Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 brake upgrades for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZR1 brake upgrades for track use?

I recently placed an order for a new ZR1. I plan to use it as a daily driver but also do maybe 10-12 HPDE track days per year (if I'm lucky!). Spring Mountain uses their ZR1s on the track every day and they leave everything totally stock, including DOT 3. Whien I emailed them re: their experience, they are getting 5-6K miles from pads and 12K miles from rotors with all-track use.

I plan to use good DOT 4 fluid at the least, but in terms of performance and durability for this kind of use, how many would use or have used

1. cooling ducts
2. stainless lines
3. stainless pedal covers (just threw that one in; does anybody have these and do they make heel-toe any easier or are they just for looks?)

I realize some may replace the rotors, etc with less expensive steel components but I would think the limited use as describes would not mean relegating the carbon ceramic units to street driving only. It seems to defeat the point. I'm not trying to open that can o' worms yet.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the Spring Mountain input should guide your decision. It is amazing that they are getting 5-6K Track miles from the ceramic pads. That should be several years at your projected max usage !! If you really have to do something, I would change to stainless lines and high temp fluid. As for the rest of the system IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT !!! As for pedal extensions, your right foot and shoe size will answer that question the first time you drive the car --- ENJOY !!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed the Elite Engineering gas pedal on my C5Z. I haven't tried it at the track yet put from my experience on the street I think it will make heel-toe shifting much easier.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
I just installed the Elite Engineering gas pedal on my C5Z. I haven't tried it at the track yet put from my experience on the street I think it will make heel-toe shifting much easier.
Did you go with their "standard" pedal or the even wider heel-toe pedal they are showing on the web site?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gmccreary
Cheater
Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Did you go with their "standard" pedal or the even wider heel-toe pedal they are showing on the web site?
I put their heel and toe pedal on my C6Z. I have narrow feet, so the stock pedal locations made heel and toe at the track sketchy at best. Ran an HPDE two weeks ago, and it was a huge improvement. Full confidence to heel and toe in some heavy braking zones now. Definitely would recommend it for anyone without Sasquatch feet.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
I put their heel and toe pedal on my C6Z. I have narrow feet, so the stock pedal locations made heel and toe at the track sketchy at best. Ran an HPDE two weeks ago, and it was a huge improvement. Full confidence to heel and toe in some heavy braking zones now. Definitely would recommend it for anyone without Sasquatch feet.
I'm only a 7.5 shoe and the only car I've ever driven with the pedal extension was a royal PITA for me. I kept getting gas when all I wanted was brake. I do have a wide foot, though... but once it's shoved in to the Simpson shoes...
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I have the wider Elite pedal, but have had issues when braking hard at times,my foot hits the gas pedal at the same time. Kind of thinking to switch to the Elite standard pedal or back to stock.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by punz
I have the wider Elite pedal, but have had issues when braking hard at times,my foot hits the gas pedal at the same time. Kind of thinking to switch to the Elite standard pedal or back to stock.
I've had that happen with the stock pedals. Have to learn to tilt your foot to the left real quick to get off the gas.

Bill
Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
I bought the heel-toe pedal
Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The ZR1 brakes are very good for HPDEs. They do need to be heat cycled somewhat. Series of progressively harder brakings to turn the brake pads from gray to more of a whitish gray.

The other thing is a different brake style, you may not be able to be a last min braking with the carbon pads and rotors. vs iron.

the pads and rotors cool very very quickly.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Would not be happy to see the price tag on those rotors when they need to be replaced. Also, that sounds like a LONG amount of wear under track conditions, but it could potentially could be believable based on a few factors:

1) Most of the drivers are total pure novices and are barely driving the cars.
2) If they use stock pads, the rotors are not getting nearly as hot as they would with race pads, hence the longer life.
3) They probably use street tires, and 95% of your braking performance comes from your tires, the calipers and rotors just need to withstand the heat of the pad and the grip of the tires. Using street tires changes the whole dynamic.

To your original post, just use good high temp quality brake fluid and get a complete flush.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have video of a stock ZR1 on Road America driven by a quite competent driver, and a C6Z06 with StopTechs, hawk DTC60s and Hooser Rs. also driven by a competent driver.

on the straights without traffic the ZR1 would walk from the Z06. But into the brake zones the Z06 could out brake and catch the ZR1 every corner.

Eventually the Z06 passed the ZR1 and slowly pulled away. Most do to better and deeper braking into corners.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I have video of a stock ZR1 on Road America driven by a quite competent driver, and a C6Z06 with StopTechs, hawk DTC60s and Hooser Rs. also driven by a competent driver.

on the straights without traffic the ZR1 would walk from the Z06. But into the brake zones the Z06 could out brake and catch the ZR1 every corner.

Eventually the Z06 passed the ZR1 and slowly pulled away. Most do to better and deeper braking into corners.
post it we need some winter entertainment!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Why do you guys keep mentioning "Winter", race season has already started!!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I beleive it in a heartbeat! But if that ZR1 was on Hoosiers and had a set of track pads, what would happen then???
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 brake upgrades for track use?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Why do you guys keep mentioning "Winter", race season has already started!!
Thats why noone likes Californians.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I beleive it in a heartbeat! But if that ZR1 was on Hoosiers and had a set of track pads, what would happen then???

The tires alone make the comparison less impressive.
Also whoever was driving the ZR1 wasn't driving there own car and more than likely they were holding back a little - I know I would - and the C6Z driver could push as hard as he wanted running his own car.
I typically agree with Tom but this isn't a fair comparsion of what the brake systems capabilities are.

I'll also wouldn't say that just because the drivers are novice at Spring Mountian doesn't mean that they are easy on the brakes. I've found that your typical novice will over-use the brakes and actually be a little harder on them than someone more framiliar with there own car at a DE. Especially in a car like the ZR1 that has some serious closing speed.

Oh yeah pedal extender for the gas is a good idea, anything that makes your life easier is a good thing.

And I agree with Wally no one wants to hear from how people are racing in Cali already!! It was 3 degrees on my way to work this morning.....3! wind chill is around -15! But the Packers won the Super Bowl and that warms me up right there!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM
fastrash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=But the Packers won the Super Bowl and that warms me up right there! [/QUOTE]

Was there some moo cow involved in the celebration????

Quick Reply: ZR1 brake upgrades for track use?