to hear it.

NCCC will be gone down the road if they don't try something new. Plus, no offence to anyone, but Angie and I are the youngest active NCCC members here in Ohio and probably right up there across the USA.

I know there are a few in Indiana and elsewhere. Most 2nd generation kids went on to other things so there is nobody to continue NCCC as our parents/older members are getting up there in age and have already done this stuff for 40 years.

Just my .02 worth!

Aaron Quine
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Been a NCCC member for 21 years, SCCA member for 9 and a NASA member for 6 years.

I would love to see this too but I just don't think this will work! Most NCCC members have never delt with passing or having more than one car on the track at a time doing TT's and they just dont' care to try. They are in a comfort zone and dont want change.

I have suggested this many times and offered to assist but they just don't want to hear it.

NCCC will be gone down the road if they don't try something new. Plus, no offence to anyone, but Angie and I are the youngest active NCCC members here in Ohio and probably right up there across the USA.

I know there are a few in Indiana and elsewhere. Most 2nd generation kids went on to other things so there is nobody to continue NCCC as our parents/older members are getting up there in age and have already done this stuff for 40 years.

Just my .02 worth!

Aaron Quine
I agree Aaron. NCCC has done very little, if anything to appeal to younger people. If that keeps up NCCC will cease to exist in a few years. That's a whole different topic that could go on for a while.

Anyway, back to the original post. I want to try the TT stuff but I have to get a second seat mounted so an instructor can ride along and teach me how to do it then get me certified.

NCCC's version of high speed certification isn't going to be accepted by any real sanctioning body with a brain. What is it now, 10 low speed events spread over two or three weekends and according to NCCC you're OK to drive at 130+ MPH on a real track? I'm a little doubtful that a couple of weekends of parking lot racing qualifies anyone, myself included, to run at a real track at serious speeds. That's why I want a second seat before I do it so someone that is qualified can teach me so I don't kill someone out there.

I would think NASA, or any other group (SCCA, Chin, SeatTime, etc) putting on a event would be a little hesitant to have a bunch of people who (potentially) have no experience driving on a track out there at the same time with their usual, experienced participants. Let's face it, just because you can write a check for a new Z06 doesn't magically make you Ron Fellows as some people seem to think.

Last edited by jwt1603; 02-05-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NCCC license was the first one I got. I let it lapse along with my local corvette club membership, but it was cool to have. I'd love to see the NCCC do a TT program. Since you're basically saying you won't have insurance (timed event), offering some sort of contingency award for the top folks would be good. Just a thought.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Just my .02 worth!

Aaron Quine
Sounds like it is time to pass the flag to the younger folks or NCCC is another empty club soon. A bunch have died off in the last 10 years

I hope this next generation has a few leaders in it
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

but Angie and I are the youngest active NCCC members here in Ohio and probably right up there across the USA.

I think I got you beat!

In all seriousness you are right. Around here it is mostly older folks who are happy with their low speeds and shows. No one wants a high speed anymore.

My grandpa (been in NCCC since the '70s, officer for the past several years) is trying to schedule a timed track event/fun day at Nelson's Ledges but has been shot down several times.

Last edited by Kubs; 02-05-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know I've said it before, but the only way to change NCCC is to get involved and do it yourself. NCCC is just a bunch of volunteers. If you want something changed, run for office. It's the RCDs and Governors that make those decisions. If we can get people in the right positions, those changes can be made. I guess I am just tired of people complaining that things aren't the way they want them to be but still don't do anything about it. But then again, that is the way our society is for everything nowadays.

I know my dad has lobbied for getting a WTW series going and was one that was on board for the TT events getting sanctioned. But, there are still alot of people that have been around for a long time that are content with the way things are.

We in our club just went through a battle wether we were even going to stay in NCCC. It wasn't because our members want to do HPDE, TT, or WTW racing. Our members only want to cruise to dinner, look at light houses, and take color tours up to vermont. They have no interest in racing at all. I am sure that is the way it is for most clubs in NCCC. Most corvetters don't want to race their cars. They just want to show them off. We here in the Autocrossing/RR are really in the minority of corvette owners.

Personally, I would love to do some of those TTs but I don't have the car for it, nor the funds. I can barely afford to do the low speed events I do now. If a club in Indiana would hold one of those events, I would support is as best as I can.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's a NASA TT'er and NCCC Member?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by vettehardt
I know I've said it before, but the only way to change NCCC is to get involved and do it yourself. NCCC is just a bunch of volunteers. If you want something changed, run for office. It's the RCDs and Governors that make those decisions. If we can get people in the right positions, those changes can be made. I guess I am just tired of people complaining that things aren't the way they want them to be but still don't do anything about it. But then again, that is the way our society is for everything nowadays.

I know my dad has lobbied for getting a WTW series going and was one that was on board for the TT events getting sanctioned. But, there are still alot of people that have been around for a long time that are content with the way things are.

We in our club just went through a battle wether we were even going to stay in NCCC. It wasn't because our members want to do HPDE, TT, or WTW racing. Our members only want to cruise to dinner, look at light houses, and take color tours up to vermont. They have no interest in racing at all. I am sure that is the way it is for most clubs in NCCC. Most corvetters don't want to race their cars. They just want to show them off. We here in the Autocrossing/RR are really in the minority of corvette owners.

Personally, I would love to do some of those TTs but I don't have the car for it, nor the funds. I can barely afford to do the low speed events I do now. If a club in Indiana would hold one of those events, I would support is as best as I can.
Even when you get involved it may not make a difference. You need enough people across the country to be involved which requires some organization. When I was an RCD I was trying to get rules written for HPDEs and for High Speed Licensing. There was a fair amount of agreeement in the committee but not enough. One RCD was overly **** worrying about passing during HPDEs. He didn't want it and thought it was totally unsafe.

The other problem is we are a minority of Corvette Owners. The vast majority want to sit around and talk about how fast their cars are without actually driving them fast. I am 69 and just don't understand that attitude. I was watching the American Icon the Hot Rod series on Discovery and remembered the comment one of the pre-WWII hot rodders made. If your car couldn't go 90 mph you weren't allowed to join the club. Should still be that way. When I was a young kid those guys were still out running their cars hard. If you can't prove it can run you shouldn't be able to join a real car club or show your car.

I guess I am just being grumpy.

Bill
Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Even when you get involved it may not make a difference. You need enough people across the country to be involved which requires some organization. When I was an RCD I was trying to get rules written for HPDEs and for High Speed Licensing. There was a fair amount of agreeement in the committee but not enough. One RCD was overly **** worrying about passing during HPDEs. He didn't want it and thought it was totally unsafe.

The other problem is we are a minority of Corvette Owners. The vast majority want to sit around and talk about how fast their cars are without actually driving them fast. I am 69 and just don't understand that attitude. I was watching the American Icon the Hot Rod series on Discovery and remembered the comment one of the pre-WWII hot rodders made. If your car couldn't go 90 mph you weren't allowed to join the club. Should still be that way. When I was a young kid those guys were still out running their cars hard. If you can't prove it can run you shouldn't be able to join a real car club or show your car.

I guess I am just being grumpy.

Bill
AND YOUR CAR HAS TO DO 150+ MPH!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rustyguns
AND YOUR CAR HAS TO DO 150+ MPH!
My car doesn't have a problem with that but there are few owners of older models that might not be able to get that speed so why don't we lower it to 130. It would be hilarious if a club nowadays had that kind of requirement. When somebody asks how they can become a member you show them the track they have to go to and how they certify the speed they achieved. Bet there would be some jaw dropping.

Bill

Quick Reply: Who's a NASA TT'er and NCCC Member?